SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hmm, Where Did My Tape Measure Go
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hmm, Where Did My Tape Measure Go Login/Join 
posted
Putting some OSB down for an attic floor and I remember it falling off my belt at one point while crawling in the low clearance area . Well now the floor is down, and I can't find my tape measure... Mad

Pretty sure it's under the floor...

Tried a magnet on top, and a rod probing for it where I still had access, but no dice.

It was a nice 25' Stanley one too.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
I can't NOT find one now. Had the same issue, and ended up with 8 or so and strategically placed throughout the house/truck/shop.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started buying the brightly colored ones. I've lost a pink, an orange and a yellow now.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can never have too many. When they are on sale I pick up a couple and keep them around various places.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try working in a boatyard and having stuff fall in the water, never to return.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just based on title I was assuming GF/wife. That's usually a safe bet when mine go missing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
"I'll just set it down here so I remember where I put it." Famous last words. I can set the tape measure down to do something, and not cover it up or move it, and STILL manage to lose it.

This power doesn't just apply to measuring implements. During the course of building a table top for my desk build (a 3 month process), I lost 3 16oz hammers. In fact, I just found the last one while I was cleaning the garage today.

We have 5-10 tape measures floating around the house, but as soon as one might be pressed into service they all scatter to the wind.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have at least 5 of the 25 footers, plus the same amount of 6ft zig-zag rulers (Lufkin/Starrett)_. They are spread out everywhere in the house/garage/shed. Sometimes, a couple will end up in the same place, but this system keeps me sane.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It always amazes me that the dryer doesn't make more noise, because I figure all those missing tools must have fallen in there and disappeared with my socks.

It also amazes me where I'll later find the tools.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's me at work. I always keep my tape on my right side, until I have to do a metric ton of measuring. I swear it senses it needs to work and runs away.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know approximately where this tape measure is, to an 8'x8' area at least, but I don't really want to pull up the newly nailed down OSB to get it...

If I could narrow it down to exactly where it is, then I would undertake a recovery effort.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have 4 of them. 3 cheap HF ones and 1 Fat Max one. They're always in the way except for when I need one. When I need one, I can never find it and I'm always asking my wife if she's seen the tape measure... Big Grin

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Putting some OSB down for an attic floor and I remember it falling off my belt at one point while crawling in the low clearance area . Well now the floor is down, and I can't find my tape measure... Mad

Pretty sure it's under the floor...

Tried a magnet on top, and a rod probing for it where I still had access, but no dice.

It was a nice 25' Stanley one too.

Glad you are not my proctologist! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So I'm not the only one.
My wife isn't the only one who is bad at putting tools away, but she invents new places to put things, and doesn't distinguish "mine" from "hers".
OTOH she does a lot on her own that I would otherwise have to do, so who's to complain, right?
I just worry about the Festool stuff; I've given up on keeping a set of screwdrivers away from the paint-can-opening job.
Oh, and chisels used for various purposes (cutting tree roots) that leave them not only dull but chipped.
Fortunately she doesn't try using my Lie-Nielsen planes. Eek

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
After reading your theead title, just be glad it's only a tape measure .

For me its, T-Squares, hex keys, etc..if you get my drift.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a box of 25 foot stanly fat max tapes a few years back. 3.99 plus tax each. I bought all 20. I can find one.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I've given up on keeping a set of screwdrivers away from the paint-can-opening job.
Oh, and chisels used for various purposes (cutting tree roots) that leave them not only dull but chipped.

When we first got married, I gave her a nice Craftsman toolbox filled with everything she would ever need, and quality stuff too. I call it the sacrificial tool box. But that still does not prevent some incursion into my stuff. One thing I did was go to the local hardware store, and offer to buy a couple of dozen of those paint can openers/bottle openers that they give you with a purchase of paint. The owner just gave them to me. He buys them by the gross. They are now within easy reach virtually anywhere, and make great prying devices (as well as opening a beer bottle).

Thankfully I learned early on how to sharpen my own chisels and plane irons using a grinder. It is quick and easy, and with the right wheel provides an edge that needs no further work, unless you are some sort of purist. If it cuts wood well, that works for me. I don't need paper thin shavings.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have four of these,
http://www.harborfreight.com/2...bs-casing-69030.html

they offer them free , on a regular basis

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
That would be God's way of telling you to buy a Starrett Razz

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For Christmas, my wife gave me a 25ft Lufkin "self-centering" tape measure. It came with no instructions and drove me nuts trying to figure out the second row of numbers until I finally Googled it .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post