SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Flemming's Steak House
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flemming's Steak House Login/Join 
posted
My son was married, last Saturday Afternoon, in La Jolla, CA. We were thrilled. Because of the COVID quarantine the wedding party consisted of nine people. I booked a 6:30 reservation at Flemmings and we arrived on time and were seated promptly.

The salad was delicious. By 8:00 we had still not received the entre'. We were told the chef doesn't begin to cook the steaks until after the salad had been taken from the table.

When the steaks finally arrived, two of them were cold. The plate was cold, the steaks were room temperature.

My daughter-in-law, seeing I was ready to do the "Ninja dance of death" went to the manager and explained that several of our guests had a 2 1/2 hour drive and this was her wedding celebration and could they please do something?

The the manager's credit he comped the meal. She returned to the table and we waited for dessert. By 9:15 I asked if we'd waited long enough? Everyone agreed. As we left the manager rushed up and asked, "Where are you going, the dessert is just about out of the oven?!".

I expected dinner would be $1,000. The fact we ate for free isn't even relevant to the day, starting with such promise ended on such a sour note.

***Update***

The Managing Partner for Flemings just called me to apologize. "Two key people called in sick", "This hasn't ever happened before", "My staff feels sick about ruining your special day", "Please come back, give us a chance to prove we can be better, no charge", "We're really sorry".

I haven't ever had someone be so abjectly sorrowful and apologetic. I explained that it's a 2 1/2 hour drive for us to come to the restaurant and for the Bride's Dad, it's a flight from Idaho. He asked me to save his number and call him if we were ever in the area and we would be welcome in his restaurant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wasabibill,

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Wow. From bad to worse.

The only silver lining is you were all together, and hopefully at a future date, think back and have a great laugh.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My wife took me last year to Fleming's for my b-day, nice place. I ordered the Tomahawk Rib eye, I think it was about 40 oz and $90 or so, that thing was tough like a shitty Sirloin. Service was slow as well

It takes something special to get me near or in Atlanta, highly disappointed and will never go back

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My wife doesn't allow me to go to steak houses or buy steaks anymore. She just asks me if I really want the disappointment or not, and it usually works. When you know how to cook a steak properly, one out just isn't worth it. I have a gift card in my wallet for Morton's which may never get used.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your special day getting messed up.

I hate being obtuse and being the one to say, "I don't spend my money on XYZ because I can do it better at home," like I'm somehow better at something than someone who does it for a living...

BUT, honestly, Skins is right on the money. We never opt for to dine at a steak house because traditional steakhouse fare is easily perfected at home. There are dozens of ways to achieve a restaurant quality steak with repeatable consistency, and you can spend as much or as little on the quality of the steak as your budget allows. Stuff like mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach are all easy-peasy.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
My wife doesn't allow me to go to steak houses or buy steaks anymore. She just asks me if I really want the disappointment or not, and it usually works. When you know how to cook a steak properly, one out just isn't worth it. I have a gift card in my wallet for Morton's which may never get used.

This is why we don't bother with the time/expense at work.
Every year for Christmas, my boss just buys 3 good steaks & we cook them in the warehouse at work & do a department lunch there.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you know how to cook a steak properly, one out just isn't worth it.

I'm the same way, I'd rather go to Costco and pickup some Rib Eyes and throw them on the BBQ.

The only "steak" I will order at a restaurant is Prime Rib, only because I can't really do that at home. But the neighbor and I have already planned one for New Years.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I had a neighbor who thinks Texas Roadhouse is a steakhouse. When she asked me why I said if I really had to explain, she would get it.

One benefit of living in El Paso, one of a very few, is that there’s a really good steak house near here. Definitely worth the 45 minute drive and $35/plate. We don’t go often but they get it right every time. That and the pineapple coleslaw is amazing.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
One benefit of living in El Paso, one of a very few, is that there’s a really good steak house near here. Definitely worth the 45 minute drive and $35/plate. We don’t go often but they get it right every time. That and the pineapple coleslaw is amazing.

What the heck was the name of that place? I'm have a brain lock.

