SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The V.A. and their bureaucracy.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The V.A. and their bureaucracy. Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I have some injuries that are getting worse and starting to impact my life and ability to do things. I honestly have had a fairly positive experience with the VA. I filled out the paperwork that ended up resembling War and Peace in length and submitted it.

A month later a overnight envelope shows up on Tuesday and it has me scheduled for 4 appointments on Wed. I call the VA and the answer I get is frustrating to no end and lacks all common sense. I can cancel them but you can only cancel once before you have to redo the entire package. I can reschedule i can't pick a day or window of days it is entirely at their discretion. I ask if I can schedule this in July because I have the entire month open and I get told that they don’t do it that far out. My options are to take the chance that they will schedule me when I have off or I wait and try again next month and know that the appointments are when they feel like it. The appointment is also 1.5 to 2 hours away depending on traffic and is on the other side of Chicago from me.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they suck ass.

Make sure you know what evaluations they are doing on you and what the criteria are.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is how they operate. Make the appointments. I assume this is the closest hospital for you. Guess it is the Hines VA. You need to get into the system first and this is generally what this is about. Expect to spend the day.

If you get those folks angry at you expect to receive substandard service. This is how it works.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I am in the system and was sent to the Jesse Brown center for the skin cancer and the Crown point extension for some other stuff.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are these for Comp and Pension exams?

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
If you get those folks angry at you expect to receive substandard service. This is how it works.
Standard Government operation, for sure.

I wouldn't go to a VA facility for medical care if it was my last option, nor would I set foot in a facility without being wired for audio & video recording to a wireless cloud.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Are these for Comp and Pension exams?

Yes, this I mostly things that have gotten worse over the last couple of years.

YAT-YAS

Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I would rather go to a Veterinarian than the VA.Massachusetts VA hospitals are something out of the Stone Age, poor outdated facilities, impatient and incompetent staff; generally a hospital from a horror movie and all they are concerned about is how many firearms you own.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is best to make those Comp and Pension exams if possible. As you are probably aware the VA is trying to improve timeliness in scheduling. I guess no one complained about lack of appropriate notice.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
all they are concerned about is how many firearms you own.
"Not enough. Definitely not enough. Where do I sign up to get some issued to me?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder if experiences are overall generated by the State they reside in. Minneapolis VA has taken such good care of me that I do not even bother with my work-related health insurance anymore.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
all they are concerned about is how many firearms you own.
"Not enough. Definitely not enough. Where do I sign up to get some issued to me?"

Yeah! Me, too! My youngest grandson has been dicking around with the VA for something like SEVEN YEARS!

Won't go into details, but the PTSD that the VA acknowledges is due to injuries received while on active duty! And it has been nearly a year since they acknowledge that, and they still have not got the freaking paperwork done!

Wife drives him to his appointments, many of them in Richmond which is about 150 miles round trip. Half the time when she gets him there, the "doctor" who was scheduled to see him is not even in the facility!

The only answer to this problem is to do away with the VA entirely! Give the vets an ID card that is good at any accredited medical facility in the country! Cut costs dramatically, and provide good service to the vets.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to wonder if experiences are overall generated by the State they reside in.

Here in Nashville appointment scheduling is very easy. The VA admin is as incompetent as all the rest according to the Doctors & staff I have asked. Dealing with Tri-West is a nightmare.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Give the vets an ID card that is good at any accredited medical facility in the country! Cut costs dramatically, and provide good service to the vets.

Didn't President Trump just sign an EO or legislation making this start to happen?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Give the vets an ID card that is good at any accredited medical facility in the country! Cut costs dramatically, and provide good service to the vets.

Didn't President Trump just sign an EO or legislation making this start to happen?

I think you have to be outside a certain distance or have to wait a certain number of days to use it.

So pretty much ops normal when you consider the paper shuffle to prove they can't see you in time.

Exactly what you'd expect from a government run, impossible to get fired, non-profit kind of outfit.

posted Hide Post
quote:
So pretty much ops normal when you consider the paper shuffle to prove they can't see you in time.

Yes, It took 6 months to see a Doctor about my knees the first time. Got the gel shots & was told they would last about a year. So, 4 months before a year was over I started the process again & it took 5 months. Tri-West was the biggest problem!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Utah, we've had pretty good experiences. Nothing's perfect but this state seems to be better than most.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I just can’t believe that there is no way to make a appointment like you would with a regular Dr.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
quote:

The fee basis card as it was known provided this service. What is currently in place is not very attractive for doctors or patients. The program is called Veterans Choice. In reality it is run by a government contractor that pays extremely low rates to doctors, requires medical record submission in order to be paid and is in short a bureaucratic nightmare for both the patient and the doctor. Most doctors find that they are not paid in a prompt fashion if at all. Currently it is administered by TriWest.

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
And, veterans choice plan means that the patient is responsible for all authorizations needed to have the service paid to the dr. The dr office cannot get an authorization for them. Most of the time, when a reply come back it says no auth and it’s the patients responsibility.
Being on the phone for over an hour just trying to even reach a person is not enjoyable.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post