SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When designing a table, it's generally a good idea to consider how the legs are going on before you start building.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When designing a table, it's generally a good idea to consider how the legs are going on before you start building. Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
I didn't, and I just had to remove a good bit of wood bordering.

I'm building a stand for my miter saw and bench grinder by gluing up some bent 2x4s. Been working on it for like the past 2 weeks. Got it all together, hand planed it flat "enough" (you want a shoulder workout? Go throw a #6 hand plane around for a week), and put a 1x3 border around it because I buggered the sides when I hand cut the sides trying to straighten it out(too tall for the table saw). Put another layer of 1x6 around that, mostly for appearance but also to attach the legs because I didn't think. It ended up super warped so I couldn't even use it for its original intended purpose anyway.

I just got done pulling the "bad" wood, and I cut a square out of one of the corners like I should have done in the first place. Just another thing to go wrong this weekend.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

You are now an experienced woodworker!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Touché. Only thing to do is learn. And, once the smoke settles, laugh at how stupid I was. Razz

Still don't know what I was thinking. I've been doing this stuff fairly casually for a while, minus the 2 years I took off to sort out my hands/arms. I'm usually pretty adept at designing in my head, but this one got away from me.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my world.

I'm in the habit of having a mental picture of what I want to build and perhaps noting down a few major measurements and then "designing" as I go. This is a by-product of a lifetime of building stuff from what I have available, determining dimensions by whats in my lumber stash.

Most times, that results in a few "field expedient modifications" as the construction process brings to light things I hadn't thought about. I can usually make it work, but there have been times I've just said "Well, shit.", scrapped it and started over working with the lessons learned.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post