SIGforum
FedEx- of all the common carriers in the US, FedEx is the weirdest

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3240098124

March 30, 2017, 11:34 AM
parabellum
FedEx- of all the common carriers in the US, FedEx is the weirdest
They just are, that's all. When your behavior makes less sense than that of the US Postal Service, you are seriously weird.
March 30, 2017, 12:29 PM
Aquabird
Agreed. In another thread, I said I avoid them if at all possible. I did get an ATV battery via them yesterday and it went ok.

My son, who works for UPS told me that he thought that Fed Ex sells routes to people who run them as they would their own business.

He said he read where some people buy multiple routes or districts and hire people to run them or at least drive for them.

I tried to follow the path of the battery I ordered, but could only follow it to when it got into Fed Ex hands.

With UPS, it is easy to follow to exactly where it is on any half day.
Like the gun that a member here lost, my son said with UPS they would know who and where it was last scanned in.

You can actually follow the trail. Not sure you can do that with Fed Ex.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
March 30, 2017, 01:48 PM
1967Goat
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
My son, who works for UPS told me that he thought that Fed Ex sells routes to people who run them as they would their own business.

He said he read where some people buy multiple routes or districts and hire people to run them or at least drive for them.

I believe this to be true, based on conversations with my old FedEx driver. He told me he "purchased" his route. Nice enough guy, but man was he chatty.

For example, I know he makes ~$40k per year, he used to be a housing developer until the market went belly up in 2008... Dude, I don't care, just give me my package and be on your way. I was joking about him to my neighbor, and my neighbor said he told him the exact same thing!
March 30, 2017, 03:34 PM
FedEx left my package in the driveway last week and too lazy to put it on the porch. So it rained and I didn't find it for two days since the weather was bad and I stayed inside.

March 30, 2017, 03:56 PM
trapper189
FedEx Ground, formerly known as RPS (Roadway Package System) until FedEx bought them, is separate from FedEx Express. Different trucks, drivers, and routes. FedEx Ground routes are auctioned off and the buyers are treated as indepenent contractors by FedEx. They people that buy the routes, buy their own trucks, insurance, etc.
March 30, 2017, 05:25 PM
ZSMICHAEL
I have never had a problem with Fed Ex Air. Ground is another matter. Sig used FedEx to send some parts to me last week. Usually it is two days from NH. It was a week this time because they transferred it to USPS for some reason. The tracking stuff was weird and the delivery date kept getting pushed back. I hope this is not a trend.
March 31, 2017, 05:23 AM
2010Challenger
Fedex annoys the hell out of me. I've had the same driver for at least 10 years, and I can't seem to get him to understand what I want/need him to do or not do. It's not all that hard! I sleep in the daytime. When he has a package that doesn't need a sig, leave it on the porch, and leave. DO NOT KNOCK ON THE DOOR! If he needs a sig, then DO KNOCK ON THE DOOR. Is this all that confusing? I have a sign telling them this on the door, but it doesn't seem to get through his thick skull. Every time I get a delivery, he bangs on the door. If it's something he can leave, he takes off, if not, he stands there. If I need to sign, I don't mind being woke up, but when I don't, don't bang on the door! I don't understand why he keeps doing it! I complained about it a couple of times, but it did nothing.
March 31, 2017, 07:51 AM
BurtonRW
FWIW, I ordered a piece of flat-pack furniture through Amazon. Shipping weight in excess of 70 lbs.

UPS managed to lose it after it had been scanned in at my local shipping hub, only about 15 miles away.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
March 31, 2017, 08:59 AM
Timdogg6
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
FWIW, I ordered a piece of flat-pack furniture through Amazon. Shipping weight in excess of 70 lbs.

UPS managed to lose it after it had been scanned in at my local shipping hub, only about 15 miles away.

-Rob

Any by lose, you mean they put it on craigs list of course.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz
March 31, 2017, 11:09 AM
PASig
Long before I found the local UPS Hub was better and then a local FFL (even better since he can ship via USPS), I went to ship a pistol I sold here, a Kahr MK9 IIRC, at FedEx. I followed every rule to the "t" and packaged the gun securely.

