SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Distance Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Distance Question Login/Join 
Picture of schrack
posted
Can the same distance chart be used with all powers of scopes and binoculars? The formula to calculate is the same. I also noticed whether it's 7x50 , 8x30, and 10x50 the object at the end of the street shows 1.7 on all scales.

Posts: 2490 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh? I don’t understand what you’re talking about with binoculars. Do they have ranging reticles in the lenses?

If so, then the spacing has been adjusted for the power.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
If so, then the spacing has been adjusted for the power.

I don’t know that I understand either.

But yes, if different optical devices have some sort of rangefinding reticles, then they will obviously be designed to be accurate for the specific magnification power of the device. If they weren’t, then they would all yield different results and therefore be worse than useless. That problem occurs with variable power second focal plane riflescopes. If the magnification power isn’t set at the proper one that the reticle is calibrated for, then any distance estimates based on the reticle won’t be accurate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
Yes most military have a range finder in one of the lenses, they also have a formula to compute distance, Steiners use the right lenses, Fuji uses the left lens. I think it was hit right on the head, each distance is calibrated to the lense power. Thanks for the for making it clear. That is why to formula is standard.

Posts: 2490 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post