SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    EPA continues to run amock - E15 Fuel Levels - Hazard to Boaters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EPA continues to run amock - E15 Fuel Levels - Hazard to Boaters Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Bad for motorcycles as well.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Ethanol and water don't mix. Of course all the geniuses at the EPA know this.

Ethanol is hygroscopic; it attracts water, to the point that it will pull it out of the air. Ethanol and gasoline will mix, but ethanol, gasoline and water will not; the ethanol-water mixture will come out of solution and settle on the bottom of your tank. The more common side effect of this is; the fuel pump will draw the water from the bottom of the tank into the engine, where it will kill it, and could require a costly dry-out process.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
<<< See CUT!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Ethanol and water don't mix. Of course all the geniuses at the EPA know this.

Ethanol is hygroscopic; it attracts water, to the point that it will pull it out of the air. Ethanol and gasoline will mix, but ethanol, gasoline and water will not; the ethanol-water mixture will come out of solution and settle on the bottom of your tank. The more common side effect of this is; the fuel pump will draw the water from the bottom of the tank into the engine, where it will kill it, and could require a costly dry-out process.

I found this out the hard way when Ethanol was first put into marine gas. I was stuck in Norfolk for a month waiting on Western Branch to do a major on a 12v71 on a 75' Hatteras MY I was running to Chicago from Fort Lauderdale in 2008.

So the mate and I put the 14' Novourania tender in the water with a 60hp Honda 4 stroke outboard. We ran it around for 3 days with no issues. Went to fuel it up at the fuel dock and the pump said contains 10% ethanol on a big sticker. Topped it out with gas, ran 3/4 of a mile at 4400 rpms, and the motor just lost rpms and died. Muscled the spin on metal secondary fuel filter off and it was fuel of this yellow brown goo, dumped it out, put it back on and squeezed the primer bulb till it was hard, finally got it restarted and got back on plane and another 3/4 of a mile, same thing, lost rpm's and died.....dumped out more brown goo from the fuel filter, primed the primer bulb and this time it was fine. Changed the fuel filter and ran it around all over the place for a whole month and no more issues on the E10 gas.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:...Ummmm I live down the street from you.

I own a Yacht management business. ....

Crazy! We should meet up for lunch sometime, talk boats and guns!

shoot me an email jadair(at)sflalaw.com

email sent

Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
E15 is bad even for vehicles rated for it. They'll hold out a bit longer but their fuel systems will die eventually.
The big picture here is as mentioned; EPA is a rogue agency with no regard for the public. President Trump should make good on election promises to rein them in.
And I know it's below a sitting president's position, but he should be given a 2004 vehicle with it's fuel system destroyed by ethanol and fix it. His views on ethanol might change.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:
E15 is bad even for vehicles rated for it. They'll hold out a bit longer but their fuel systems will die eventually.
The big picture here is as mentioned; EPA is a rogue agency with no regard for the public. President Trump should make good on election promises to rein them in.
And I know it's below a sitting president's position, but he should be given a 2004 vehicle with it's fuel system destroyed by ethanol and fix it. His views on ethanol might change.

Slowly but surely, he will. You can't upset the entire apple cart all at once......but little by little you can!!!