SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No good deed goes unpunished--phone destroyed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No good deed goes unpunished--phone destroyed Login/Join 
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted
The wife and I have been splitting time between home and Norfolk/VA Beach since mid May. Our son has been in Navy OCS, and our daughter in law was pregnant with our first grand daughter. We were there for the birth and off and on since to help with the baby. Our son graduated last week, and we were in VA for his homecoming.

We were preparing to come home this morning, and I was taking the suitcases down to the truck. As I was returning to the apartment, I noticed a Malti-Poo type dog running free toward the road and a woman wearing flip flops trying to catch him. She said he had slipped out of his collar somehow. I offered to help her catch him, because the main road is 4 lanes in each direction with a grass median in between, and this was during morning rush hour. We tried to cut him off with a pincer move, but he somehow managed to elude us. We then realized he had somehow, miraculously, made it all the way across the road to the other side. I had to run across the north bound lanes to the median, wait for a gap in traffic, and run across the southbound lanes. We were able to coral the dog and get him back into his collar and leash. We then reversed the process of crossing back to the apartment complex.

About an hour after we left, I reached for my cell phone to plug it into the charger. No phone in my pocket. Using the wife's phone, we called our son, and he checked the apartment with no luck. He then went out to the road and found my phone along the median, having obviously been run over. I don't know how much I'll be able to recover from it until I get it in my hands, which won't be until later in the week, but I know a new phone is in my future. The prospect of losing all my photos and possibly call my contacts is not a pleasant one. I know I should have been backing things up, but shoulda, woulda, coulda, but didn't.

Funny thing is, I was wearing a P365 IWB in a Sticky Holster, and I was very cautious to keep a hand on it while running to make sure it didn't come out. I didn't think to do the same with my cell phone in my pocket. Oh well, at least the dog is o.k.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
What kind of phone do you have? Is it possible your contacts and photos are backed up to the cloud?

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Several months back I stopped to help a guy with a car fire. I emptied my 5 pound dry chemical and put it out.

He went on and on that he wanted to at least get my extinguisher filled for me. Local guy too.

STILL haven't seen or heard of my extinguisher.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Have you removed the sim card from the broken phone to see if it is recoverable? Did you have a memory card in it, too?

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Have you removed the sim card from the broken phone to see if it is recoverable? Did you have a memory card in it, too?

The phone was still in VA, but I should have it in hand tomorrow and can better assess the damage.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I finally gave in and gave google or someone about $1 (maybe $2) per month for a TB cloud backup thing. It has my music, photos, contacts, etc. and the phone does it every so often automatically so no fuss.

If you're Verizon - they typically have a backup of your contact info at the least.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think mine with Apple is $.99/mo.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I always write down the phone numbers that I care about keeping.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
TK13, you sir are a good man for risking life and limb for that stray pooch. Your good deed shall be returned to you by the cosmos. Be well.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post