SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So apparently I need a new sock manufacturer. Darn Tough is “Woke”.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So apparently I need a new sock manufacturer. Darn Tough is “Woke”. Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
So I guess if you are a minority looking for a good job, move to the 2nd whitest state and work for Darn Tough... I'll bet a minority would be promoted up quickly there

Depends on which minority you are. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I've never worn Darn Tough socks (and now it's more likely I never will), so I've no dog in this fight, but, FFS, how hard is it to just make & sell your damn product and leave the damn social crap to the damn social activists?

Exactly.
Dad always said, never mix business with politics.

Like one of the previous posters, nothing like pissing off your main audience.

BTW, since going to wool socks, have only put a hole in one sock... yep, Darn Tough is the one with the hole!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will end when sales drop. The NBA and NFL is already learning this, with viewership down 49 percent.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
So many of these companies have gone bat shit crazy lately. Gillette, Benchmade, Chic-fil-A, now these guys. Where do they see an upside?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Point6 socks, merino wool, made in the USA, guaranteed for life.

These have been my go to socks for at least 10 years.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My reply to Darntough.

I’m disappointed in your support for the riots and the attempted overthrow of the United States. BLM is a Marxist organization. Race is the issue being used as the divisive issue to create the unrest required for an overthrow. I don’t know if you are attempting to pander, or if you really believe what you are saying. Either way, you should stick to making your product and stay out of politics.

You celebrate diversity. In the future, I’m going to diversify my sock drawer with Wigwam and Farm to Feet. As a long-time customer who has recommended your products to many others, I’m very disappointed in your company and its leadership’s naiveté about current events. You’ve lost my support and my business.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will have to give Point6 socks a try
I must have 50 pairs of brand new socks so what is one more pair

On my way to NC from ND, I almost stopped at the Duluth Trading company store in Fridley Minnesota to get out and stretch my legs. I have never been in one and have been curious

Well I am glad I did not and will take my privileged blood money elsewhere

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
On my way to NC from ND, I almost stopped at the Duluth Trading company store in Fridley Minnesota to get out and stretch my legs. I have never been in one and have been curious

Well I am glad I did not and will take my privileged blood money elsewhere

Uh... Duluth Trading Company is not the same thing as Darn Tough Socks.

Two different companies. No connection. Darn Tough posted this racially woke press release. Duluth Trading did not.

Duluth Trading is definitely worth checking out. I really like their stuff, especially their Ballroom Flex jeans, Longtail T-shirts, and Free Range boxers.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still don’t understand why companies feel the need to publicize their political opinions. Either way you are going to offend somebody. I don’t know why they can just say nothing and continue to make whatever product you make while remaining neutral.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
How many men named Rick spell it Ric? I think that’s a clue.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
...FFS, how hard is it to just make & sell your damn product and leave the damn social crap to the damn social activists?

My thoughts exactly. I do a lot of online ordering, and I can't count how many companies I used to buy from have sent multiple unsolicited emails about their various social positions. The "we're with you" through COVID-19 ones were bad enough, but the latest ones on race relations are freaking ridiculous. I have two pairs of Darn Tough socks, and they're good socks, but don't see myself ever needing to deal with them again.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK

Thanks for the clarification
Well crap, now that sucks
This whole drive from the MN state line to the hotel here in Indianapolis (where i am right now) has been one giant traffic jam and construction zone.

The last couple of days I have not been right in the head (Both days what should have been easy 8hrs drive have turned into 10 or 11). Somehow I either combined them or crossed them up.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darn Tough doesn't have the breadth of customer base to do this - it will backfire. The majority of their customer base are used to be folks like you and I.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Darn Tough doesn't have the breadth of customer base to do this - it will backfire. The majority of their customer base are used to be folks like you and I.

Used to is right. I’ve bought 4 pair of their socks in the last month not to mention how many pair I already own. But I also wrote them an email letting them know I’ve bought my last pair.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I used their "contact" feature to send them a message, told them I was done, that need socks, not their values, (no matter what they are).

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just added a comment to their page.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see what they do with enough responses.

Will they back off on their stance?
Or double down?

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Glad I tried these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072..._apa_i_ImYmFb9MAHYWQ

They are holding up well, a bit thinner on the instep which I like.

I have bought 10 or so pair and while VDT are better they are not THAT better.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Seems like the new marketing avenue is to attach your company to something political to get attention.

IT can be a cheap and quick way to have your product name spread through social media, which directly reaches consumers, and with many platforms is targeted at specific individuals through some algorithm based on historical viewing. Facebook does it all the time.

You can walk into a store and start getting ads for that store without even searching.

Things like this hit the wrong target and go viral for other reasons, but it still goes viral, and you end up with millions of views, doesn't take much of a response rate to pay off..

Others are based on the views of ownership, that's their privilege as they write the checks obviously it works, companies keep doing it, either align with Trump or Woke....

Like the old saying "I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner"

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
You. Make. Socks.

Get over yourself and shut the fuck up. You're a fucking sock company. A. Sock. Company.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post