SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If you are going to text me....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you are going to text me.... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
...then acknowledge my f'ing response.

MAJOR pet peeve of mine.

Friend: "Meet for lunch today?"
ME: "Sure, when/where?"
Friend...<no response for about an hour> AppleBee's?
Me: "Perfect. 1pm?"
Friend:...<no response for about an hour> 1pm.

If you are going to text me, and I am the type who responds immediately, that don't make me wait an hour for your response!

My wife and sister do the same damn thing. I'm often at my computer and answer text messages within seconds. They would have to literally hit "send" and throw their phone across the room for them not to know that I have responded to their question.

Yeah, I know I'm old fashioned about such things, but if you are trading information back and forth, it would seem that an acknowledgement of some type is due at the end of the conversation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. But using iPhones on Verizon, I've noticed that replies get lost for a while and can take 5-10 minutes to show up in my phone. And after a minutee or two of waiting, I put my phone down to do something else and an hour later I notice you texted....

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I cease texting those people back immediately.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
They would have to literally hit "send" and throw their phone across the room for them not to know that I have responded to their question.

Now that's funny. I've watched my wife do something similar, just buzzing around the house texting inbetween cleaning and kid stuff.

Drives me insane. It's not email, don't use it like it is.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
It sounds like ur lunch buddy maybe asked several people separately and took in thier mind "the best offer." I had someone do that to me once, thirty minutes later they said oh sorry ive got plans after asking me.... I ceased talking to them.

I agree. Dont text me and disappear consistently.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smart phones and computers together are the biggest causes of the escalation of rudeness and lack of social graces there are.
Everyone has their nose planted in a cell phone. People no longer exist.

Posts: 162 | Registered: April 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I think you seriously need to un-friend that person. Not for his annoying text faux pas but because he suggested Applebees Razz

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent rant and in full agreement. My kid is expert at this tactic.
It makes me want to hunt him down and.....
We have a modern device for instant, concise communication and idiots can screw it up! Mad

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been to a nice size sit down restaurant lately and watch the young people text while they're eating?

Crazy.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree OP.

I have texted my friend and sometimes he does not respond for two days. Who does not look at their phone for 2 days? He is retired. My son does the same thing sometimes, but he works...a lot.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I use text but I see the beauty of text as you can wait until you're good and ready to reply.

If you want immediacy, then call them back instead of texting them.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with the OP. And while your at it, how about don't text me if you don't mean it right now. The people that text me at 2am know I don't ever turn off my phone.
My last pay peroid, I worked 80 hrs + 108 hrs of OT. Not Firefighter OT, no sleeping or BBQing (sorry had to Smile and my sister texts me while I'm sleeping to ask about her kids recital. She was up cause her husband works the nightshift. Since I was up, I felt compelled to answer her. And then felt compelled to apologise the next morning.

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If only they would invent a device that you could carry with you and actually TALK to other people.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
I'm with you. But using iPhones on Verizon, I've noticed that replies get lost for a while and can take 5-10 minutes to show up in my phone. And after a minutee or two of waiting, I put my phone down to do something else and an hour later I notice you texted....

That perhaps is a NOVA or large urban area phenomenon. I moved to AZ after 30 years in MD. Out here, texts on VZ appear instantly. How do I know? I have all of my credit card accounts set to send a text alert for any purchase over $0.99, which means virtually any purchase. I hear my iPhone chime within seconds of making any purchase, at a POS terminal or online.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
My boss at a gun shop I occasionally do some part time work at is fairly bad about replying back via text.

I think she checks her phone every other day or so, ( it sometimes seems like ) for text replies.. sometimes I won't even get a reply back on a question I send her. Nice, older lady but this is one annoying habit she has.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I think he was lowballing.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
My iPhone does not give a signal if the response comes shortly after I sent a text. I've put down the phone after sending a text and found the response sometime later.

So I then respond late because I didn't get a signal that the other person responded.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:

I've had messages (both text and iMessage) take up to 24 hours to work their way through "the system." iMessage is usually better than that, but it can and does happen.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Bumping this because today....

...my wife
...my sister

See OP for rant

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Ronin,

Please let us know your number so those of us here can text you correctly.
Cool

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post