SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Today I was told my use of Spic & Span to describe the cleanliness of a kitchen was racist.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I was told my use of Spic & Span to describe the cleanliness of a kitchen was racist. Login/Join 
Picture of Syngin1066
posted
So, I was called a racist by 20 something-year-old busybody millennial girl who overheard me describe our kitchen / break room's condition as spic & span. She threatened to contact HR because I offended her. My reaction "whatever snowflake, do you even know what it means?" She stormed off in a huff. Funny thing is I was talking to her supervisor at the coffee machine when this all happened. The supervisor just rolled her eyes and said " see what I have to deal with ?"
F'ing moron.....and yes, she was white.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are so 16th century Roll Eyes

Origin
late 16th century (in the sense ‘brand new’): from spick and span new, emphatic extension of dialect span new, from Old Norse spán-nýr, from spánn ‘chip’ + nýr ‘new’; spick influenced by Dutch spiksplinternieuw, literally ‘splinter new.’

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow, use "niggardly" in a sentence in her presence and report back here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also seem to recall the expression being popular when a particular house cleaning agent was branded "Spic 'n' Span." But I'm old.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Several years ago my Mom and Dad "adopted" a black cocker spaniel whose name was "Spooky". My Dad was telling his coworkers about said dog and was labeled as racist due to the name he didnt even give the damn dog.

People are idiots

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, I was called a racist by 20 something-year-old busybody millennial girl who overheard me describe our kitchen / break room's condition as spic & span. She threatened to contact HR because I offended her. My reaction "whatever snowflake, do you even know what it means?" She stormed off in a huff. Funny thing is I was talking to her supervisor at the coffee machine when this all happened. The supervisor just rolled her eyes and said " see what I have to deal with ?"
F'ing moron.....and yes, she was white.

Bright people in the work force. I had to think hard to figure that out. Did she think the product criticized Puerto Ricans? I suggest she write the makers of the product so they know as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Spic-Sp...Powder/dp/B000LNONUY

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
The supervisor just rolled her eyes and said " see what I have to deal with ?"

I long for the day supervisors can do much, much more than just roll their eyes at "everything under the sun is racist" twits.
I prefer GTFO.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, that's just evil...

I like it!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Are Spic and Span cleaning products still made? It is very probable that Miss Snowflake has never seen the brand. (Edited to properly spell the name.)

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Ha. I got called racist because I called out a traffic stop in front of Mookies. I had to explain to dispatch the name of the business was Mookies.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Are Spic 'n' Span cleaning products still made? It is very probable that Miss Snowflake has never seen the brand.
Yup

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Throw in "snafu" or "fubar" in an appropriate context. After she looks them up, that'll likely add to her stress level also!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

Several years ago my Mom and Dad "adopted" a black cocker spaniel whose name was "Spooky". My Dad was telling his coworkers about said dog and was labeled as racist due to the name he didnt even give the damn dog.

People are idiots

I had a black cat, white belly, when I was a kid,
I named him Sylvester, after the obvious,

Dad decided , since we lived and a white flight neighborhood, (one of the last to leave, we were), to call it Spooky,

so he would stand at the back door and call him,
'here Spooky, come on boy'

neighbor on one side , (and a hell of a nice guy) thought it was hilarious,

neighbor on the other side did not like black cats and hit him with a broomstick, so we had to have him put down, (broke back)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My cats names are Gray and Black, or translated to Spanish - Gris y Negro. I must be super racist.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I can't remember where or details, but I read something about a black guy taking offense to the Spanish word negro (black). "Negro" itself, until roughly the late 1960s or early 1970s, was a perfectly acceptable, neutral, non-offensive word to refer to a black person.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I also seem to recall the expression being popular when a particular house cleaning agent was branded "Spic 'n' Span." But I'm old.

Old and correct. Stuff's been around forever, as has the phrase "I want this place Spic-n-Span before you even think about going/fishing/bowling/to the movies/whatever."

Afraid you're sharing a coffee pot with a certifiable kook, fredward.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FRANKT,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
You should've found a way to throw in a "chink in the armor" to see how little snow flake would flip out. Maybe enough for her to go skydiving without a parachute.

Some assholes seemingly go around looking for shit to get offended by. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
You don't want to fall into that black hole.Razz

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give me that jerry can right now before Mick gets it.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post