SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If it weren't for bad luck...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If it weren't for bad luck... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Etc. etc.

Can't recall if I posted about this, but last weekend I rode 100-ish miles to the Transportation Museum at Owl's Head. That's just outside Rockland for folks that know Maine.

The usual route is Coastal Route 1, which between Belfast (about half way) and Rockland is known as The World's Longest Tourist Parking Lot. I did find a way to avoid much of it, got to the museum and found out that the show I'd come down for was the PREVIOUS weekend. Gah.

After perusing the DeLorme book o' maps, I sussed out a route that avoids TWLTPL for all but a 1 mile stretch and decided to go down again today for the Wings and Wheels show. The B-17 Sentimental Journey, a B-25 and a P-51 were scheduled to be there, and I'm more than a bit fond of WWII aircraft.

The new route worked out very well after a couple of missed turns and backtracks. As I rode up the last bit before the entrance to the Museum, I started noticing cars parked along the road and in the fields to either side. Then I saw cars and people lined up all the way out the 1/2 mile entrance road and into traffic.

Yeah.....uhhhhh...NOPE! Hung a u-turn and headed home.

Good news is, I now know the Banjoland Route to Rockland and can impress the crew that intends to go down in September for the Antique Motorcycle show.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
There's this new thing called google maps or bing maps or mapquest. Have you tried it?

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
There's this new thing called google maps or bing maps or mapquest. Have you tried it?

Not sure what your point is? I knew where I was going, just missed the turn because I didn't see the sign until I'd gone by it.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
The point was that the online maps are available compared to a book of maps.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I use Google/Bing maps too, just sometimes I like being able to see the whole area in one shot rather than zooming and panning and losing track of where I am.

When you're hitting the cow tracks, you have to zoom WAY in to see them, if they're even shown.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Riding and watching a gps is not easy. I write my directions down before leaving and try to memorize 623 then right on 617 then left on Dunns Chapel etc. I keep the paper in the tank bag for when I forget. It's a mental challenge and I like to imagine this helps my aging brain.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]"I started noticing cars parked along the road and in the fields to either side. Then I saw cars and people lined up all the way out the 1/2 mile entrance road and into traffic"

I thought this was the point.

Fan of Sig, Colt, S&W, Beretta, Browning, etc, etc.

Posts: 168 | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Riding and watching a gps is not easy. I write my directions down before leaving and try to memorize 623 then right on 617 then left on Dunns Chapel etc. I keep the paper in the tank bag
Back when my wife and I did a lot of riding, I used to print directions using a very large font so they would be easily readable, and wife and I would each stick a copy in the transparent map window of our tank bags.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

I do the same thing. Suss out a cow-trail route from the DeLorme and then make a quick and dirty sketch with the pertinent turns and road names.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow dude. That's an unnecessarily sarcastic response to a topic that didn't really warrant one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

Wow dude. That's an unnecessarily sarcastic response to a topic that didn't really warrant one.

Is sarcasm ever really necessary?