SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gas prices leaping up in the space of 4 hours! :-0
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas prices leaping up in the space of 4 hours! :-0 Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
Yes I know Texas is getting hit with the hurricane and as a result refineries are going off line for a while...

I went to our range about 9:00 this morning to help set up tomorrow's cowboy action shoot...passed my local Shell station where I regularly buy my gas...price was $1.95 for regular (I was running a little late so I figured I would just stop going back home)...

After about four hours or so of setting up, bullshitting and shooting the AR and the Sig 522 (new Nikon .22 scope Smile ) I headed home...

I pulled into my regular favorite gas station to fill up and the price of regular had jumped to $2.19 per gallon...an increase of 25 cents in 4 hours...same increase at the other stations I pass by...

I drove up the road a few minutes ago to buy some LED light bulbs at Home Depot for a new lamp...the one station I pass by has again raised the price another .20 cents to $2.39 and the lines were forming to buy gas Confused...

I know this storm is not good for those in it's path and precautions and safeguards are needed to protect the oil rigs, refineries and the workers and shutting them down is both prudent and necessary (no issues at all with this)...but it seems to me that the local gas stations/distributors are using this hurricane to shoot prices up and create a "panic" that will spread not only into the weekend, but into next week. I truthfully expect to see bagged pumps and more price increases...

Hope I'm wrong.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I put mid grade in because I couldn't swallow $3 a gallon for premium.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.aei.org/publicatio...or-hurricane-harvey/

This will not help you, but those of us in path of Harvey will certainly fill that out. I remember when a local store price gouged on chain saws, after Hurricane Frederic in 1979. There were no laws against that at the time, but no one would shop there later. It closed within a year.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

This will not help you, but those of us in path of Harvey will certainly fill that out. I remember when a local store price gouged on chain saws, after Hurricane Frederic in 1979. There were no laws against that at the time, but no one would shop there later. It closed within a year.

Yeah.

It's just plain bad business.

We saw some of this bullshit in connection with the eclipse last Monday -- some gas stations in SE Idaho pushed their per gallon prices to over $3. Most locals will never let their shadows darken the doorway of those places again. Fuck the price-gouging bastards all to hell.

Some argued that they'd run out of gas so the increased price was just a rationing tool. Maybe so. But it was also a sure-fire way to piss off your local customers, who are far more likely to empathize with the store temporarily running out of a product than with the store robbing them just because they can.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a station here in Richmond that routinely charges 50 cents more per gallon, 50 cents! On the rare occasion that I see someone pumping gas there, I want to pull over and ask them why are you getting gas here, when you can pay so much less two blocks down the street? There used to be a motel out on the highway that would by junked cars and park them out front so that people would think other folks were staying there. I think this guy has employees park in front of some of the pumps to fool others into thinking there are people actually buying gas there without looking at the posted price .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Yeah.

It's just plain bad business.

We saw some of this bullshit in connection with the eclipse last Monday -- some gas stations in SE Idaho pushed their per gallon prices to over $3. Most locals will never let their shadows darken the doorway of those places again. Fuck the price-gouging bastards all to hell.

Some argued that they'd run out of gas so the increased price was just a rationing tool. Maybe so. But it was also a sure-fire way to piss off your local customers, who are far more likely to empathize with the store temporarily running out of a product than with the store robbing them just because they can.

That is the biggest bullshit excuse that there is... We are gouging you to prevent you from overconsuming.... Just call it what it is, we have a product you have to buy so we will charge what we damn well feel like

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I fully expect another no / limited fuel availability in the mid state for the next couple weeks.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
actually it is common practice,

when I was managing stores for a very large grocery chain, we would get direction to raise prices of gas (amount depending on situation) during events that threatened the supply,

reason was supposedly that even tho that tank in the ground was full and paid for, the stuff that it was going to be replaced with was gonna cost more, so get some $$ now

keep in mind I sold an avg of 75K gallons a week, one store would do 100K easy a week

of course this was sometimes done to 'check the market'
meaning we management types had to ride the road at least 2x
's a day to check competitors (usually on the way in, and one the way home for the 7-6 manager ,,,

so if I was directed to raise price 25cents a gallon, then wait a few hours and go for a ride, see if the competition adjusted and react accordingly,

the manhours tied up and mileage (never got paid for that ) add up during price spikes (and also when prices drop, but no one bitches about that)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Most stations I've seen charge more for gas just because are those stations in desolate areas of interstate. Think I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso. While it is desolate, there are a few stops such as Ozona and Ft. Stockton. However, not everyone knows that. They don't think to top off when they can and end up having to get fuel for $1.00 more a gallon. Not a big deal in the long term scheme of things but I wouldn't feel good about getting ripped.

