SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    More aggressive driving
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More aggressive driving Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
It’s just out of hand here. Pandemic has just jacked with the bird sized brain community. People crossing lanes erratically, flooring it from green lights, excessive speed on the highway and surface streets, people cutting others off. I won’t go into the phones.

So today, exiting a tollway (posted speed limit 70 mph), and onto a service road...service road is 50 mph and there are many times a local PD sitting there with radar. I exit don’t use the brakes and let the vehicle get down to 55 mph. I’ve got a large SUV right behind me that is determined to keep going 70 mph on the service road. He’s coming and coming up to my rear bumper. He could have switched lanes, and gone around, nope. He gets a foot off my rear bumper and I laid into the brakes as I’m not going to be intimidated. Hit my car, you’ll instantly be at fault and cited. It’s not worth much and it’s paid off. I’ve had enough of this, as it’s all the time now, so I brake checked him. He had to lock them up and that thing went slightly sideways but didn’t go into either lane beside him (3 lanes, we were in the middle). After I brake checked his dumbass, and sped back up to 50 mph, he then decides to get in the other lane and go around, right into a red light. I used the underpass. Hilarious to me, yeah let me go 70 mph so I can hit the red light real quick and stop. As he passed me he’s bitching and I just made the motion of “come here” with my hand, bring it. I don’t even do this shit when in the fast lane and experiencing a fast lane nazi going under the speed limit. I just go around.

Crazy days on the roads, never seen it this bad in all my life.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We notice that drivers don't tailgate our SUV or our F-150. But when we are in our little Honda S2000, those asshats in their 1 tons like to ride our bumper. Since there appears to be little enforcement with the KungFlu in the air, people are more aggressive. Look carefully, both ways, when the light turns green.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If he had an open lane available, no reason to ride your bumper. I also like to come off the gas & let the vehicle slow down, rather than going to the brake pedal. Yes I do easily keep up with the flow.

Some are wound tight, for a variety of reasons. The vast majority of the time I create an ‘out’ for the more aggressive type to pass. On a few occasions, I let them know I’m getting bothered.

A true ‘brake check’ by me is unlikely. I may let the vehicle slow to the posted speed. I may tap the brake lights, without any real braking.

I drive a larger crew-cab, most stay away.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Travel and rent AVIS - alot.

I have lots of fun with these types......phuqit - it's a rental.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are in central Florida.
Between the people driving like they are driving in the Daytona 500 and the excessive cell phone use You have a good chance of being seriously injured or dying on I4 and the surrounding roads.
This why every other TV commercial in central Florida is for a law firm. One guy puts up highway billboards with people holding big settlement checks.
The training I have had driving emergency fire/rescue equipment has come in handy while driving my own car many times.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you risked a potentially fatal accident because you were angry? I'd say the aggressive driving IS out of hand in your area. Perhaps where ever you are.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I just move out of peoples' way.

If they want to die in a flaming ball of wreckage, I'm not going to hinder them.

I had a Porsche salesman actually swerve at me several times because I was driving the speed limit in the right lane and he was passing me out of nowhere in the exit ramp lane.

Yeah, I sent the dash cam video over to the dealer and heard nothing since. However I have seen the dealer car around driving like grandma owns it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I understand your situation, however, if the other driver has a dashcam and either has the GPS turned off or doesn't have a GPS enabled unit that tracks speed, the judge is going to nail your butt for aggressive "brake checking".

All the judge will see is his video of his car coming up on you and you slamming on your brakes & causing an accident.

Like Mars & Fredward said, it is simply not worth the physical risk to you/your family, he could have riddled your car with bullets, or the financial risk before a judge, to prove your point.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Complain about aggressive drivers, while being an incredibly aggressive driver. What you did was worse than what he did.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m just going to say it. You are an idiot. Anyone who thinks a brake check at 50-70 mph is ever a reasonable course of action is just as dangerous as the guy barreling down on him. I’m sure you disagree, doesn’t matter. Your little stunt could have gotten someone killed. And why? Because you won’t be intimidated and your car is paid off. Fucking ignorant line of thinking.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Nope. He got brake checked but I didn’t bring my car to a stop, didn’t skid/slide, exited highway and this dude his barreling in on me so I scrubbed off my speed a little faster than normal. I wouldn’t have been cited either, not here, you hit someone from behind it’s your ass not mine, this guy was running 20mph over posted limit on a service road or trying to. I also don’t give a fuck at this point. This bs is going on every single drive anywhere. People are out of their flipping minds at this point. Yesterday I just had enough of it. I bet if I was in my truck yesterday the clown wouldn’t be pulling this.

