SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wife had a cow...don't know why.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife had a cow...don't know why. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Some sort of derelict ultralight. Parasailer I think, no provision for a wing.

Belongs to Dale the Builder, he wants me to get the engine running with an eye toward building an airboat.

I giggled like a 10 year old girl at a pajama party while I was towing it up to the garage. Wife looking out the kitchen window thinking I'd lost my mind and was taking up flying...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start searching Gyrocopter or Autogyro to ease her mind.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Run the specs on the motor, though before he puts too much effort into the airboat concept.

From what I understand from a bit of research on airboats, horsepower and torque are your friends. Funny thing, that. When aren't horsepower and torque your friends?

I'd be worried that the set up shown wouldn't have enough thrust for airboating.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Tell the wife it's half of her birthday present.

And the other half is the big life insurance policy you just took out on her.

Totally unrelated, naturally. It's perfectly safe, dear.

Posts: 32424 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Very cool. Run the specs on the motor, though before he puts too much effort into the airboat concept.

From what I understand from a bit of research on airboats, horsepower and torque are your friends. Funny thing, that. When isn't horsepower and torque your friends?

I'd be worried that the set up shown wouldn't have enough thrust for airboating.

I'm just the mek-a-nik here. Don't know doodly about boats. His stated plan doesn't make sense to me He's thinking small sailboat hull...Gonna be a nightmare from a stability standpoint.

T'was me, I'd be looking for a small aluminum jon boat.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Funny thing, that. When isn't horsepower and torque your friends?...

Probably when weight isn't either.

Razz

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If I were your neighbor, I’d hang out with you everyday. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
If I were your neighbor, I’d hang out with you everyday. Smile

Life is more fun when you're as easily amused as I am. If you're ever in the neighborhood... Big Grin

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Too funny Big Grin !

Someone in the area has a couple 3 wheeled paraglider thingys and I always thought that looked like it would be fun.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get some riding breeches and boots, a leather jacket and long silk scarf, and some goggles. Increase your swagger. Let your wife have TWO cows.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Can you swim? I read somewhere that only 47% of the adults can.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have told her that its to dry off the wet chickens

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Can you swim? I read somewhere that only 47% of the adults can.

Reasonably well, but I don't do boats and have no intention of starting now!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

From what I understand from a bit of research on airboats, horsepower and torque are your friends. Funny thing, that. When isn't horsepower and torque your friends?

I'm just the mek-a-nik here. Don't know doodly about boats. His stated plan doesn't make sense to me He's thinking small sailboat hull...Gonna be a nightmare from a stability standpoint.

T'was me, I'd be looking for a small aluminum jon boat.

He's probably going to want a wide, flat bottomed hull that's strong and light. A wide jon boat. or a Carolina skiff. Would be really easy to make your own cold molded hull out of plywood (or synthetic coring for even lighter weight) and west system epoxy and fiberglass mat over it. I don't think the motor will have enough power, to push either over brush and marsh......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last time I was in an airboat, it was powered by a 650 HP V8. When the dude opened it up, I thought I was being rocketed to hell.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
That isn't enough engine for a reasonable airboat.

My BIL's has an old Lycoming that he puts airplane fuel in. This thing will glide across most anything the Everglades has to offer. Wear muffs

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
If he needs propulsion across a Maine lake he should watch James Bond movies featuring boats with long shaft prop motors and try that approach. Perfect engine for basic putt putt at 30 to 60 mph.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's thinking small sailboat hull...Gonna be a nightmare from a stability standpoint.

You should sell tickets to this event.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
He's thinking small sailboat hull...Gonna be a nightmare from a stability standpoint.

You should sell tickets to this event.

I'm thinking YouTube... Razz Big Grin