SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I can’t remember...edit...I FOUND THEM :-)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can’t remember...edit...I FOUND THEM :-) Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
...SHIT anymore...I received some Leupold QD low Rings last week...now I can’t find them...it seems if I remove anything from the package it fucking disappears...seriously guys and gals...I lost/misplaced/relocated a BCG I ordered for over a week ago until it showed up in the cupboard next to the Instant Breakfast...this ain’t getting any better unless I leave said item where I can trip over it Frown...I’m hopeful I can find my Stressless Recliner when it’s delivered next week...
Does this ever get better Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Could lead toxicity be involved? This happened to me about ten years ago.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is a recent phenomenon, it is quite possibly due to anxiety that interferes with your concentration. If you are having a bunch of other symptoms there would be more of a concern. I would also look for such things as a new medication change etc. Be sure you are getting plenty of rest.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I lost/misplaced/relocated a BCG I ordered for over a week ago until it showed up in the cupboard next to the Instant Breakfast.

Oh, do I ever know this well. And I even know how it happens.

I'll have something in my hands, think of something else, and absent-mindedly set the thing in my hands down wherever I happen to be at the moment the new thought occurs. Then carry on with whatever was last on my mind. Later I go to look for the thing I set down and, of course, have absolutely no memory whatsoever of having set it down when I did.

Worse: I'll be working on something, realize I need some other tool or part, wander away from where I'm working to go fetch the other thing--with the tool I had in my hand at the time, set that tool down in some random spot, return with the other tool or part, then wonder where the tool I'd just had had gotten to.

I've found stuff in the weirdest, most unexpected places.

Drives. Me. Fracking. Nuts.

What really annoys me about my doing these things? I know I do them, tell myself "Don't set stuff down randomly like that," and still do it, anyway

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:

Does this ever get better Confused

Not for me. I wish better luck for you.

I tell people it's early alzheimers. They look at me like I'm an idiot, and I know they're on to me.

Some things, I just get in multiples, because I'm going to lose some of them. If it isn't written down, it never happened, and I've learned to put things in the same place each time so I have a better chance of finding them.

Checklists. They work.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Checklists. They work.

Yes.

Routine. Same place.

And do not be afraid to assert to other folks, that these things are a must, for you.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Brain supplements helps me.The side effect is your head will have to be scratched about a hundred times a day

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where the fuck are my glasses?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Routine. Same place.

And discipline to follow the routines.
Quite a few years ago I got tired of losing things and realized that I had to stop being thoughtless about how I handled stuff. I can’t say that it doesn’t still happen on occasion, but I lose things less frequently at age 74 than at 54. One principle/practice that’s helped me maintain routines is “touch it only once,” i.e., once I pick something up, I keep it in hand until it’s put back where it belongs and that helps avoid the “Oh, I’ll get it later” thinking that leads to its being put down where it doesn’t belong. When I’m using something like a tool, I concentrate on keeping it in a place that I can’t overlook until I’m finished with it, and then systematically put everything where they belong when I’m finished.

I know all that’s easier said than done sometimes, but with concentration, especially before we pick something up, it becomes more of a habit.

Because I have so much stuff stored in boxes and drawers, I must rely on inventory sheets that list everything in a box or drawer and where the box is located, and that requires discipline as well for that to work. Years ago I wasn’t so careful and if I moved something from one box to another then without changing my inventory, it might as well be at the bottom of a lake someplace today.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Where the fuck are my glasses?
On top of my head. Yes...it’s happened several times and when it happens with your sunglasses on the flight deck, it makes for interesting facial expressions from the other pilot.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Checklists. They work.
I can't find the checklist. I had it just a few minutes ago.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
When I’m using something like a tool, I concentrate on keeping it in a place that I can’t overlook until I’m finished with it, and then systematically put everything where they belong when I’m finished.

That's the habit into which I'm trying to get. The problem, in the scenario I described earlier, is remembering to put the tool down before going looking for some other thing.

I'll tell you one good side-effect of this issue: I'm more apt to put things away where they belong right away, rather than putting it off until later.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I woke up this morning and had an epiphany...to look wherever my Fat Wrench is located (always in the gunsmith tool box) and the rings will probably be there also...they were Smile...and I actually remembered my putting them together.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Well, look on the bright side boys. You’ll be able to hide your own Easter eggs.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post