SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm saving a bloody fortune on fertilizer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm saving a bloody fortune on fertilizer Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Thanks to flocks of 60 or 70 of those feathered shit factories called Canada Geese.

I'm told they'll return to a place they feel safe and I guess this must be the place. They barely amble out of my path when I walk down to feed and water the chickens.

Don't really mind, just need to remember to take my boots off before going in the house.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15229 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told by the maintenance managers of local golf courses that goose poop has very limited fertilizing function for grass. It's just nasty, greasy crap.

Our office has a big crab apple tree near the parking lot. When the apples ripen and fall, the geese camp out for a few weeks in the parking lot. Goose turds everywhere on the ground, plus a few bombs strategically dropped onto cars during takeoffs and landings.

At one point in my life, I thought geese were cool birds.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Perversely enough, I STILL think they're pretty birds.

There was a flock of 20 or 30 grazing in the field next to the chicken coop this morning when I went down and I spotted another 20 or so coming around on final, gear and flaps down. I just stood and watched. It's amazing how a bird that big can go to reverse on the props, come to almost a complete stop about 6 inches off the runway and touch down as light as a feather (sorry...).

Posts: 15229 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You could start feeding them corn and after a few weeks they won’t tase muddy......

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
You could start feeding them corn and after a few weeks they won’t tase muddy......

I like your thinking

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

I like your thinking

Last year I put down some chicken scratch feed for them just out of curiosity.

Zero interest shown. They seem to prefer fresh green grass over grain.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I admire your tolerance for those flying shit factories. I have no such tolerance. If they started camping out on our lawn it would be war.

We had a terrible problem with them at the sailing club to which I once belonged. One of the members found a chemical you could spray on the lawn that wouldn't hurt them, but would make the grass unattractive to eat. It worked. They went away.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I admire your tolerance for those flying shit factories. I have no such tolerance. If they started camping out on our lawn it would be war.

We had a terrible problem with them at the sailing club to which I once belonged. One of the members found a chemical you could spray on the lawn that wouldn't hurt them, but would make the grass unattractive to eat. It worked. They went away.

And that chemical would be?

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Sodium cyanide.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Canada Goose being a protected species, I'm sure the posts referring to shooting/cooking/etc. are just funnin' us.

Here's a link to the Humane Society's guide to dealing with too many Canada Geese, legally if you decide you'd prefer they move on.

They are pretty, in small numbers and/or when you drive past. I can definitely sympathize with folks living where they gather in large numbers.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Canada Goose being a protected species, I'm sure the posts referring to shooting/cooking/etc. are just funnin' us.

Protected? Not where I live. Legal hunting (during season) here in AL.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:

Protected? Not where I live. Legal hunting (during season) here in AL.

They are a Federally protected species. link to Wikipedia
quote:
Canada geese are protected from hunting and capture outside of designated hunting seasons in the United States by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and in Canada under the Migratory Birds Convention Act.

Link - US Fish and Wildlife Services - List of Protected Species
quote:
Branta canadensis, Canada Goose

There is an exception during hunting season for licensed hunters, but that's not what's being discussed here. Here we're talking about a bunch moving into yards/populated areas and how to deal with that. And, even with a license, you'd only be able to take out a few - whatever the legal limit is - and that'd leave the rest of the flock.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
They really are shit factories. Hunting ducks and a flock flew over. I honestly thought it started raining...

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
There is a place upriver, maybe a mile, where the Reds lose most of their games. Its on our side of the river. Used to be a really nice river front park. Past tense. The geese didn't all come at once. Their flock just keeps growing. And now its getting pretty nasty. Goose shit everywhere.

Its one of our picnic places. We make a quick stop at Lee's, the chicken place, pick up a couple of snacks, and go to the river. Now its carpeted with turds. Not a few, a bunch of fresh ones every day. Not so nice a place these days. The numbers haven't grown up all at once. Just every year there are more of them. If they'd just swim in the river, it'd be OK.

These are aggressive birds. If you don't give them your biscuit, they'll try to take it. Kick them and they'll shit on your foot! Well, I like ducks. Won't tolerate the pigeons. So I feed my biscuit to sparrows and ducks, the favored species. But mostly these days we come back home. Same distance from the water, just on the dry side of the road. And no dirty birds.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Around in our area there should be no limit on shooting those crappin things. We hate them. In the spring they nest near our pond and you can't walk around the pond without stepping in the little gifts they leave everywhere.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Two previous companies hire dogs to chase the geese away. Apparently, if they homestead in your property, they can designated it as protected shelter and the companies couldn't build on the property.

They also sent out memos not to feed any animals.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
They are very aggressive, and should be respected. The Major Canadians are freaking huge. I am amazed at the number of dumb-asses that let their kids approach them, I guess under the assumption that 'nature is safe' for them.

The only encounters I have ever had were licensed, legal and lethal for the birds involved. Other than that I leave them alone and they leave me alone.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/XS4edlvY-ks

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We get them across the street form work and they come over for water from the drain. I won't do anything until they decide to start it. Then their done.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
People on our lake try all sorts of things to keep them off their shoreline or beach areas. Pinwheels or flags stuck in the sand work for a couple days but the geese get used to them. Our neighbors dog keeps a vigilant watch. If they dare land he's on them like a blanket in a second. Every now and again a goose will try to make a stand against him but it never lasts long. He's a border collie and is way to quick and agile. He is also fearless and will kill them if given the chance.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guy I worked with had a place on the lake infested with them. Neighbors niece visited with her new year old lab, and about 5 minutes after she opened the car door 12 or more were done and he wanted more.

She felt terrible, but he told her to come back anytime and to be sure and bring her dog.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post