SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Jet lag
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jet lag Login/Join 
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted
Will I ever sleep like a normal person again? This is intolerable, I feel like a complete lunatic.

South of France was fun, though, so at least there's that.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
How many days has it been, and how long were you gone? I have some small experience at it. Big Grin I do, however, know your frustration.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
For me I power through the first day using caffeine and stubbornness. That night a go to bed at or close to the local time. The next day you are very close to being acclimated to the local day/night cycle. At the worst case I find myself waking up a little early the first couple of days.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
When Mrs.BurtonRW and I came back from two weeks in Australia, the first few days we were completely screwed up, but we were a little "off" for at least another week or so.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
My experience at 53 years of age, is that it takes me one day per hour of time difference, before I get reacclimated.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
When Mrs.BurtonRW and I came back from two weeks in Australia, the first few days we were completely screwed up, but we were a little "off" for at least another week or so.
Understandable. Not only were you upside down there (I don't know why you didn't fall off), but the water drains clockwise. You need some time to readjust to normal.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Understandable. Not only were you upside down there (I don't know why you didn't fall off), but the water drains clockwise. You need some time to readjust to normal.

Before you land they give you special shoes that stick you the ground. They also have to do a half roll to get the plane oriented with the ground correctly.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
You guys are weird.

I was in France for a week, got back Saturday. 7 hours. It's getting better, finally.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I always turned my watch to the time zone I was going to as soon as I got on the plane and tried to do what I was supposed to do at that time in my destination; if I was going from Philly to Frankfurt and left Philly at 3pm, it then became 9pm for me on that plane and I'd try to sleep.

Anyone else ever do this?

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
You guys are weird.

And?

quote:
I was in France for a week, got back Saturday. 7 hours. It's getting better, finally.

3 weeks in New Zealand just a couple of months ago. Which is about the same time difference as Central European to Mountain time.

Got minimal sleep on the plane (none on the way down, less than 2 hours on the way back). Powered my way through the first day, and by the second day I was waking up a little early (like 5am local), but I was pretty close to normal. By the third day I was completely on local time.

My strategy sucks the first day, as you will be up often close to 36 hours for most international trips, but it really does work on getting your quickly acclimated to local time.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
You guys are weird.

And?

Nothing, just observing. Razz

Yeah, I tried that on the way there, but it just didn't work out for me this time. I kinda screwed myself after I got home by letting some of my college friends talk me into going out for "a few" beers with them... another visit from the good idea fairy.

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I covered night shift for about four years and used to travel a lot between different time zones/countries.

What worked really well for me was using breakfast as a bridge meal...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
FAA medical folks say 1 day per time zone change. Its also cumulative. On a typical 4 day trip I traverse the Country end-to-end 4 times, each night at the opposite end I started. Every year I have to watch a stupid .fed film telling me why Im so exausted when I get home. This of course, is after following their own damn rules while at work.

Pure genious.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I always turned my watch to the time zone I was going to as soon as I got on the plane and tried to do what I was supposed to do at that time in my destination; if I was going from Philly to Frankfurt and left Philly at 3pm, it then became 9pm for me on that plane and I'd try to sleep.

There is absolutely no way I can get any kind of meaningful sleep on an aircraft these days. Between the excuse they have for "seats" (I think they've reduced the cushioning about 75% to save on weight), five degrees of "recline" (that just simply puts you into a natural sitting position instead of the default Inquisition hyperflexed position), screaming kid two rows down, the guy farting nonstop behind, and the realization that my "space" for the next 14 hours is a 2x3x5 box, it's impossible to get comfortable enough to sleep. In case you were wondering, 24 hours of travel time without any sleep does in fact make you a bit delirious.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This year, I've traveled to Belgium, India, China TWICE and Amsterdam. I had one half of one weekend at home in February.

Eek

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, on trips to Hawaii.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I always try to operate on local time. I keep my watch set for home however. I need an anchor.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:

Yes, on trips to Hawaii.

When I was in Hawaii a few weeks ago, I woke up every morning at 3AM. Pissed me off.

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I remember sleeping 24 hrs after returning from my first trip overseas (Japan). I was seventeen. And furious that I'd blown a whole day. Lol.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5299 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm getting better at dealing with serious jet lag / time differences like Asia, but I certainly haven't mastered it. Upon returning from India the first time, I remember laying in bed praying for the sun to finally come up! I did 14 honey-do's and mowed the lawn only to find myself exhausted and going back to sleep before noon. What a rookie!

For what it's worth, I'm not into sleeping pills because of a co-worker's experience. We flew from the USA to Europe where we had a short layover. We deplaned, found the new gate, chatted the whole time and then boarded our new plane. The next day, he said he didn't remember anything! Pills...

It's not rocket science, but I was told by seasoned travelers to get onto the destination's time zone the minute you board the plane. If it's nighttime there, sleep on the plane. If not, stay awake! It makes for short and long days, but I think it helps.

Posts: 217 | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post