SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Group texts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Group texts Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Additionally, IPhone users and ‘silence’ notifications on group texts. You still see the number on the text icon but don’t get alerts.

Very useful as well. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
If you can’t group text, you can’t work for us.

Plain and simple - it’s the fastest, easiest, most reliable method of communicating with multiple people in multiple locations working different hours.

We also don’t tolerate bullshit / tomfoolery on the work text chain - about the only social thing allowed is getting together for meals (not mandatory).

Chatty-Kathys are directed to individual text for that kind of thing, otherwise like the non-group tester, they are history.

Great that it works for your group. I do not find texting to be reliable enough yet to depend on it for business.

Too many instances of lost or delayed texts as well as dealing with multiple carriers and devices.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah in 5 years the only time we have an issues is when people are flying, but they get it when they land.

That and morons who are unable to text, group text, or complete short 2 minute phone or face to face communications in less than a half hour. The kind that need to sit down and have it explained 5 times what needs to be done (things they are supposed to be experts and have done several hundred times on their own).

We simply don't have time for that kind of drama.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Great that it works for your group. I do not find texting to be reliable enough yet to depend on it for business.

Too many instances of lost or delayed texts as well as dealing with multiple carriers and devices.

Because messaging uses primarily UDP, which is a "best effort" delivery method. Sometimes packets get waylaid, and there is no further effort at delivery. In general, it works pretty well over stable networks. Email on the other hand uses TCP, which is a "guaranteed delivery" protocol, meaning it checks for lost packets and resends if necessary. Better for business communication, I agree.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post