SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    More words: Peaked versus piqued.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More words: Peaked versus piqued. Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
When I was in grade school we were taught Synonyms Antonyms and Homonyms.

Are these no longer taught to kids in school?

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Incredibly, there are lots of people that use “pasted” in place of the words “past” and “passed”.

But, maybe we’re expecting too much (or allot) from folks who interchange “then” and “than”.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Don't forget Eponym.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was my favorite REM album.

(it’s a joke literal guys lol)

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
In a current thread in the Lounge, "breeched" is used instead of the correct "breached"; as in "the fence was breached". Breeched is a word, but may be an anachronism.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
In a current thread in the Lounge, "breeched" is used instead of the correct "breached"; as in "the fence was breached". Breeched is a word, but may be an anachronism.

That's the past tense of putting your pants on. "I picked up my breeches and then breeched myself." Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

That's the thing... Reading is the best way to build vocabulary.

And what's written today has been dumbed down for the lowest common denominator.

I liked fiction stories as a kid right after I learned how to read. But what increased my vocabulary was that, in the Navy, when standing watches, you can't read anything other than technical manuals or the dictionary. Each engine room had the latest Oxford illustrated unabridged dictionary. Reading technical manuals was boring. So I spent a lot of hours perusing the dictionary in between taking engine room readings.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Circa the 5th or 6th grade it was made a homework assignment to come up with as many homonyms as we could find. There were literally a ton of them. Razz

Despite rants of my own, I still keep seeing "ordinance" (local level law or regulation) when it should be "ordnance" (military weaponry).

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember Readers Digest? They had that game, building your word power or some such. If you told a young adult that today they couldn’t even conceive how that could be considered a game.

Technology has uplifted us and hobbled us at the same time. In my hand I can hold the entire collected knowledge of mankind. Yet that doesn’t mean you necessarily understand any of it. That is the conundrum. (see what I did there. he he he)(which is old man for lol)

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who’s going to figure out whose problem this is?

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Pare a pair of pears?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Pare a pair of pears?

Well, I too will go to where two pairs of pears are, just to pare them.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Cool info on what I thought was a southern colloquial expression.Thanks guys

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mazzer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sigfreund:

"mispronounced a word that he had only seen in writing. That’s something I’ve experienced personally many times because I read a lot. Now, though, I suspect the opposite is becoming true more often: hearing a word on the TV or other visual source, but without seeing it in print."

I've often done the same, finding out in a high pressure meeting that "segue" sounds like the thing you ride (Segway).
I've often bemoaned falling literacy rates in this country; especially among youngsters, Just thinking about it makes me feel, well...peaked.

My wife makes fun of me frequently when I do that. Say a word a thousand times in your head only to find out you've been saying it wrong the whole time.

That’s a trade off of marrying someone smarter than me I suppose (the ex-wife wouldn’t have known the difference).

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t feel too bad. If you are a big reader then you might have only heard the pronunciation in your head. Think of it like reading sci-fi. The goofy names and such are pronounced however your brain perceives them. Then you go watch GOT and you’re like, oopsie.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
GOT
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
GOT
Confused

Game of Thrones.

aka,

Gambit of Thorns Wink

Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Here we have an example of blatant obfuscation, which will probably be explained next.

Obfuscation is best eschewed.

Razz

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Which witch is which?

And I always thought that piqued was the future tense of poke.

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
When you say loose instead of lose enough times it finally becomes proper usage.

https://www.cbc.ca/comedy/funn...eady-do-so-1.3808853

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post