When I drive long distance I typically bring a 5 gallon can with me to increase my range by 120 miles so I can bypass those wanting to charge more just because.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
actually it is common practice,

when I was managing stores for a very large grocery chain, we would get direction to raise prices of gas (amount depending on situation) during events that threatened the supply,

reason was supposedly that even tho that tank in the ground was full and paid for, the stuff that it was going to be replaced with was gonna cost more, so get some $$ now

keep in mind I sold an avg of 75K gallons a week, one store would do 100K easy a week

of course this was sometimes done to 'check the market'
meaning we management types had to ride the road at least 2x
's a day to check competitors (usually on the way in, and one the way home for the 7-6 manager ,,,

so if I was directed to raise price 25cents a gallon, then wait a few hours and go for a ride, see if the competition adjusted and react accordingly,

the manhours tied up and mileage (never got paid for that ) add up during price spikes (and also when prices drop, but no one bitches about that)

The sales price is based on the vendors replacement cost of the product, not the original purchase price.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
There is a station here in Richmond that routinely charges 50 cents more per gallon, 50 cents! On the rare occasion that I see someone pumping gas there, I want to pull over and ask them why are you getting gas here, when you can pay so much less two blocks down the street? There used to be a motel out on the highway that would by junked cars and park them out front so that people would think other folks were staying there. I think this guy has employees park in front of some of the pumps to fool others into thinking there are people actually buying gas there without looking at the posted price .

Last year I went to Orlando and then went to Visit relatives in Savannah. I rented a car at the hotel kiosk, and found that it was cheaper to drop it off at the airport when I returned. So, after I returned to Orlando, I went to top off the car, and saw this just north of the airport entrance. Mind you, just a mile up the road the gas was $2.00/ gallon. I wonder how many foreign tourists are gouged thinking that the cost of gas in the US is just like Europe?
Yes that reads $5.95.9:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
It is not gouging. It is standard practice since pricing is based on the spot market. As mentioned above, pricing is tied to replacement costs. I have a background in the wholesale and retail operations of the energy sector.

Anytime an event shuts down production, expect a price spike.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Most stations I've seen charge more for gas just because are those stations in desolate areas of interstate. Think I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso. While it is desolate, there are a few stops such as Ozona and Ft. Stockton. However, not everyone knows that. They don't think to top off when they can and end up having to get fuel for $1.00 more a gallon. Not a big deal in the long term scheme of things but I wouldn't feel good about getting ripped.

When I drive long distance I typically bring a 5 gallon can with me to increase my range by 120 miles so I can bypass those wanting to charge more just because.

Hell, we drive to Ft Stockton to fill up when we go on a trip, because their gas is typically 15 cents cheaper compared to here 70 miles away in Jerkwater.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gas Buddy (for IPhone) is your friend

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
Prices here just jumped by 20 cents for 87 octane and 50 cents/gallon for 93 octane. Of course both my cars use the latter.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
I work right next door to a Cumberland Farms... Monday $2.35 for regular ... fast forward to today and it jumped to $2.85 for regular Eek Eek Eek

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$2.29 on my way to work yesterday. Get off of work last night at 11:30 and the price was $2.59.
It's a sin to mark up bottled water but it's okay to raise gas prices. :/

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:

Last year I went to Orlando and then went to Visit relatives in Savannah. I rented a car at the hotel kiosk, and found that it was cheaper to drop it off at the airport when I returned. So, after I returned to Orlando, I went to top off the car, and saw this just north of the airport entrance. Mind you, just a mile up the road the gas was $2.00/ gallon. I wonder how many foreign tourists are gouged thinking that the cost of gas in the US is just like Europe?
Yes that reads $5.95.9:

We have that one too. Last station before the rental lot at IAH. 0.40-0.60 higher than the 2 stations on the outbound side of the main airport road.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
our prices are hanging steady around $2.50ish. Have been for the last several months. I haven't seen it below 2 for quite some time.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:

Yes that reads $5.95.9:

We have that one too. Last station before the rental lot at IAH. 0.40-0.60 higher than the 2 stations on the outbound side of the main airport road.

But still cheaper than the rental car place.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post