Brain just unlocked: was it Cattleman's Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Flemmings had to comp our last meal there as well, they couldnt get my wife's steak done right.

I know getting a filet mignon medium well is not what a chef wants to see, but you are a steak house, you should be able to pull it off. She asked for slight pink, they couldnt get it right, we even said butterfly it if you have to we dont care.

The chain Stoney River is not far from us, and I have never had a bad steak there.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
FWIW, we've never had a bad experience at Fleming's in Las Vegas (Town Square location). Quite the opposite, they're consistently excellent. We normally go every 2-3 months.

Side note: If you're in the restaurant business in Las Vegas (serving locals) you'd better be on your game because the competition will eat your lunch (no pun intended) and you'll be gone.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Our flemings in Knoxville TN has always been great. I can see the issue if two folks called in and couldn't be replaced.

Re the Tomahawk steak - no excuse for an expensive place like flemings to serve tough meat... Even a bad cut of steak can be made tender if you try hard enough.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Fleming's in Memphis is one of the few nicer restaurants that will offer outdoor seating, so during the height of the COVID scare, when my wife (who has asthma, hypertension, and MS) wouldn't go out to eat at an indoor restaurant, we went there for dinner. Seated at 6:45pm, ordered by 7, salad at 7:30, steaks at 8:15, dessert at 9. We were nice and did leave a tip, but come on, the bill was over $150 for 2 of us, and the wait was ridiculous. We had a gift card for $100, so it wasn't so bad, but we won't be back if we are paying our own money for that slow of service.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The restaurant business is a very tough business.
I have a ton of respect for those who try to maintain a good establishment.
Still, not an excuse for poor performance (food + service).
I think many really try to do good for the customers.
Sometimes things slip through the cracks.
The management needs to know when something is reasonably not up to par.
Our favorite high end restaurant is Eddie V's (Darden Company).
It is expensive, I expect the best.
I almost always get it.
I have done reviews on poor/slow service and the GM would read and send me $100.
Never had much reason to complain and why we go back.
Still let management know.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you know how to cook a steak properly, one out just isn't worth it.

There is a LOT of truth in that!

I know I have made steaks as good as any I have had in a Steakhouse.
Still, I do go once in a while just to check.
It's nice to have a nice outing once in a while with a nice steak I didn't have to cook.

Maybe it is why my favorite restaurant I get Seafood.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
It's nice to have a nice outing once in a while with a nice steak I didn't have to cook.

Yep.

I feel the same way about BBQ. I can smoke BBQ that's as good or better than what you get from most restaurants, but sometimes it's nice not to have to deal with the 6-16 hours of prepping/smoking/cleaning up.

Posts: 32422 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The restaurant business is a very tough business......

Probably was until this Covid 19 crap became major headline news.

Now, most restaurants still alive do take out/delivery service only. They fuck up the order and the customer has to deal with it. Plus, many joints operate with fewer staff.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
The restaurant business is a very tough business......

Probably was until this Covid 19 crap became major headline news.

Now, most restaurants still alive do take out/delivery service only. They fuck up the order and the customer has to deal with it. Plus, many joints operate with fewer staff.

The Wu Flu has only made it worse.
Still lots of hard working people who must under Government Intervention try to survive now under even harsher conditions.
Especially while take it is not their core business and they must maintain with less staff and an uncertainty of business.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Seated at 6:45pm, ordered by 7, salad at 7:30, steaks at 8:15, dessert at 9.

To me, that sounds like perfect timing. When I am out to a nice meal with my wife, or a group, I do not want to be rushed. I want to take my time and savor the meal. If I order at 7pm and desert is served by 8pm, then I am not happy.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Seated at 6:45pm, ordered by 7, salad at 7:30, steaks at 8:15, dessert at 9.

To me, that sounds like perfect timing. When I am out to a nice meal with my wife, or a group, I do not want to be rushed. I want to take my time and savor the meal. If I order at 7pm and desert is served by 8pm, then I am not happy.

Interesting how different folks prefer different dining experience. Thirty minutes for the salad to come out? And, one hour and fifteen minutes between order time and main course time is never going to cut it in this family. I agree with slabsides45 that the wait was ridiculous.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post