SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Carefree Awning not so carefree
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carefree Awning not so carefree Login/Join 
Picture of Poacher
posted
The electric awning on my camper stopped working in the closed position. Checked the switch and it was good, so tried looking at the motor and you can't with the awning closed because all the screws are in the back against the camper, and there is no manual extension method.

Called Carefree and the rep tells me you have to break the cover to get to the motor. It is designed so you have to break the cover, which is $125 to replace.

One more time--it is designed so you have to break the cover. Who could ever take pride in a product such as that???

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Have you googled the model number to see if others have had the same issue and perhaps posted a resolution?

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, I googled it and found nothing about breaking it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Can't access the 7 screws that are up against the wall of the RV and can't manually roll out the awning. So then what?
I called a local RV repair guy who came out and looked at it, was perplexed so he called Carefree (and has an account with them). They told him same thing--break it.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Gee, then that should be warrantied under "manufacturing flaw"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Gee, then that should be warrantied under "manufacturing flaw"

To make it like that on purpose is asinine.

NRA Life Member

Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I found this information about replacing the motor on a Carefree Awning. It has directions for drilling and removing the end cap. I agree, this is not the best design.

The instructions include this statement:
NOTE:
If the awning is closed and cannot be opened, it will be necessary to drill through the end cap to access the end plate screws. This will require replacing the end cap to complete the repair.
https://www.carefreeofcolorado...or%20Replacement.pdf

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
I found this information about replacing the motor on a Carefree Awning. It has directions for drilling and removing the end cap. I agree, this is not the best design.

The instructions include this statement:
NOTE:
If the awning is closed and cannot be opened, it will be necessary to drill through the end cap to access the end plate screws. This will require replacing the end cap to complete the repair.
https://www.carefreeofcolorado...or%20Replacement.pdf

Maybe kind of potato potato--break it, drill it, then replace it. Still a horrible design in my mind.

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
Maybe kind of potato potato--break it, drill it, then replace it. Still a horrible design in my mind.

This is sadly quite common in design today because new engineers do NOT have and direct supervision. Back when I started in Engineering every single drawing was submitted to a Checker who insured it was correctly and fully dimensioned, satisfied the standards set forth in the Design Manual, and that it didn't have tolerances that could impact the final manufacturing cost. Now there isn't any review at all, if it can be drawn in CAD than in must be easy to manufacture.

The end result of this is what you have seen here. You want to see an example that will really send you over the edge get the cost for replacing a Headlight Bulb on a new car before you consider purchasing it. It costs about 800 dollars to replace the headlight bulb in a 4 door Chevy Sonic 4 door because the entire front facia has to be removed to do it. Sadly this type of crap is so common today that about 50% of the cars and trucks currently in showrooms will have a HUGE cost attached for replacing a simple 15 dollar bulb. BTW, it's even worse for LED headlamps, those can push towards 3000 dollars for some models.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Okay, you got me beat.

NRA Life Member

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
It costs about 800 dollars to replace the headlight bulb in a 4 door Chevy Sonic because the entire front facia has to be removed to do it. BTW, it's even worse for LED headlamps, those can push towards 3000 dollars for some models.

Yikes! Looks like I would have been safe with my old truck if I hadn't taken the HIDs off of a Q45 and converted it to projectors. Definitely a pain in the ass, took three weekends and a few hundred bucks. I have been able to avoid several deer and other unlit obstructions just because I have more usable light (13,000+ lumens Big Grin ). Replacing the lights is cheaper than hoods, fenders, etc...

For $800 I would replace it myself and buy another P220.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post