SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bust Out Another Thousand
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bust Out Another Thousand Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
All you boat owners knew where this was going before you even clicked on the thread. And I bet you cringed a little as you clicked.

Hooked up the boat early Sunday morning to head to the ramp and discovered that the trim/tilt motor in the outboard did not want to play. It worked Saturday when I ran the motor and checked everything out but nothing on Sunday. I have power and the relays are clicking away but no motor from either set of controls.

Dropped it off Monday at my Yamaha mechanic to look at but I expect it will need a new motor.

I really need to find a friend with a boat and start boating the right way. Roll Eyes

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You expect it with a boat. My GD cat has had two medical emergencies in two weeks, each at 500 bucks.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. I get it!

But, to quote "Igore", "could be worse"

Clipper Race Grounding

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I feel ya. Just got off the phone this minute with Brech Marine in Selma. Had left boat there for some maintenance, a couple minor repair items, bleeding trailer brakes, winterizing, etc.

If I get out for your thread title I'll spike a ball in the parking lot!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

Clipper Race Grounding

Yea, that's in a category of sucking all by itself.

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

Clipper Race Grounding

Yea, that's in a category of sucking all by itself.

That sure looks like a 'gator tried to cut the headland too close. That is a lot of reef/bottom exposed at low tide.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Yep, knew where it was going before clicking. Also knew what brand when you mentioned trim/tilt motor. I've got a Yamaha as well with the same problem. As a temporary solution if the motor is down, you can slide a piece of wood in there to the trim motor and tap on it forcefully. It knocks the brushes loose and it will work again for awhile. I took the motor apart, replaced the brushes, and it seems to work now.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Yep. Our denomination is the Boat Buck and 1 Boat Buck = $1000, and seems like almost everything costs at least half a boat buck.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I know NOTHING about boats but when the kids were growing up, I thought it would be fun to have one and give us something to do. I bought a Zodiac.

First time I put it in the lake I learned there is a drain plug in the back of the boat and the plug needs to be IN before it goes in the water Eek AND, the battery was dead.

One day while it was parked in its spot, I walked by it and noticed something different about it. Walked by again later and realized the 'different' was that the rear (transom?) had come undone from the pontoons and it and the motor were laying on the ground.

Sold it for parts And overall, I am much richer by not pouring money into the boat!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1368 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Don't you guys know the old addage about boats?

"He was happy when he bought it, and he was happy when he sold it."

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

"The only thing better than having a boat is having a friend with a boat!"

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I really need to find a friend with a boat and start boating the right way. Roll Eyes

That's the way I've always done it.
I'll buy the gas for the day(s) but the big ticket items - which is anything on a boat - weren't my headache. Smile

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up the boat today for just over 1 1/2 boat bucks.

I had them service the motor while they had it, I try to get it serviced every year but since we don't really have a non-boating season to down here it varies when I get it done.

At least I'm back on the water.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
You can reduce the $ with offerings of blood, strange bruises and sore muscles you didn't even know you had. And a lot of cuss words.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
You can reduce the $ with offerings of blood, strange bruises and sore muscles you didn't even know you had. And a lot of cuss words.

Pulling the tilt/trim motor requires partially removing the engine from the mounting bracket. Special tool and just a little outside my comfort zone.

I learned a long time ago that sometimes it is cheaper to pay someone who does something for a living then it is to do it yourself. Consider how fortunate we are to have members like appliance brad, Skins, and so many others who freely share their expertise to help out the rest of us.

posted Hide Post
a 23 y.o. apprentice electrician just purchased a
15 y.o cabin cruiser (27 ft.)

a mechanic quoted the seller $3,500. to re-do the v-8 motor.

the kid got the boat/trailer for $3,000.oo and will be rebuilding the motor on his own for less that $1,500.

he seems way way happy.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
a 23 y.o. apprentice electrician just purchased a
15 y.o cabin cruiser (27 ft.)

a mechanic quoted the seller $3,500. to re-do the v-8 motor.

the kid got the boat/trailer for $3,000.oo and will be rebuilding the motor on his own for less that $1,500.

he seems way way happy.

If a 2002 cabin cruiser, not a cuddy, that actually floats, that is a pretty good deal.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sold our boat right after memorial day weekend after 12 years of ownership. We had a lot of fun when we used it, we just didn't use it enough to justify the expense. Now we get to take vacations other than lake vacations Wink

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

"The only thing better than having a boat is having a friend with a boat!"

and even better than that is getting paid to run someone else's yacht.....I'm running a brand new $9 million 90' Motoryacht tomorrow and getting paid to do so!!!!!!! Sure beats chipping in to pay your buddy for the 200 gallons of diesel per hour it burns!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a 2002 cabin cruiser, not a cuddy, that actually floats, that is a pretty good deal.

The seller did not want to spend the dollars to fix it, the wife did not want it in the drive way ,
and the kid that bought it can fix pretty much anything and needed a project.

the perfect storm of boat exchange

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post