SIGforum
Distracted drivers

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3320091054

November 28, 2018, 05:17 PM
ryan81986
Distracted drivers
I tried really hard not to make this a click-bait title, but I also didn't want to spoil the surprise outright.

You think texting while driving is bad?

So I was driving to work awhile back and the car in front of me is swerving back and forth, I can tell they keep taking their hands off the wheel but I can't tell what they're doing. Finally we come side by side at a light and I can see why he keeps taking his hands off the wheel......
.......... HE'S DOING FUCKING SIGN LANGUAGE.

That's right, this MFer is doing sign language with both hands on facetime with his phone in a clip holder while he's driving down the fucking road.

I thought I'd never see that again, but I just saw it again the other day. Absolutely amazing....

November 28, 2018, 05:25 PM
LS1 GTO
That is extremely unique as deaf people are, statically, safer drivers than drivers of the hearing world.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

November 28, 2018, 07:29 PM
konata88
So, I'm guessing pressing the horn didn't grab his attention either. That paintball idea doesn't sound all that bad. Wouldn't it be cool if 360 degree paintball capability were a factory option?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
November 28, 2018, 08:58 PM
9mmepiphany
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Wouldn't it be cool if 360 degree paintball capability were a factory option?

Be careful what you wish for. Before you know it you'll be driving "Along the Scenic Route"

No, Daoism isn't a religion

November 29, 2018, 03:43 AM
YooperSigs
My Drivers Education Training in HS was a lesson in motorized terror, three times a week for six weeks. Our car had 4 occupants. A deaf girl, her female sign language interpreter, the instructor and me.
This arrangement required the deaf chick to drive, the interpreter to sit beside her and the instructor and me to ride in back. Whenever any kind of instruction was required, the interpreter would touch the deaf girls arm. The deaf girl would then turn to face the interpreter. At that point, we began to run over a wide variety of objects, cruise into the ditch, zip over into the opposing lane or slam on the brakes. The most terrifying event took place when we went left of center just as a giant Oshkosh cement mixer was approaching us. We successfully ran it off the road! The instructor and I spent a great deal of time screaming, which was pointless but did reduce our stress. We killed several Drivers Ed cars because the deaf chick kept the started engaged after the engine started. Or engaged the starter with the engine running. And I had to pay for this terror out of my own pocket! And the deaf girl? She passed the road test the first time she took it. I am glad that there are very few four door 1971 Chevy Novas around. If I see one, I scream and piss my pants.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
November 29, 2018, 07:39 AM
Fredward
When I worked in the prison system we had a man who signed on staff. He would interpret when needed. He once did "confrontation avoidance" on a barricaded deaf inmate. After about two minutes he advised me to deploy pepper spray and a use of force team, which I did. While cleaning up, I asked him what had happened. He asked me, "What happens when an asshole loses his hearing?" I replied I did not know. He said, "You get a deaf asshole. Don't let disability impede your judgement." I think maybe your driver was a deaf asshole.
November 29, 2018, 12:16 PM
9mmepiphany
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
He asked me, "What happens when an asshole loses his hearing?" I replied I did not know. He said, "You get a deaf asshole. Don't let disability impede your judgement." I think maybe your driver was a deaf asshole.

That's a lesson I had to learn on the streets, I was lucky it became apparent quite naturally

Some officers had a harder time coming to that realization and were lucky more people didn't get hurt.

No, Daoism isn't a religion