SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    4:00 AM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4:00 AM Login/Join 
posted
It's 4 AM, I've been awake since 2:45 and I just got to work. I don't start until 7.
I FUCKING HATE DAY TURN. I haven't slept more than 2 hours in a row since last week. And I've got a trainee this week on top of it. Fuck my life.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I used to sleep like a rock, day or night. When I was tired and wanted to sleep: *poof*! Out like a light. Once-upon-a-time it took not less than three alarm clocks to wake me--set five minutes apart at increasing distances from the bed.

For the last, I dunno, 8-10 years, I guess: No more. Sometimes trouble getting to sleep. Almost always wake at least once, sometimes two or three times. Then sometimes trouble getting back to sleep.

That is the best part of retirement. It happened a couple days ago. Woke up at 4 o'clock in the morning and, after laying there for an hour, realized I wasn't going back to sleep. Got up and browsed on the computer for a while, until I got sleepy again. Then went back to bed.

If it'd been a work day it would've sucked.

So I feel your pain, brother. Believe me!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
When I was a young man, I slept like a rock. Hard, "fall through the bed" and such.

For the past 10 years, I sleep like a dozing cat.

A gnat farts a mile away, an eye opens. An ant slips, falls down the hill in the yard, and it sounds like a shot and up I sit, wide eyed and ready to rock and roll. Takes 15 minutes to drift back off to cat napping.

Oy.

To once again, sleep like a rock...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Just for my personal knowledge, around what age does this ailment start kicking in?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have insomnia and it sucks. Sometimes I go 3 days or so with only getting 3 hours a night. Blows

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
When I was a young man, I slept like a rock. Hard, "fall through the bed" and such.

For the past 10 years, I sleep like a dozing cat.

A gnat farts a mile away, an eye opens. An ant slips, falls down the hill in the yard, and it sounds like a shot and up I sit, wide eyed and ready to rock and roll. Takes 15 minutes to drift back off to cat napping.

Oy.

To once again, sleep like a rock...

What did wise old Solomon say in Ecclesiastes...

"when people rise up at the sound of birds,
but all their songs grow faint"

And birds are louder than farting gnats and slipping ants Wink Razz...I'm right there with you sigmonkey...I think an owl flew over last night and I swear it was an A-10 Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife has insomnia from worrying about our insoluble family problem, which means I get awakened when she's listening to her iPhone with headphones. The clicking wakes me up. Oh well, have to go to the bathroom anyway, so there's that.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have problems when I have to be "normal". I sleep fine working midnights or afternoons, just not on a regular 7-3. I might only get 5-6 hours, but it is for the most part a solid block of sleep. I just can't always trade my days away.

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Just for my personal knowledge, around what age does this ailment start kicking in?

For me about age 38 or so. I am 44 now. I had kids at the same time, so I am not sure if it's related or not.

I work in IT. Every 8 weeks I have to be on call, for an entire week. It sucks. I either have to stay up until 11:00 to monitor our nightly system restarts, or I have to get up at 5 instead, to verify the system restarts. At least 1 night in that 7 I will get called. Some times as many as 4 nights. Usually anytime between 1:00 and 4:30.

If called I have to get out of bed and quickly diagnose a computer problem. Sometimes they are an easy fix, such as simply re-running the job. Sometimes it requires more thought. Then it's back to bed. Then I lay there for an hour and a half at minimum trying to get back to sleep.

Sorry to derail your thread to pitch my own bitch. I was on call last week and got called twice (Wed & Sat night), both times at 4 AM. At least it's only 1 week every 2 months.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
There are days when you just let your trainee drive around town establishing their geography. Take a couple calls and lay low. But then again, I'm an FTO Sgt and I'd be dead in your ass.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to say my trainee was capable of operating on his own. I would also like to say I thought he was capable of tying his shoes without assistance. I am afraid I would be called a liar.