SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    One car Length
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One car Length Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
I was driving up Route 93 in Boston this evening after work. It's bumper to bumper in all lanes, but moving reasonable by Boston rush hour standards. You enter from the left, which creates a fourth lane. Anyway, I want to move over at some point, so I waited until there was a gap in the next lane. When there was the pick up truck behind me swooped into the lane. Oh, well, I figure, next time. Then he swoops back in ahead of me. Wtf? Okay, numb nuts, you gained a full car length. It's not like I was blocking the passing lane or anything as there was none. I wonder if he tried to leapfrog any more of the 100 cars ahead of him?

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
it's all about track position.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Technically, he gained two car lengths. This, of course, will have resulted in him reaching his destination approximately two seconds faster than if he'd stayed behind you. So congrats to him!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
the important thing is he beat you. you have to learn, no matter what, NEVER let anyone get in front of you in traffic. It doesn't matter what you must do. Speed up, slam on the brakes, flash your light, blast your horn for 45 seconds, run into them, anything...no matter what it takes. Be a man and then flip em the bird for good measure.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Having commuted to work on Storrow Drive....

If he was able to swoop back in front of you, you were not properly practicing defensive driving, masshole style.

If you allow there to be more than one car length of open space between you and the car in front of you, someone going half your speed WILL try to merge into that space.

Oh, I should add, and will then flip you off.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Ricky-Bobby syndrome. No cure.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:

I never understood this, and it's happened a couple of times.

So you got ahead of me (sometimes even by cutting me off), congratulations. Why would you then bother to flip someone off? Seems like a waste of energy for the flipper-offer.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

I never understood this, and it's happened a couple of times.

So you got ahead of me (sometimes even by cutting me off), congratulations. Why would you then bother to flip someone off? Seems like a waste of energy for the flipper-offer.

They know they just did something insanely rude and possibly dangerous, that would cause any normal human who was the victim of it to react with surprise and anger.

But admitting error is not for them. So they preemptively double down, and get enraged at YOU for even thinking about reacting negatively to them being an asshole to you.

I've seen it often. That react with rage *because* you know you were in the wrong but can't admit weakness or error thing seems to be a pathological trait characteristic of certain cultures.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My wife would say "you were gapping" to allow him in front of you.

She encourages aggressive driving. I love that woman Big Grin

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
That was excellent.. Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ha. I experienced something similar a few months ago. I'm third in line to make a left turn. Driver first in line hasn't pulled into the median and clearly isn't going to budge. I hit my horn, the two young ladies, for lack of a better term, in car number two turn around and flip me off. I laughed, hard.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Brian, isn’t this the rule and not the exception? Driving here is like warfare. I don’t let this shit get to me.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Never miss an opportunity to pass!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:

Hey - rubbin's racin'. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Big city or small, same bullshit.

I knew this was going to be one of the challenges of changing from a 10 year work at home plan to actually commuting 12 miles with the masses. I've gotten really good at just ignoring the idiots and doing all I can to stay out of the way, let them be and do what they are.

I'm not saying sometimes I haven't considered just ramming speed in the Fried Green Tomatoes, theme, but I've tamped it down.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I do not miss the twice daily drives like that, five times a week. Not in the least. I do not miss them so much, that I go out of my way to avoid going anywhere at a time that would put me in rush hours traffic.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While living in Chicago, I learned using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianC:
I was driving up Route 93 in Boston this evening after work. It's bumper to bumper in all lanes, but moving reasonable by Boston rush hour standards. You enter from the left, which creates a fourth lane. Anyway, I want to move over at some point, so I waited until there was a gap in the next lane. When there was the pick up truck behind me swooped into the lane. Oh, well, I figure, next time. Then he swoops back in ahead of me. Wtf? Okay, numb nuts, you gained a full car length. It's not like I was blocking the passing lane or anything as there was none. I wonder if he tried to leapfrog any more of the 100 cars ahead of him?

Pretty much common occurrence around here! 4 lane highway, speed limit 55. Cruising speed of the "convoys" is 65+. Normal interval between vehicles 1-2 car lengths.

Dumb asses swap lanes without signals, forcing their way into the extremely short gaps between cars, etc etc ad nauseum.

If one of those assholes screws up there will be a real pile-up of cars! People will die and only good fortune will keep fire from breaking out from ruptured fuel tanks. Not to mention the damned 18 wheeler trucks that drive the same way!

But then, in the world of these entitled assholes, the laws of physics do not apply when the assholes are driving. Those 4 little patches of tire rubber will NOT stop your vehicle in 10 feet if you are doing 70+!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post