SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Turn on your headlights when driving in the fog you idiots
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turn on your headlights when driving in the fog you idiots Login/Join 
Picture of rexles
posted
It's been foggy the last couple days in NW Ohio and I can not believe the number of idiots driving with no headlights.
I realize you can see with a quarter mile or less visibility, but it is a little hard seeing you in a grey or white car.
Ohio has a windshield wiper law as well and folks don't have their lights on then either.
That is all!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not know they had a windshield wiper law in Ohio. This is common here in the South:

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Turn on your headlights when driving in the fog you idiots

And in any inclement weather, as well as dawn and dusk. Just because you can see where you're going doesn't mean you can be seen. I have become a fan of daytime running lights even in clear weather.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

I am in N.W. Ohio and ran to the grocery after 8pm tonight and there were people driving around without their lights on.

I wonder if they are afraid of burning out a bulb or just lazy or just do not know if their lights are on or off cause they cannot see with their heads up their rectums?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You have to love the moron who is driving on a lit highway while the sun goes down and doesn't realize they don't have their lights on.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There will always be people who can look at a situation, see everyone else doing something, and rationalize that they don't have to do it because they're somehow smarter than all the sheep.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The clue is, it NEVER hurts to have the lights on. If you can't remember, just put them on every time you start the car. You don't have to worry about turning them off anymore-they either do that themselves or beep at you.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
N.C. has had the law on the books for over 40 years that you must run with headlights when it is raining and, still see about 30-40% running without them. How many have been cited for not using them, I would venture to say none and as long as it is not enforced I really don't look for it to change.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive with my headlights on all the time. I should check to see if there's a way to default them to On.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
I drive with my headlights on all the time. I should check to see if there's a way to default them to On.
The 1994 Volvo that we have, the headlights can be left "on" all the time. They will actually be on only when the ignition key is on.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Reprogrammed my truck to have the parking lights & foglights on as DRLs.
It automatically turns on the headlights if the wipers are on.

I think part of this problem is that the dash on newer cars is always illuminated, combined with well lit roads. People don't realize their lights are off. Then they get pissed at you for giving them a flash to let them know.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I haven't given my headlights a thought since buying my Sorento in 2011. They are automatic and come on when the light gets just a little low. I can go down a street with a lot of trees on both sides and they will come on. Driving through underpasses or if it is raining, they come on. We don't get much fog here, so I don't know if they come on or not, but have to assume so.

If my next car doesn't have auto lights, I'm screwed. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The offenders always seem to be driving grey or silver cars, too.

And then there's the "oh, I have daytime running lights". Yeah, well, they don't turn on your tail lights, idiot.

I just leave my lights on all the time. Wish more people would.But every time I take it in the shop they leave them turned off which screws me up for a while.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hey! I have a silver car now. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
And then there's the "oh, I have daytime running lights". Yeah, well, they don't turn on your tail lights, idiot.

Mine do Cool But I had to program it to do so.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many times I'm on a motorcycle and I've pulled along side a car late at night at an intersection and yelled: "Turn your lights on".

They then put down their cell phone and yell: "What?".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
It's been foggy the last couple days in NW Ohio and I can not believe the number of idiots driving with no headlights.
I realize you can see with a quarter mile or less visibility, but it is a little hard seeing you in a grey or white car.

Put your lights on high beam, too, when in fog. You can see further. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You have to love the moron who is driving on a lit highway while the sun goes down and doesn't realize they don't have their lights on.

We were driving to Las Vegas as the sun set. My wife was driving. While I could see the dash lights were on, it seemed pretty dark. Finally said "Humor me, turn the lights off then on." Suddenly we could see. Seems, rather then leave the lights on "automatic" she decided to switch the lights on. Yea, she got the parking lights on.

About all those cars driving in the rain without lights? I bet a good number have automatic lights. Either there is a timer or the light level is too high to get the lights to work.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:

Put your lights on high beam, too, when in fog. You can see further. Smile

As long as other drivers aren't coming towards you, but high-beams aren't ideal in the fog in general due to the light bouncing back at you.

Nothing bugs me more than people around here with their high-beams on during the day in the rain.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
We were driving to Las Vegas as the sun set. My wife was driving. While I could see the dash lights were on, it seemed pretty dark. Finally said "Humor me, turn the lights off then on." Suddenly we could see. Seems, rather then leave the lights on "automatic" she decided to switch the lights on. Yea, she got the parking lights on.

About all those cars driving in the rain without lights? I bet a good number have automatic lights. Either there is a timer or the light level is too high to get the lights to work.

Which is exactly why I won't rely on automatic lights. My headlights get switched on whenever I'm on the highway. And even off the highway if it's even close to dawn or twilight. Those times, it's not about helping me to see as much as helping other drivers to see me.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post