SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Websites That Whine About Ad Blockers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Websites That Whine About Ad Blockers Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
In the war between internet users and advertisers, the advertisers fired the first shot, making web pages all but unusable by saturating them with ads. Makes it a pain in the ass to try to navigate a website, and with all the ads loading, it really makes things S L O W !

Users responded by adopting ad blockers.

Advertisers fired back, either refusing to load web pages in the presence of an ad blocker, or overlaying a good portion of the page with a frame that complains about the use of ad blockers.

I am using AdBlockerPlus. This places an icon on the menu bar of my browser, that shows a running count of how many ads are trying to load (and are intercepted) for any given web page.

I looked at a site this morning, could not believe how long it took to load the first page, then looked at the AdBlockerPlus icon. 120 ads. Not a type, one hundred twenty ads on the first page of that site.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Yep, I have noticed the same thing, "Would you please turn off add blocker so you can experience this website in its fullest, aka 100 ads"

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Advertisers fired back, either refusing to load web pages in the presence of an ad blocker, or overlaying a good portion of the page with a frame that complains about the use of ad blockers.

I am also using AdBlocker and this behavior on websites has become intolerable for me. If they won't let me see what's on their site without disabling my blocker, I close the window and move on to another site that will give me the info that I'm looking for. It's a big internet out there and there is still quite a bit of competition - for now.

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
if they won't let me peruse the site with my ad blocker on, I don't peruse the site, you just lost a customer.

I see it quite a bit with the ad blockers, slower for the page to come up, but, no ads...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'm running Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi. It acts as a sinkhole for all the ad requests. Easy to set up and really helps with bandwidth as the ads never get downloaded. Plus it blocks for every device on my network, including cell phone.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I'm running Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi. It acts as a sinkhole for all the ad requests. Easy to set up and really helps with bandwidth as the ads never get downloaded. Plus it blocks for every device on my network, including cell phone.
Is there a tutorial for this, that can be understood by those of us who have minimal networking knowledge?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I like the way you guys think.

Why do I use an ad blocker? Because way too many sites were so bloated with ads that sometimes my computer would freeze up.

When I get those whining messages "Please disable your ad blocker", I think to myself that these people brought it on themselves. If I can't see the site while running an ad blocker, 99% of the time I just close the window and move on.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
V-Tail,

Yep, I don't care for it either-

Amazing, isn't it- that their ads always load before whatever you want?

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
When a site complains about my use of an ad-blocker, it tells me that their content isn't as important as their ad revenue.

There is no site that is so unique (ever heard the term "Googlewhack?") that what I'm looking for can't be found somewhere else.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I simply move on to another site.

Im always amused at some websites where the ad will always load but the content does not.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other side of the coin: it costs money to run a web site. I don't expect anything for free.

Now granted some of these sites have so many ads that they run intolerably slowly. When that happens, I leave. But I don't begrudge a web site the opportunity to defray their costs and/or make some money.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maui19:

Other side of the coin: it costs money to run a web site. I don't expect anything for free.
Yes, web sites are not free to run, but if I visit a web site to order a product, I want to get it done. I do not want to wait for multiple ads to load in order to spend my money.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now granted some of these sites have so many ads that they run intolerably slowly. When that happens, I leave. But I don't begrudge a web site the opportunity to defray their costs and/or make some money.

I think we all get that, but the problem becomes when it crashes your browser or computer because all the ads and tracking crap. Not sure how they make money if they piss off the website users and they just go to another site and stop viewing the ads all together.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Is there a tutorial for this, that can be understood by those of us who have minimal networking knowledge?

First Google hit:

Pi-hole.net

A Raspberry Pi is about $35.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
quote:
First Google hit:

Pi-hole.net
Yeah, I saw that before I posted. That's why I asked about an UNDERSTANDABLE tutorial. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
This is a pretty easy to follow tutorial.
https://blog.cryptoaustralia.o...-setting-up-pi-hole/

If you buy a starter kit, you can skip the bits about downloading the software and expanding it onto an SD card, as that part has been done for you and you just have to boot it up and click on install.

this is the kit I started with, it has everything you need.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMVDHWB

How it works and why it's a good idea.
https://blog.cryptoaustralia.o...-ad-blocker-pi-hole/

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Back in the day companies would publish pamphlets, catalogs, magazines, and newspapers. The cost of running a printing press is incredibly more expensive than running a website. If you’re going to bust my balls, eat up my data and slow me down I’ll visit your competitors.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Another reason to be so thankful for the Sig Forum. Smile
Even worse is virtually every news site that makes them unviewable so I don't any more. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Back in the day companies would publish pamphlets, catalogs, magazines, and newspapers.

They still are. My mailbox is inundated by them. A scourge on humanity that adds to global warming by keeping my house warm. Roll Eyes

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Sigforum:
AdBlock, ads blocked: ZERO!!!!!!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post