SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    And I was doing so well....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And I was doing so well.... Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Been up since 0115. Pretty sure it’s another kidney stone.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Damn. Hope things come out alright without too much pain.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor Bastard! I feel for you! My wife took me to the ER for one last Friday. I still feel like I've been beaten about the waist with a 2x4. But it is getting better.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Worrying about another kidney stone certainly isn't going to help you go to sleep.

i do know about not being able to sleep. I'm sitting up doing something and feel sleepy. It's like 11:30 PM so it's good. I go to bed, then I can't fall asleep and I just lie there awake even if I close my eyes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks. I get about 10 or 15 stones a year. Those most are without too much pain or discomfort. Hope it passes easily for you.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Worrying about another kidney stone certainly isn't going to help you go to sleep.

i do know about not being able to sleep. I'm sitting up doing something and feel sleepy. It's like 11:30 PM so it's good. I go to bed, then I can't fall asleep and I just lie there awake even if I close my eyes.

I stay up and lie on the couch with the TV on. I conk out in no time. I wake up about 2 AM and head for bedroom and go back to sleep. Another trick I have been using is, to go to bed and mentally start a round of sporting clays in my head. I rarely get past Station three.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally passed it this morning about 12:20.
It was fairly small compared to some of my past stones, only a tad over 1/8”.
Must’ve been it’s shape that caused so much discomfort.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I hope you're feeling better!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I hope you're feeling better!

Lots! Thanks. Smile

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My turn! At least that's my working diagnosis.
Having had 2 symptomatic and one asymptomatic episode of kidney stones, all on the left side, I should have known that was not routine back pain starting last night.
I took 5 mg of oxycodone at 2 am, another 5 at 04:45. It helps, but I have hardly had any sleep all night.
The pain has gone from the left flank to the left groin, and to me (as a physician and patient both) that is highly suggestive of passage of a kidney stone down the ureter to the junction of the ureter and the bladder.
I suspect pain would be a lot worse had I not had multiple ureteroscopies and stents on that side.
Sent an e-mail to my stone urologist (as opposed to my bladder cancer urologist), and will follow up with a phone call to the office when they open.
I would like to avoid an ED visit; if pain is controllable with oral meds, and if I can get lab tests and a CT of the urinary system, I may be able to avoid the ED.

I'll be surprised if I'm passing a stone just 6 months after a ureteroscopy to remove the last one, and with a 24-hour urine that looks protective against re-developing stones. But I'll be more surprised if it's not--it sure does feel like it.

Thanks for listening, and happy new year!

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
My poor wife had to have surgery to take car of her stone, then ended up with a blood infection.

Needless to say she found out composition of stone, and has religiously avoided any foods that could encourage growth.

Biggest, all spinach and almonds. Tough to find salad mixes without spinach leaves... she wont even have a leaf!

She was in terrible pain, you all have my sympathy.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Your wife has the attitude my wife wishes I had: I continue to eat cashews and chocolate and drink some tea.

I take potassium citrate to alkalinize the urine, which has taken it from pH 5 to 6.3; I should drink a little more water than I do; and I've started taking Tums with my cashews (the calcium carbonate binds with the oxalates in food in the gut, removes it through the stool.

Anyway, I got through to urology, labs are ordered, waiting on my urologist to see if he wants a CT urogram or other imaging.

Haven't needed pain medication for 4 hours, a huge change from last night.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The phantom stone: no blood in urine, no more pain. I passed it, it’s still in the bladder, or something else entirely.

posted Hide Post
The only thing worse than an answer...no answer.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
CT scan Sunday, so we’ll see—or not.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Like shooting a .50BMG through a Rugar 10/22.
You just find it hard to press the trigger. Ouch...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
My poor wife had to have surgery to take car of her stone, then ended up with a blood infection.

She was in terrible pain, you all have my sympathy.

I will add you all to my prayer log, you have my sympathies, my BIL had some heart work done and since has a blood infection and are having him draw blood every two weeks trying to determine the cause, they're leaning towards the kidneys. If you're doing any praying please toss him in there, his name is Neil. Since I've just the one kidney left since 64' I can't imaging anything happening to the remaining one.

So I'll add good recovery in for hudr, and Dreamerx4's wife, and include one your way Doc for discovery and healing. I'll send those up tonight. Keeping appointments, medical procedures, and corresponding hospital visits these days are compounded during this pandemic too, so be well all.
Done!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Talk to your doctor about Tamsulosin. It has been a life changer for me. I can normally pop one when I feel a stone and it prevents me from having to take a narcotic. I am also on Potassium Citrate twice a day and I add AZO when they get bad. I also take an anti-inflammatory. This combo seems to work well for me. I also have calcium oxalate stones so knowing what they means you can get on a good plan to help prevent them.
Good luck!!

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post