SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Group texts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Group texts Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Just don't do it.

I am really tired of reading four hours worth of conversations between people that I don't even know.

Please make it stop!

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Mute conversation. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Try being the guy on an all female team...I want to throw the damn thing out the window

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Similar to CC emails.

I hate that chicken shit electronic finger pointing tattle tale bullshit.

If you have a problem with someone, reach down, grab your balls, feel them, feel the power, then be a man and face the person you have a beef with and work it out.

Or hide in your safe space and hug yourself and rock while you hum.

I have loathed the CC feature since the first time I saw it used.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Try being the guy on an all female team...I want to throw the damn thing out the window

I'm there.
I have announced, expressed, and used expletives to make sure I am fully excluded from any group text. Showers, parties, and useless gift giving occasions have no relevance to work performance.

I don't care if I'm not at work. Tell me when I get back.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I’m with you there, those group texts seem much more prevalent when I am off on a given day or on vacation. I do love the mute function.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The limit is three people. as soon as you add a fourth, the potential for a long conversation that involves a subset of the members but not all of the members becomes greater. If there are three people involved a conversation between any two can happen 1:1.

The worst part is the lack of a standard that allows Android users to leave a group (apple users can do this).

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hear you. It's me and 11 women. It gets out of hand. Sometimes I'm happy they include me, most of the time I'd rather they not.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Similar to CC emails.

I think "copy to all" is the worst, in email. When I used to set up the Windows images we used for imaging our desktops, I always configured Outlook so the "copy to all" icon was removed from the toolbar. They could still go to the menu and find it, but most just do it automatically. When it's not on the toolbar, it happens a lot less. It is a corporate group email disease, and the email equivalent of group texting.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your male privilege is showing. Time foe diversity training. HaHa

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I 110% agree. I hate group texts. Mostly my sister does it. Then it goes on and on. I NEVER ANSWER them.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is very useful for certain business communications when the parties are separated. I had one today between a buyer and a seller I was representing, each of us in different cities. It was restricted to the single transaction only. Other than that, I don't use it.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Bless my sister.
She lives in VA. She and her husband left a month a go for a cross country trip which will include a three to four week stay in Alaska.
She included me in a group message with about twenty of her best friends who I have never met.
I lasted until she got into Canada when I sent her a message to delete me.
I couldn’t stand the twenty variations of “ooh”, “ahh”, “beautiful”, etc. that accompanied every photo post.
She was somewhat offended that I didn’t want to follow her trip. I don’t think I’m getting the invite to see her drop box folder when she gets back to VA.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll use it at work only and then it's just me, my 1st shift counterpart and my brother. The text(s) are direct and usually a response isn't given. More of a heads up to potential issues.
Personally with my friends and family? Nope.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I find group messaging useful instead of going back and forth trying to coordinate a bunch of people, as long as everyone sticks to the topic. I hate it when someone will randomly ask another person in the group a question like, "Did you ever figure out what was going on with your mother-in-law's leg?" Then it goes on forever, and someone who comes into the conversation late is completely lost and has to ask what the point of the message was originally instead of sorting through fifty lines of whatever else. Dang it, I'm only trying to figure out which dates work for all of you for a dinner. If you have other stuff to talk about take it to private message.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the same boat. They can go on for days!
quote:

Posts: 241 | Registered: October 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Group texts were created by the devil.

People who put me in a group text get an angry call from me very quickly. I can neither confirm or deny if any threats are made against them.....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
Group texts were created by the devil.

People who put me in a group text get an angry call from me very quickly. I can neither confirm or deny if any threats are made against them.....

I have some short custom responses for both my phone and messages app. Some are pretty blunt. I don't filter my emails, but am pretty handy with the delete key.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I started by politely asking my wife, her daughters, & my sisters (recognize a theme here?) to kindly leave me out of their group discussions, pictures, & plans. Just let me know with one text, from one person, how it affects me.

After having my request go unheeded, I addressed the matter somewhat more pointedly.

After having my request go unheeded again, I told them in no uncertain terms to leave me the hell out of this jibber jabber.

After having my request go unheeded AGAIN it took a threat of "a more serious nature" to get my relief.

I have work to do. I don't live in my phone. Get a clue girls.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you can’t group text, you can’t work for us.

Plain and simple - it’s the fastest, easiest, most reliable method of communicating with multiple people in multiple locations working different hours.

We also don’t tolerate bullshit / tomfoolery on the work text chain - about the only social thing allowed is getting together for meals (not mandatory).

Chatty-Kathys are directed to individual text for that kind of thing, otherwise like the non-group tester, they are history.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post