SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cursive & deplorable teaching of writing skills
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cursive & deplorable teaching of writing skills Login/Join 
posted
Today I had an emergency & went to the Murfreesboro VA facilty instead of Nashville. Not to say Nashville is bad, but the Murfreesboro emergency care was incredible. While I was there I started reading a board of letters written by students to veterans. All were nice letters printed in the style of 2nd Graders. Even though my generation degraded the cursive style to an unreadable form, the 2nd Grade writing I was reading turned out to be by Middle School students!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hukt ownn Foniks werkt 4 Mee!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to feel bad over your own handwriting, watch some caligraphy videos.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention you saw this in a hospital. I'll take readable handwriting over that of a typical doctor.

This shit could kill somebody if a nurse or pharmacist misreads it and administers the wrong drug or something. As for myself, I gave up cursive as soon as I could get away with it, and only print in all caps. It doesn't look like second-grade, however, and I have received compliments for it. On occasions when I have to sign a check or document, my cursive has devolved into unreadability.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that works at the Murfreesboro va. He works on the mentally handicapped floor for many years. He always tells me he will take care of me when it’s my turn...great hospital.

I cannot write at all somehow over time I switched to a left handed slant and it was all downhill.I print everything except my unreadable signature.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I fondly recall the cursive alphabet above the blackboard in school (do they even use blackboards any more?). I learned it, and at one point picked up calligraphy as a hobby. Now my cursive stinks, my signature is illegible. When some places (such as on financial instruments) they insist you sign with your full name, it takes me about five minutes to struggle it out.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I used to get written statements from witnesses or accident victims,back when I was still on the Cop job. Many of them were incomprehensible.

Insane spelling mistakes, one long, run on sentence, unreadable printing. Sadly many of these were written by College graduates.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I always get a kick out of this:

Jeanne Robertson - "Learning Cursive ... Or Not"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4OxmFfKStA

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I used to get written statements from witnesses or accident victims,back when I was still on the Cop job. Many of them were incomprehensible.

Insane spelling mistakes, one long, run on sentence, unreadable printing. Sadly many of these were written by College graduates.
Give them a box of crayons and ask them to recreate events by drawing stick figures.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Give them a box of crayons and ask them to recreate events by drawing stick figures.

Yeah it worked for Mr. Wu.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
when I was in grade school, back in the 1950s, handwriting was actually a graded subject on report cards. I am a lefty. I failed cursive every semester. Finally, I got permission to print everything. Now, at 68, I find my cursive ain't half bad.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I still enjoy cursive and my fountain pens. Big Grin

Recently went to cash a check I wrote at a bank and the teller complimented me on my "calligraphy."
I hesitated but decided to set her straight. It was simply cursive script written with an extra broad oblique italic nib. Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
when I was in grade school, back in the 1950s, handwriting was actually a graded subject on report cards. I am a lefty. I failed cursive every semester.

Yeah I can relate. Penmanship was the only subject I ever failed. My old man told me that I could never be a cop because no one could read my handwriting on traffic tickets.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Wut R U talkin bout?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I never could get my handwriting neat enough to pass writing class. I was relieved to learn it was in elementary school only.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cursive was required when I went to school, but I found it wasn't in the cards for me. I haven't used it in decades, and I print. Everyone else I know does too. My father did too.

I write extensively. I do some of the rough draft work on the keyboard, but a lot of it when traveling in a workbook, writing by hand. All the editing is done on a computer. When I handwrite, it's not in cursive.

Handwriting is communication. There's nothing wrong with printing it.

My computer doesn't default to cursive. Neither do I.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Cursive was required when I went to school, but I found it wasn't in the cards for me. I haven't used it in decades, and I print. Everyone else I know does too. My father did too.

I write extensively. I do some of the rough draft work on the keyboard, but a lot of it when traveling in a workbook, writing by hand. All the editing is done on a computer. When I handwrite, it's not in cursive.

Handwriting is communication. There's nothing wrong with printing it.

My computer doesn't default to cursive. Neither do I.

I agree with this. I was told in school if I didn’t learn cursive I would never survive in the real world, so I learned it. But I’ve never met a single person/business that required me to write in cursive and it’s not my default style of writing. It would probably take me 5 times longer to write something in cursive than it would to print it because I would have to put a little thought into the letters to write in cursive.

What does drive me crazy is people’s inability to print legibly. If you leave me a note or write a report on something I should at least be able to read it without having to stop and decipher the words.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My cursive went to hell when I stated doing intakes and interviews. I just had to collect so much data that a nice cursive didn’t work. Then I was adding shorthand terminology.
My signature is a mess. However,I’m told that this is a good thing as forging it is difficult.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It is not taught anymore, and now that it was mentioned, I just went to my sons 6th grade orientation the other day, and no they do not have blackboards anymore.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
and no they do not have blackboards anymore.

And how does a teacher explain a math problem?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post