When asked what I was shipping by the counter lady, I replied "it's a firearm", she freaks out and asks me if it's loaded! I tell her no, then she tries to tell me I'm not allowed to ship guns, at this point I tell her to get her supervisor who comes out and listens to my explanation about following all the rules and how I needed it shipped a certain way he basically asked her what was the problem.
Roll Eyes

That was the first and LAST time I used them, as they charged me around 80 bucks. Confused

I really get the impression that they don't even know or understand their own regulations.

March 31, 2017, 01:18 PM
Wasabibill
FedEx has been my only carrier because I need to be able to track overnight letters. A month ago I scheduled a pickup and the driver didn't come. I scheduled another pickup and the driver came and then complained because there was only one letter to pick up rather than two!

I went to UPS briefly and have now transitioned to the United States Postal Service. You're right, FedEx is weirder than USPS.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.
March 31, 2017, 01:57 PM
Combat Vet
And I always thought Fed Ex was good. But then I never had a problem with them. Now watch, next shipment will be a problem

Kevin
March 31, 2017, 02:11 PM
jimmy123x
quote:
Originally posted by Combat Vet:
And I always thought Fed Ex was good. But then I never had a problem with them. Now watch, next shipment will be a problem

Kevin

Me too, never had an issue with Fedex. Now UPS, everything I've had shipped to me by UPS, the box looks like they played basketball with it for 2 days.
March 31, 2017, 02:38 PM
95flhr
My understanding is the regular FedEx folks are company employees, Ground and the Home services are contracted out.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart
March 31, 2017, 04:14 PM
ulsterman
Watched a FEDEX truck drive up and down the road. Kinda looked like the duck at the shooting gallery at the fair.

Go up the road. Ping.

Goes back down the road. Ping.

Goes up the road. Ping

Watched this for about 1/2 hour and went out to the road and gave him directions.
March 31, 2017, 04:19 PM
parabellum
Yeah, they do that contracted delivery crap here. The trucks some of these guys use...

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
April 01, 2017, 09:45 PM
DLC762
I hate that when a package goes into a black hole on the tracking site. Sometimes it gets delivered before the tracking site gets updated.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
That was the first and LAST time I used them, as they charged me around 80 bucks. Confused

What's the least expensive way to ship a handgun now?
I used the same LGS for 25 years, but he retired and closed.
The local shops want around $75 to run one through their books and ship USPS.
Last one I took to UPS ran $80 for overnight, so what's a guy to do?

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
April 01, 2017, 09:52 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Long before I found the local UPS Hub was better and then a local FFL (even better since he can ship via USPS), I went to ship a pistol I sold here, a Kahr MK9 IIRC, at FedEx. I followed every rule to the "t" and packaged the gun securely.

When asked what I was shipping by the counter lady, I replied "it's a firearm", she freaks out and asks me if it's loaded! I tell her no, then she tries to tell me I'm not allowed to ship guns, at this point I tell her to get her supervisor who comes out and listens to my explanation about following all the rules and how I needed it shipped a certain way he basically asked her what was the problem.
Roll Eyes

I really get the impression that they don't even know or understand their own regulations.

My boss tried to mail a couple of guns to Bruce Gray this week with UPS. They first said they can't do it, then got multiple people involved, after much discussion they then made up on the spot some bullshit rule that they needed a copy of Bruce's FFL to ship to him.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
April 06, 2017, 06:58 PM
Well the tracking number says DELIVERED but it is no where in sight including the back yard. Big Grin

Yep..another golden FedEx transfer to the USPS when I could have had it yesterday. So maybe it is still on the USPS truck??

April 07, 2017, 01:49 PM
SBrooks
sometimes mine says "delivered" and it's been dropped off at a neighbors house, in the mailbox, at the mailbox, at my front door, at my garage door, in the driveway, etc.

"Delivered" can mean many things...

------------------
SBrooks