SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    $1 Donation at Checkout? Yes/No??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$1 Donation at Checkout? Yes/No?? Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
No. I view this just like the damn hospital administrators pushing United Way so they could meet their "goals" and look good. I'll give when I want to whom I want.

RMD

^^^^
Like pushing Combined Federal Campaign/CFC. Their overhead is almost 10%. No thanks.

Posts: 9003 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My reply is always "No Thank You".

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I always say no. I'm not an a-hole.....OK, some might say I am but I will choose who gets donations and make them without being prompted to. If I'm going to give money to any organization I will do my own research and make sure it is going to the right people.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I just say no.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Nope, we only give to organizations in discrete amounts at particular times, per the tax accountant.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My stock answer is "Not today". It's neither gruff nor friendly. The cashier is simply implementing a managers' or corporate policy.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Occasionally I will depending on my mood, but normally it’s a no. Firehouse subs always asks to round to the next whole dollar to donate to firefighters/first responders (which usually ends up being 40-50 cents) and I do that pretty much every time I eat there. I know only 90 cents out of each dollar actually makes it to first responders, but I also understand someone or a group or someones has to manage those things...

Posts: 1300 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Fortunately my resting angry face usually stops them from asking. The credit card machines that ask usually get an no and I don’t give it another thought.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Went into the big city to check out the new Cabelas. The cashier asks me if I would like to round up for some charity. No thank you. Then the card reader asks about a donation. I think there should be a sign or button that says I only want to swipe my card and answer yes for the amount. With cash just give me my change and receipt.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
The emo chick running the register at Dollar General asks if I want to give a dollar to "help end literacy". She's funny.

I laughed way too hard at this Big Grin

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
No. I view this just like the damn hospital administrators pushing United Way so they could meet their "goals" and look good. I'll give when I want to whom I want.

RMD

^^^^
Like pushing Combined Federal Campaign/CFC. Their overhead is almost 10%. No thanks.

Ughhh those three letters are the bane of my existence. I can't stand the CFC push every year.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
No.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
nope, never.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Always "no." We donate to carefully chosen causes on our own, not through a store at checkout.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
You never know what % of the gross is allocated to administrative expenses.

^^^ This. I don't donate unless I know what charity the $$ is going to AND how much of the $$ donated actually goes to the charity.

I used to work for the megacorp that pushes Red Nose Day in the U.S. Even though they incessantly trumpeted that the funds were going to some kids charities, in reality, only a few cents of every dollar donated actually went to those charties.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

RMD

^^^ This too. The megacorp I worked for before the Red Nose Day plugging megacorp did the same thing. They had "targets" to meet and every employee was assigned a dollar amount representing our "fair share".

That did not sit well with me and some other employees and we very noisily complained that the charities we donated to and how much we donated were our business, and the company was out of line pressuring people who they should donate to and how much they should contribute.

To my surprise, the company got the message and quickly squelched the project.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I donate at HEB grocery store. I donated for hurricane Harvey. After that for Homes for Wounded Vets, and now for the Sutherland Springs church families. HEB has good folks in charge.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I usually just say either no, or that I did it already if the clerk is pushy.

Last time I was asked, it was some charity for children. Trying to be funny, I told the clerk I didn't want to donate because I didn't like children.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I always say no. Bu what pisses me off is I am doing my entire transaction using Apple Pay or a chip credit card. Never have pick up the damn stylus (or rarely if I'm over $50, to sign). But to say "no" to the begging prompt, I have to pause my otherwise fast workflow and use the damn stylus to say no, because the ignorant POS touchscreen does not respond to a finger press.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
"Not today" is a great answer.
The problem with the checkout screen donations is that sometimes you hit $5 when you meant no. I can't believe that's not intentional.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post