SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Flemming's Steak House
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flemming's Steak House Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
OP: Sorry that your special event was ruined.

I live within walking distance of that Fleming’s: 8970 University Center Ln, San Diego, CA 92122.

IMO it’s the best steakhouse in San Diego. Somewhat better than Donovan’s, and much better than Ruth’s Chris (lousy side dish offerings, whereas the Fleming’s potatoes are to die for). But I’ve not been at Fleming’s since the COVID struck.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Interesting how different folks prefer different dining experience.

Yes it is. There is one restaurant we frequent 2-3 times per year, Bull & Bear, a super high end steakhouse. We usually make our reservation at 6pm, and we are usually walking out of there at 10pm.

Our server opens the wine and gets us drinks. It might be 30 minutes before he even takes the food order. We will have a cheese course, a starter course, a soup course, main course and dessert. It's not uncommon for 30 minutes to go by between courses. But we talk, relax, and catch up with friends. We all call it a four hour vacation because we forget about everything else while we are there.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Next time you are all getting together go to Gulliver's for Prime Rib just outside John Wayne airport. Always lovely service.

If doing a high falutin meal in San Diego next time try Mr. A's.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Seated at 6:45pm, ordered by 7, salad at 7:30, steaks at 8:15, dessert at 9.

To me, that sounds like perfect timing. When I am out to a nice meal with my wife, or a group, I do not want to be rushed. I want to take my time and savor the meal. If I order at 7pm and desert is served by 8pm, then I am not happy.

Interesting how different folks prefer different dining experience. Thirty minutes for the salad to come out? And, one hour and fifteen minutes between order time and main course time is never going to cut it in this family. I agree with slabsides45 that the wait was ridiculous.

Well, I also think that the service spacing is fine for a high end restaurant.
When you spend $250 or more for meal you want it to last and enjoy the experience.
Otherwise just go through the drive-through window at McDonalds.
IF you are in a hurry then inform your waiter of your timetable and IF THEN they don't accommodate then THAT could be a problem.
Sorry for the nested quote I left for context. Frown

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
<snip>
If doing a high falutin meal in San Diego next time try Mr. A's.

I’ve not been to Mr. A’s yet, but it’s on my to-try list. Great view of downtown San Diego, and close view of the glide path of planes landing at Lindbergh Field.

www.asrestaurant.com/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
When you know how to cook a steak properly, one out just isn't worth it.

There is a LOT of truth in that!

I know I have made steaks as good as any I have had in a Steakhouse.
Still, I do go once in a while just to check.
It's nice to have a nice outing once in a while with a nice steak I didn't have to cook.

Maybe it is why my favorite restaurant I get Seafood.

Last time I ordered a steak from a restaurant (excellent restaurant, but not super high end, steak was still $39), I got a 'told you so' from my wife. Ordered med-rare got black and blue, instead of making me a new one they just took the original one and put it back on the grill. Ended up cooked about right, but was charred to hell (and I love a good sear). It was inedible. I didn't give them a third chance, I just went without an entree. I hate being the last one eating when other people are having coffee and chatting.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post