SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gas prices leaping up in the space of 4 hours! :-0
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas prices leaping up in the space of 4 hours! :-0 Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Looks like prices here have gone up about $0.40 in the last couple of days. Saw some at $2.69 today. They were at $2.09 about 3 days ago, or so.

We stopped at a station in Fredricsburg the other day. Headed down to Tappahannock to pick up my car. Paid $1.99. On the way back, same day, it was advertised at $2.29.

Price gouging assholes! All based on that story out of Texas about refineries shut down and the predicted shortages.

I have seen some reports of stations being out of gas but none around here.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
In and around $2.80-2.85 here in the mid-eastern part of PA.
Up about 40-cents since right before Harvey!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It used to take longer to change prices before the digital age. I used to have fun watching the guy with the long pole change the numbers on the sign. That was above my pay grade at the time. It looked hard to do.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Prices have gone up .25-.30 in the past couple of days. Paid $2.49 this evening.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep. Forty cents here in 48 hours. Opportunistic at best.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The change up here in the sticks has been pretty modest - maybe 15 cents per gallon.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It's a funny thing. The oil industry often quotes a lot of excuses for stuff like this, but they seem be that dude that lives paycheck to paycheck, and one minor disruption in one area throws everything into a tizzy. That's best case scenario. Or it could be that they are Cheaper than Dirt minded.

Which do you think is more likely? It's really hard to explain away that a vendor gave X for the gas in that has been delivered, and was selling it for Y. Then his supplier calls and orders him to raise the price of the gas that has already been paid for to Z at 7PM tonight because of supply disruptions. And then with a straight face tell people that they aren't being fleeced.

I was in a store a few days ago and was standing in line to purchase a drink. The cashier told each customer "if you need gas, I'd get it before 7 because prices are going up". When she told me that I said "Oh, we're already starting that rumor". She replied "It ain't no rumor, it's going up .40 cents per gallon". I smiled at her and said "Tomorrow, right on cue, I'll go into a store, and they'll be talking about being out of gas soon. This is what drives it. Loaf of bread, gallon of milk". She just stared at me for rocking the boat on the sales pitch.

Care to guess what I heard two days later?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I got gas yesterday... 87 octane went up almost 50¢ a gallon from the week before. 93 octane didn't go up at all. Confused

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the argument of "Yes, I know what we paid for what was already delivered. But replacing is going to costs us more in the future, so you need to pay us more right now!" Go f*ck yourselves. And yes, I'll keep paying. I can't walk the 17 miles to work every day.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I paid $2.89 this morning.

Prices in PA were finally starting to drop, still much higher than most of the country though.

Filled up prior to leaving for vacation on August 26th for around $2.40

Now they are talking Irma and North Korea may drive up prices even more, can't wait till that crap happens. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
They were as low as $2.17 in NJ, now they're about $2.69-$2.79

$2.89 is the highest I've seen in PA so far, so it as low as $2.75 on our drive through the back roads from Hershey to BucksCo

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Up around 40¢ here. Not unexpected or anything to get mad about, it's life and economics.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Up around 40¢ here. Not unexpected or anything to get mad about, it's life and economics.

But is it really?

IIRC, those refineries that closed down in Texas were about 20% of the US gasoline supply. The way prices are being jacked up, you'd think it was 80% of refineries shut down. Most of them have actually resumed operations today I found out too, but you watch it will take months for gas prices to return to pre-Harvey levels if they ever do.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post