SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If you are going to text me....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you are going to text me.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I know quite a few people like this and a couple of them are glued to their phone so I know they saw the text.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
iMessage on the iPhone even shows that it was read and people still do it!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've had the delayed message thing with Sprint also.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Try having this be your own kids, whose phone you are paying for!!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Try having this be your own kids, whose phone you are paying for!!!

I did. Once....with Verizon I can 'switch off' their phones from my laptop. 3 days later...lesson learned.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Don't text me at all and expect a response. I don't text, and the text feature on my phone is disabled. Despite me telling this to everyone I give my number to, there are still a few people who will periodically ask me, "Did you get the text I sent you?"

I agree with the OP; if you are the one who initiated the text conversation then you need to follow up in a timely manner.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
On a somewhat related topic, folks who email you asking for advice, and you put your thoughts and time into the response, and they never acknowledge it with a reply, really annoy me. And these are people that I never had contact with previously. Out of the blue, they just contacted me. I have no problems with helping you out. In fact, I always love to help out. At least, acknowledge it with a response. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
John,

You seem to be getting quicker responses on SF than Texting.

I'm connected with several IM apps, and one that shows the status of the other person. If you have a "green" available status and you do not respond within a few seconds WTH are you doing? You are not presenting or in a meeting.

It does seem that in the new world of "instant" communications it is at the leisure of the other party you are trying to contact.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Ronin,

Please let us know your number so those of us here can text you correctly.
Cool

Yup, I'll respond quick and go have a beer with you at Applebees.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I used to respond immediately to text messages but most of my friends are the type the OP is complaining about. After a great many years, I just adopted the practice since it's obvious that a real-time conversation isn't all that important to anyone I know.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mkueffer:
John,

I'm connected with several IM apps, and one that shows the status of the other person. If you have a "green" available status and you do not respond within a few seconds WTH are you doing? You are not presenting or in a meeting.

It does seem that in the new world of "instant" communications it is at the leisure of the other party you are trying to contact.

LOL!

To be fair, my only gripe is with people who send me a text message first, and then when I reply to them literally within seconds, they do not respond to my question for minutes to hours later.

As I said in my OP, they would have to throw the phone across the room as soon as they hit send not to see my response.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by mkueffer:
John,

LOL!

To be fair, my only gripe is with people who send me a text message first, and then when I reply to them literally within seconds, they do not respond to my question for minutes to hours later.

As I said in my OP, they would have to throw the tphone across the room as soon as they hit send not to see my response.

You gripe if they don't answer you within minutes? Hours, you might have a case, but minutes? You, sir, are not the President. Wink

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I will always respond to you

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have friends that text right back, and one in particular that just doesn't reply on a timely basis unless it's something he is really interested in, then he is on top of the text/email/calls.

Same thing on motorcycle rides, he'll lag back go slower, cause us to hit lights we shouldn't hit, doesn't matter as long as its what he wants, last ride he did that I just left him at the light, after the 5th or 6th light he did it on met him at the restaurant.. But if he wants to get somewhere he'll fly, so now we all slow down when we know he's in a hustle mode, LOL

Yeah it's the only fun I have anymore...

He'll text you back 4 to 5 hours later and make up an excuse that his phone was on the charger or that it was on vibrate, only thing is I get notifications that he was posting during that time on fartbook in a cigar forum we're both in, so he lies about it.

So now when he texts me about something he really is interested in, I take 4 to 5 hours to respond to him... Big Grin

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasbag:
Smart phones and computers together are the biggest causes of the escalation of rudeness and lack of social graces there are.
Everyone has their nose planted in a cell phone. People no longer exist.

Amen, recently at a restaurant, I noticed 99% of the sombies(phone zombies)absorbed in those handheld addiction cases.

No one was talking to each other, but I did talk to the cute waitress cause I wasn't on the phone

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I use text but I see the beauty of text as you can wait until you're good and ready to reply.

If you want immediacy, then call them back instead of texting them.

This exactly. Texting, like email, is asynchronous. It's not a conversation. If you want conversation, call.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post