SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    $1 Donation at Checkout? Yes/No??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$1 Donation at Checkout? Yes/No?? Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted
This is the time of year for that $1 or 'roundup' at the checkout counter to some charity. It is mentioned to go to any number of groups, causes, or the catchall 'veterans'.

No I'm not a snob, 8.5 years active duty myself. I just don't care for the expectation that it's an easy 'yes'. Unless I'm in the mood, my stock answer is 'no'.

I just read an article where these Checkout donation requests add up to hundreds of millions. I do the NRA roundup at Midway & other net sellers.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I give directly to charities via payroll deductions. I don't feel compelled to give any more.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I don't ever give to these, but I don't really have a problem with it when its unobtrusive as it probably is an easy way for some charities to make quite a bit of money. It does piss me off however when the cashiers are pushy about it after you say no, or their stupid credit card machines make you tell it no 3 times before it will process payment. It also seems that literally every single retail establishment is getting in on the action these days, and some of them do it year round which compounds the problem.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Depends largely on my mood. CMN gets payroll deduct, RMEF gets a nod (hate seeing homeless elk on the mean streets of Estes Park, CO).

Hell I gave some " homeless " chick $10 and my coat Friday night. Looked like her "date" went sideways on her. But she went away quietly, money well spent.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
No, if and when I donate it is to a charity of my own choosing!

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Depends.

If it's for some random "for the children" charity or (God forfend) the Red Cross, they get 'No!' in a tone of voice that brooks no nonsense.

If it's for the FFA or 4H or other narrowly focused cause that I agree with, I'll round up or maybe even chip in a couple of bucks.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only participation in such a solicitation:
The Midway USA NRA "round up".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tell them: "I give at the office".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
You never know what % of the gross is allocated to administrative expenses.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I just say no and that has always been the end of it.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No, never.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The emo chick running the register at Dollar General asks if I want to give a dollar to "help end literacy". She's funny.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually say no, too. Here's my question-- we all donate $1. The company makes a big contribution to XYZ foundation. Does the company write that off as a charitable contribution?? If so, isn't that wrong??

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. I'll handle giving when and where I choose. Not getting pressured into it at the checkout counter. If the store wants to donate they write a check instead of taking my money and grabbing a bigger write off for themselves.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DitchDoctor911:
I usually say no, too. Here's my question-- we all donate $1. The company makes a big contribution to XYZ foundation. Does the company write that off as a charitable contribution?? If so, isn't that wrong??

That's my biggest gripe here. These businesses ask for money so they can donate it and in return get the tax breaks associated with that donation. Fuck off and die. I detest when some clerk asks me. My comeback is that they can round down to the nearest dollar to donate some back to me......the looks of bewilderment are priceless

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Sorry, not today.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:

That's my biggest gripe here. These businesses ask for money so they can donate it and in return get the tax breaks associated with that donation. Fuck off and die. I detest when some clerk asks me. My comeback is that they can round down to the nearest dollar to donate some back to me......the looks of bewilderment are priceless

They aren't getting to ignore the add-on to your tab as income. IOW, they pick up a dollar in income, make a dollar deductible donation, net zero.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
No. I view this just like the damn hospital administrators pushing United Way so they could meet their "goals" and look good. I'll give when I want to whom I want.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:

They aren't getting to ignore the add-on to your tab as income. IOW, they pick up a dollar in income, make a dollar deductible donation, net zero.

Even if it doesn't equal a tax benefit to them, it sure is used as PR! "Look at how much we donated back to the community "--- nope, look at how much you simply collected FROM the community.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
A long time ago, I learned how to say "No".

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post