SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lose versus loose.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lose versus loose. Login/Join 
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Irregardless.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
So, are you done, or finished?

Depends on how well the base coat works with the stain.

------------------------------- OR -------------------------------

If I can't do it anymore, I'm done. We keep going if she is from Finland.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Didn't we just due one of these?
Several.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We were discussing this just the other day down at Lou's.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I red what you said, but it didn't make any cents.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Let's not loose site of what happens on this sight when one is discussing new sites for a gun.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
You can state your fustration but no one is going to change at this point, in what they post on this web sight.

Loosers be loosing.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Shout it from the mountain tops and rafters sigfreund!

quote:
Originally posted by NavyAgShooter:
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Loose/lose has long been my pet peeve with regard to internet posting. Just ahead of tounge/tongue.

Doesn't anyone ever look at a dictionary?

Agreed. I'm certainly not perfect and have caught a few misspelled words in my posts over the years, but when uncertain about a word spelling I diddybop on over to an online dictionary and simply check spelling, and in some cases, definition or pronunciation.

The fact that so many misspelled words appear in posts, in many cases due to a combination of tiny smart phone key boards and a reliance on spell-check, auto-correct, and auto-fill features (those are the excuses I use Wink ) shouldn't surprise anyone. Many of those features simply don't work well and can't be trusted...

...what I don't understand is why more people don't take the time to actually read what they posted, and make corrections if necessary. The edit button is there for a reason.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
The intent of this thread is to obvious.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This raises a question I’ve wondered about for some time but never thought to ask here.

I keep seeing references to auto-fill features, but I don’t know what devices offer them, or make them a sort-of mandatory default. Any long post I make here I first draft in Word and then transfer it over. It and the forum post entry block identify words they perceive as misspelled, but neither attempts to fill in words or even offers suggests on what they should be (with some limited exceptions in Word). The other partial exception is my iPhone that will offer filler suggestions when I’m texting, but they don’t fill in automatically unless I manually select them.

I’m curious, therefore: Are there devices that will automatically assume, “You must mean ‘December’ rather than ‘describe,’ so that’s what I’ll insert unless you tell me otherwise”? If so, that would drive me nuts. If that’s a “thing,” what devices should I avoid?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
"Loose"/"Lose" have always been confusing for me, so I try and remember "Loose noose".

Kind of a side question, why isn't "nose" pronounced "news", or "lose" spelled "lews"?

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Several.
It's redundant repetition.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Gramar and spelling errors make me loose my temper to.

Grammer*

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I’m curious, therefore: Are there devices that will automatically assume, “You must mean ‘December’ rather than ‘describe,’ so that’s what I’ll insert unless you tell me otherwise”? If so, that would drive me nuts. If that’s a “thing,” what devices should I avoid?

My Iphone changes all kinds of words to things that don't make sense. I type fast enough that sometimes I don't notice what silliness it has substituted for the word I intended and I often find myself going back through something I've just posted and having to manually edit multiple words.

Now, from the computer, using my keyboard, I have no such problems.

quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
Kind of a side question, why isn't "nose" pronounced "news", or "lose" spelled "lews"?

The English language is a fascinating compilation of all kinds of bizarre loan-words and pronunciations. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Gramar and spelling errors make me loose my temper to.

Grammer*

*Grammar. Wink

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^^My misspelling of grammar went over his head. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3956 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
quote:

Irregardless, it doesn’t mean the point is mute.
Exspecially for folks that just wont axe for advise

Exspecially if they could care less.

Now youse guise are just loosing me.

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^My misspelling of grammar went over his head. Smile

That, or his went over mine. Fun either way. Big Grin

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Sounds like you already avoid them, but most likely what you are referring to are android type devices set on auto-correct. Just my guess.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Formally vs. formerly

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
There
They’re
Their

It’ll all be ok.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post