I expected responses like that so doesn’t bother me in the slightest. You want to ride people’s ass driving like an ass hat be prepared to pay for it.

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Damn PF, what's that old saying... Two wrongs don't make a right?

If he has a camera and that move caused an accident you'd be cited big time for causing the accident.

This act of brake checking someone is IMHO, Road Rage pure and simple. Two motorists involved in an altercation over some perceived grievance.

Tempers are short, people are on edge, it's the goal and result of being penned up during the current unpleasantness.

It's why we need to recognize and stay away from problems, don't initiate foolhardy responses, doing so makes you part of the problem you're complaining about.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I’m sure you are prepared for it because you still sound like an ass.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought this was going to be the quote about "if you run into assholes all the time....."

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
would have been easier to just move to the open lane on the right. safer too

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

If he has a camera and that move caused an accident you'd be cited big time for causing the accident.

This act of brake checking someone is IMHO, Road Rage pure and simple. Two motorists involved in an altercation over some perceived grievance.

Tempers are short, people are on edge, it's the goal and result of being penned up during the current unpleasantness.

It's why we need to recognize and stay away from problems, don't initiate foolhardy responses, doing so makes you part of the problem you're complaining about.

Yup, I get your point 100%, and can't disagree with you. But there is a flip side to that coin. This is no different to a bully in public school constantly taking your lunch money. One day you're gonna have enough of it, refuse, and get into an altercation. I get the suggestion, let the bully have his way. But I can also understand letting this clown know something so maybe he doesn't do it to the next person, a wake up call if you will. Coulda woulda shoulda, no accident occurred, nobody was impacted, injured or anything else. Next time this happens I'm just gonna roll off the throttle to the posted speed limit and set the cruise control. If people cannot handle the pandemic, can't drive with any level of courtesy they need to stay off the road. Barreling down on someone on a service road at highway speed is not something I'm putting up with anymore. It's intimidation, and if we all keep putting up with it they are going to continue the behavior.

Calling me an ass hole, etc, doesn't bother me at all (not you sir, above quotes). Your definition of me does not define who I am. I expected responses such as this or I wouldn't have put myself out there to share. This clown could have gotten over as well, and he finally did, barreling down at 70 mph just to have to stop at the light.

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I think your choice to "teach him a lesson" is misplaced. You choice escalated into something more dangerous. You could have brandished a firearm to teach him a lesson, and that would be wrong, too. Roll Eyes

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Nope. He got brake checked but I didn’t bring my car to a stop, didn’t skid/slide, exited highway and this dude his barreling in on me so I scrubbed off my speed a little faster than normal. I wouldn’t have been cited either, not here, you hit someone from behind it’s your ass not mine, this guy was running 20mph over posted limit on a service road or trying to. I also don’t give a fuck at this point. This bs is going on every single drive anywhere. People are out of their flipping minds at this point. Yesterday I just had enough of it. I bet if I was in my truck yesterday the clown wouldn’t be pulling this.

I expected responses like that so doesn’t bother me in the slightest. You want to ride people’s ass driving like an ass hat be prepared to pay for it.

Good for you! Just remember to say; I saw a little brown furry thing run out in front of me. Piss all over tailgaters they get what they deserve.

Posts: 2162 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem today is, this jackass probably has a 9mm under his seat. I know I do. Better to just get out of his way. Getting home for supper is more important than making a point.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace31:

Good for you! Just remember to say; I saw a little brown furry thing run out in front of me. Piss all over tailgaters they get what they deserve.

I’m familiar with the law. This guy driving like this could run someone over and kill a whole family. If nobody checks them once in a while, the roads will be anarchy. My Fox News affiliate, every night, driving like this is killing people, people wrapping thier vehicles around poles, each other, lots of traffic deaths.