SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Throwing out stuff you later need!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Throwing out stuff you later need! Login/Join 
posted
I have bins of "parts". Stuff I think I may "need" someday. But every so often I clean them out, avoiding becoming a hoarder.

But it never fails, a week or two later I start a project and realize I just thew out something that would be PERFECT for this job! Happened to me Sunday. Ugggg.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It’s the eternal struggle. My dad was bad about keeping a ton of “might be useful” stuff. On the flip side, it seemed like whenever someone needed something he responded with, “I’ve got one of those, hold on a minute.”

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I freaking hate that. Save it forever, finally give it up, then boom...

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
It’s the eternal struggle. My dad was bad about keeping a ton of “might be useful” stuff. On the flip side, it seemed like whenever someone needed something he responded with, “I’ve got one of those, hold on a minute.”

My dad’s response is “in what color?” Wink

"Trust, but verify."

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

My dad’s response is “in what color?” Wink

That would be me. Not only that, but 90% of the time, I can tell you exactly where it is. Garage. Mechanical bay. Black parts cabinet next to the drill press. Bottom drawer, front, right hand side.

Did that to a kid that needed a particular type of fastener for his 4 wheeler. He looked at me like I was from Mars or something, went to where I told him it was, found it and just walked away shaking his head.

Getting back to the OP, about the only thing I go through with an eye towards throwing stuff away is my scrap steel pile. In the process of building something, virtually ALL the cutoffs get thrown in a bucket. Once a year or so, I'll dump it all out on the floor and sort out the stuff that's not worth saving. IE, a 1 inch long piece of 1" square tubing isn't worth holding onto when I have a 10 foot stick of it elsewhere. I might (might, I say...) come up with a 5 gallon bucket full once a year.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15205 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is ALWAYS the case for me. I sit on a part for 2 years, then decide to toss it and the very next week, need it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My problem is I will toss old stuff I think I may never need, then a year or so later need it, forget I tossed it, and spend a bunch of wasted time looking for where I might have stashed it.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gotten rid of most of that stuff. I finally figured theist of storage often exceeds the cost of storage. I'm down to a footlocker full, and I won't look back.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
It's usually quicker to get in the car and drive 2hrs to the store to buy amother one. Even though I know I have 10 somewhere in the garage. Eek

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my goals when I was married some 30+ years ago was to have a workshop. When I or the wife wanted something I wanted to be able to go into the shop and build it. No trips to Lowe’s or the hardware store, etc.
Well, I’m finally there. Have done this several times this past year and it is pretty nice.
Have a friend that is a Blacksmith. We decided he needed a power drop hammer. Used a variable speed, gear reduced motor and assorted steel. Also a 1100 pound block of concrete for a solid, below ground base. Hammer head is solid steel, about 4” dia. and 10” long. Anvil will be the same stock but longer. We have yet to cough up anything for the project. Works well. It would mash a finger dime thin on the first stroke.
So yes, it is really nice to have a stash of stuff as a resource. And the tools and skills as needed. Two workshops is better than one by the way.

Problem is I am beginning to forget what I have...

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a bumper jack I saved from the 70's to pull some old fence posts out of the ground.I started to throw it away multiple times ,but that little voice told me I might need it one day.

Posts: 12653 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a "problem" with not throwing away useful things. If I need it once, and I have some left over, I find a place to stow it.

now, when I need something, I remember that I have one somewhere, just got to find it!

usually it is not exactly what I need, or I may need 2 and all I have is 1. I am finding that I waste more time looking, for something I don't have, than if I just went to the store to start with.

I am finally taking a second look at left overs. do I really need to keep the odd bolt, nut or bracket? I just toss it and walk away, no regrets.

tymll

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
If I even think I might need something, I keep it. I have never regretted doing that either.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
Just recently pitched a ton of stuff and of course threw away a power adapter I knew I would never need again...

Just spent $12 on a new one last week

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
My wife is the type that doesn't want to throw anything out. I am trying to break her of that and when she says "what if we need it some day" I tell her "just buy another one". Of course that does not mean throw everything out but so far it is pretty unusual that I need something I tossed. Luckily I have Home Depot within 5 minutes from here and a 24 HR Meijer about the same drive. I am pretty organized and usually know exactly where to go to find something of mine unless wife or daughter "borrowed" it and did not put back. Both of them can never find much of anything. Scotch tape always seems to be missing LOL.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
swing by , when you are up this way ,
I have about 300 sq feet of stuff you are going to be needing ....eventually .

I have not touched any of it for 14 months , so
its gotta go

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54598 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
My wife is the type that doesn't want to throw anything out. I am trying to break her of that and when she says "what if we need it some day" I tell her "just buy another one".

Same here.
I think my wife is trying to get on an episode of "Hoarders". Frown

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I usually realize I needed that part just as the garbage truck is pulling away.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
My wife is the type that doesn't want to throw anything out. I am trying to break her of that and when she says "what if we need it some day" I tell her "just buy another one".

Same here.
I think my wife is trying to get on an episode of "Hoarders". Frown

I feel your pain.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
This seemed apropos: ***not mine, stolen from the internet:

Evil villain: I’ll destroy the world unless you give me 32,000 used gift bags you kept in the closet just in case! Muahaha!

Everyone: Oh no we’re doomed!

My wife: Here, hold my wine.

"Trust, but verify."