SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A Minor Beef
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Minor Beef Login/Join 
posted
I used my personal credit card (guns, liquor, etc) tonight at a liquor store. When I got home I checked my accounts to see if a rental car charge had been posted yet. Lo and behold, two charges were there I had not made, several miles away and within 2 minutes of the liquor charge. As I was dialing Chase, an alert popped up. My card was being used to charge 146 bucks worth of Panda Express. I called Chase. Within 5 minutes, the card was de-activated and another being prepared for delivery. Chase was REALLY easy to deal with, and now the cops are, I presume, looking for a fat guy with Chinese food on his breath.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I’d like to think the police are doing that, but it would require Chase filing a complaint on someone they can’t prove did something and most likely have little interest in catching. Also likely the reason they’re so easy to deal with. I had a similar incident and Chase was great about it, but I doubt they put any further effort into it.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
That kind of crap is enough to piss you off.

I have the notification limit on mine set to $1.00. As soon as I use it, I get a text message on my phone. Little bit of a pain, but I'm not complaining.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Chase will write it off and add it to that formula they use to calculates fees and interest you will pay to cover it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I’d like to think the police are doing that, but it would require Chase filing a complaint on someone they can’t prove did something and most likely have little interest in catching. Also likely the reason they’re so easy to deal with. I had a similar incident and Chase was great about it, but I doubt they put any further effort into it.

If he called the police and filed a report it would be very simple to pull camera footage from the Panda Express.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

If he called the police and filed a report it would be very simple to pull camera footage from the Panda Express.

I don’t see that he had the opportunity. He said it popped up while he was talking to Chase and Chase replaced the card (probably stopped the transaction) but I caught no mention of the OP calling the police at anytime. As SigMonkey made mention, the bank will figure all this into their fees. The vendor out there that accepted the card/transaction will be minus a bunch, in this case, of Chinese junk food and won’t get paid for it by the credit card company.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
With cc fraud costing banks, cc card companies, and merchants billions each year, I'm surprised that they haven't figured out a way to make the cardholder responsible for whatever is charged on the card, instead of just writing it off and ignoring it.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Chase will write it off and add it to that formula they use to calculates fees and interest you will pay to cover it.

And add it to this month's write offs (for taxes)

Oops! You already noted this.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
$146 at Panda Express?!? Eek

That is an explosive proposition.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed. Almost it's own punishment, isn't it? I pay no fees or interest, BTW, other than those incorporated into the cost of the products. I use the cards for "free" stuff, and pay it off monthly. I also think it's just a bit safer than a debit card, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

It happens. You really have no idea where they got your CC details, except sometimes like your experience where it closely follows a charge. The hackers buy and sell lists on the dark web, and it may sometimes be months before your CC number is used after being bought as part of a large list. The fact that you just made a charge somewhere may be misleading, just happenstance that they choose to use your number at that time.

Chase (and Discover) are very easy to deal with on fraud charges. They catch many and alert you, and now that I have my text alerts set to a very low trigger point, I sometimes catch them before the CC company does. Cancel account, they send you a new card. They will at first offer to send it "5-7 days", but if you plead hardship, they will overnight it to you at no extra charge.

One thing I do is never let the CC out of my sight (typically at a restaurant). I always pay cash when we eat out.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I stopped for gas on the NJ turnpike a few years back, paid with the AX card and within 15 minutes I had bought $2500 worth of stereo equipment in NYC. Nice I bet the store owner was pissed when he/she found out it was a bad charge. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
With cc fraud costing banks, cc card companies, and merchants billions each year, I'm surprised that they haven't figured out a way to make the cardholder responsible for whatever is charged on the card, instead of just writing it off and ignoring it.

The cost of the losses are passed on to other card members through fees and interest rates.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Our local media generally has a couple of videos or screen shots on a DAILY basis of shoplifters, people presenting stolen credit cards etc. Of course Walmart seems to dominate. A number of these people are later caught. This is one advantage of living in a smaller community.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The interesting part is the card was used about 30 miles apart, two charges at a CVS and the Panda Express. I caught it early because I checked my balance very shortly after I used the card, and saw the CVS charges, then I got the text from Chase.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
The interesting part is the card was used about 30 miles apart, two charges at a CVS and the Panda Express. I caught it early because I checked my balance very shortly after I used the card, and saw the CVS charges, then I got the text from Chase.

Did someone get a "hard copy" of your card? I can easily understand an internet purchase with a stolen card, but how can someone do that in person??

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Look for a fat guy with Chinese food on his breath who has a vehicle that can travel thirty miles very quickly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Look for a fat guy with Chinese food on his breath who has a vehicle that can travel thirty miles very quickly.

Or one who has a wireless skimmer or a network hack into a liquor store's payment terminal.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
You might want to call the owner/manager of the liquor store. It sounds like one of his employees stole your number. They might appreciate knowing they have a thief working for them as that person is probably also stealing merchandise from them or skimming cash from the register.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

We take this reports routinely. In cases where the card is being used locally, we obtain video and attempt to identify the people using the cards. We're moderately successful.

Posts: 5157 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post