SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The V.A. and their bureaucracy.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The V.A. and their bureaucracy. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am amazed at all the negatives over the VA. I've posted before that I love them, they saved my life, scanned a small bump on my neck that the civilian docs could not do because it was too small to meet the insurance company criteria, so they would not pay.

I've been going since 2001, had hundreds of visits, never a problem.

Choice is a program that, if you can't get an appointment within 30 days, you can go to a civilian doc (I use civilian to distinguish between VA and private docs).

I went once, they treated me like a charity case, then they decided I had to use my own insurance and I ended up walking out.

Choice pays the same rates as Medicare. I prefer the VA docs, but that's just me.

I wonder how many of you actually have used the VA? I was married to my wife for over 15 years, with her working at the Bay Pines VA, before I would even consider going there. I'd heard all the stories, too. No VA for me. No sireee!

But then the VA started paying Agent Orange claims and my wife told me that and pointed out that I had some problems which seemed to be what they were looking at.

I hated that first trip-was looking for someone to treat me badly, but no one did. I had several of the comp exams, none of which was any sort of a problem.

I recently was diagnosed with prostate cancer. The VA immediately raised my disability to 100%-no exam, no problem, just wrote a short note on the form they provided saying I had the stuff. Six weeks later, an increased compensation check went right into my checking account.

The doc I have for the cancer is wonderful, said he'd treat it any way I wanted, but recommended against surgery to remove the prostate (I agree-I have a friend who pees himself every time he giggles since he had his cut out). He is a retired Urologist from the community and is very well respected. We have a lot like him at Bay Pines. They get a little older, sell their practice, then go to work at the VA where they don't have to worry about staff, machines, rent/mortgages, malpractice, and get a retirement after just a few years.

I've never been to another VA Hospital or to a VA Clinic-we have several Cinics fairly near me, but I am only 4 miles from the front gate of Bay Pines, so I go there. A close friend loves the Clinic in Palm Harbor, but it is just too far for me (about 45 minutes).

I'm not a fan of the VA Administration, but the docs and nurses and techs have all been first class in my experience. At the VA, I've talked to lots of vets, just passing the time. So far, all have said they are very happy with Bay Pines.

Fox, and perhaps other sites, just had a big article about how the VA is leading the country in prostate cancer treatment-not just cutting it out as has been what a lot of civilian docs do. I found it interesting, but didn't see it on the site today and did not look for it.

If I was the OP, I'd keep those appointments even if it was inconvenient. I think he will be better off for it.

I should have said, and I forgot it, that one of the biggest pluses about the VA at Bay Pines (I said I know nothing about other VAs) is that they don't double-book patients like the civilian docs do. One exception to that was my throat cancer oncologist-he double booked, but I alwys got inright away.

So, for examplem I met with my Urologist Monday. My appointment was at 815, I was in and out of "nursing" before that (check vitals, and dicuss any other problems, pain, etc.) and in with him by 8:30. He gave me the finger-wave, discussed what he thought I should do next, listened to me about my concerns and I was driving out of the parking garage by 9:00 after making my next appointment with him for December. I like it that I never, or very rarely at least, have to wait past my appointment time to get out of the waiting room. I have a civilian Podiatrist-been with him thru the suicide of his first wife, divorce from the second, theft of lots of money by a trusted staff member and he's stuck with me thru various problems I have, so I will keep him over a VA Podiatrist. But he double books and I never get in to see him toll waaaay past the appointment time.

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how many of you actually have used the VA?

Yes, tried and 'used' it for about 2 years?

Worst 'health care' of my life.

Never again.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I just got into the VA med system last summer. I have had good care however I have been left feeling like I was bothering them, my Primary Dr seemed disinterested in my problems, concerns or my attempts to understand how the system works. I had skin cancer and the Dr (teaches at Northwetern) called me at home with the results and spent 20 minutes explain what was next. So far the experience has been mixed extremes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valpo Fz,

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I’m dealing with almost the opposite. I have had better treatment from the Baltimore VA hospital than I have my civilian primary care. There are sometimes wait for things with the VA,but they at least care. Now the bureaucracy was different, it took over 2 years to finally get rated for things that were in my record repeatedly, one for over 19 years of my active duty time and I had to get medical waivers for to re-enlist.

My civilian primary care didn’t care about some issues I’ve been having, they have a different doctor every time I go, and generally act like I’m bothering them. I mentioned the same things at my VA appt in late May. Having a colonoscopy in 2 weeks and the VA is sending me out in town for a stress test soon.

At the same time I repair medical imaging equipment for a manufacturer and based on what I’ve seen at the VA hospital in DC I wouldn’t go there if I were dying. They had fruit flies breeding in the X-ray machine I was there to work on. They didn’t care and had no clue. They now have occasional parking lot patrols after someone died there a while back but generally provide a low level of care there.

The one in Wilmington DE was much more like Baltimore. They may not have the newest of everything but the folks generally seemed to care and did all they could with patients.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post