SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    ARMIDILLOS-“ Satan on the half Shell”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ARMIDILLOS-“ Satan on the half Shell” Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
After a couple of weeks of reading every thing I can find about how to get rid of these shelled Bastards, I think I have made some headway. Two down, (trapped and put down), traps are re-set and let’s see what happens. They have destroyed our entire area under and around our front stoop at the front door! 6” diameter deep holes, 50-60 holes!!!!!!!!! In one night we counted 23 new holes!! Bastards!!
Fat Bastards, around 13-15 lbs. You cannot bait these traps you have to actually find their route of travel and they just walk into the damn trap!! Almost blind and deaf, but tenacious. Bastards! I got a little something for them............. I hope I got em all Frown

https://imgur.com/a/uegIFcD

One of them and my eradication tool Wink

Bastards

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big boy!

What do you have living in your yard that they are eating? Eliminate their food supply And they would move on.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup, Those critters are all over the place.

Don't think I'd use a 22 or a 9 on one. Those rounds have been known to ricochet off and go who knows where. 50AE gets it done with one round, although it may be a bit much.

Hogs and armadillos are what thermal scopes are all about.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Damn. Around here they seem to mostly be used as road poppers.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
There’s a running joke in Florida:

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To prove to the armadillo that it could be done.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

There are tons of armadillo recipes available via a Google search. Never have had one myself.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're actually not that hard to catch by hand. Run a bit faster, stand in front of them. They run into your leg, bounce off, curl up in a ball. pick them up (avoid the claws), stick them in a box or sack, take them somewhere else. Done.

If they're burrowing along the edges of cement, sink boards along there or pour a retaining wall or fence below ground. They don't tend to go far; they're not moles. They burrow straight in, stay there, then back out.

The secret to dealing with them is getting to know them, and how they live. If you have a problem with termites or ants, that may be the primary thing that's attracting them; it's a main meal for armadillos. Both ants and termites live under protective covers such ass cement slabs; treat the food source and the armadillos go elsewhere. They find the ants by sense of smell.

Plug the holes they leave. Drop a mothball in each one. Fencing around your property should extend at least 12" or more beneath ground.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Don't think I'd use a 22 or a 9 on one. Those rounds have been known to ricochet off and go who knows where. 50AE gets it done with one round, although it may be a bit much.

Probably a .45 ACP would do the trick with lesser risk of ricochet?

They run in our yard all the time as we back up to the woods. Pit bull goes out back and go crazy trying to catch one. I'll let her try to catch one as I don't think either one can really hurt the other. Dog won't chase into the woods. If it's a raccoon, nope, not going to let her chase those.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Damn. Around here they seem to mostly be used as road poppers.

They've made it here. We see them on the roads, the casualties. Amazed they made it this far north without being able to cross a road and all.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Yup, Those critters are all over the place.

Hogs and armadillos are what thermal scopes are all about.

Have you personally seen a 9mm or .22 bounce off an armadillo? I killed several with a .22 when we lived outside of Kerrville and never once had that happen to me. Our Rottweiler was capable of biting through their shell, too.

They can really screw up a yard.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
If you have a problem with termites or ants, that may be the primary thing that's attracting them; it's a main meal for armadillos. Both ants and termites live under protective covers such ass cement slabs; treat the food source and the armadillos go elsewhere. They find the ants by sense of smell.

Your post made me think...10-12 years ago I saw a few dead armadillos dead on I-75 on my daily commute between Chattanooga and Cleveland...my first thought was that they fell from under a vehicle/tractor trailer that smashed them down the road in GA and they just hung up until they fell out...then a few years ago I started seeing a few live ones locally around southeast and middle TN...at about the same time frame I saw an increase in fire ant mounds in various and sundry places that seemed to coincide with the 'dillos arival in the same areas....hummmmmm, could there be a connection?

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason armadillos are killed on the road has to do with an instinctive response. When they sense danger from an incoming vehicle they jump into the air which causes them to be struck by the undercarriage of the vehicle. If they did not jump they would be ok if not hit by a tire.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
then a few years ago I started seeing a few live ones locally around southeast and middle TN...at about the same time frame I saw an increase in fire ant mounds in various and sundry places that seemed to coincide with the 'dillos arival in the same areas....hummmmmm, could there be a connection?

Yes. Yes there could.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The reason armadillos are killed on the road has to do with an instinctive response. When they sense danger from an incoming vehicle they jump into the air which causes them to be struck by the undercarriage of the vehicle. If they did not jump they would be ok if not hit by a tire.

Interesting.

I've never seen an Armadillo do that. When I lived outside Tulsa, I used to have fun on occasion, catching Armadillos. I'd do as described above, chase them, jump over them, and let them run into my leg. They'd bounce off, curl up, and I could pick them up. Fascinating critters, and a lot of fun. The dog loved getting in on the chase.

I've never seen one jump, though. I've seen them burrow quickly, and have waited alongside the burrow until they back out. Surprised, they went back in or took off another direction, and often as not if I sat there and did nothing, they did nothing, either.

posted Hide Post
The Yooper version of an Armadillo is called a Porcupine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The Yooper version of an Armadillo is called a Porcupine.

Probably a poor choice to chase and pick up, based on past experience.

posted Hide Post
Must be related to the damn woodchuck that put in an addition under my brick pavers. Mad
He has been eliminated, even the wife didn't mind after she saw he ate all her bean plants and lettuce from her deck.
And yes, they do dot the highways and byways around here. Hope you got em all Sybo.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I read somewhere armadillos carry some kind of disease, anthrax, salmonella or rabies forget which.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I thought I read somewhere armadillos carry some kind of disease, anthrax, salmonella or rabies forget which.

Armadillos carry leprosy.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
As stated the best defense is to get rid of the food source, they have zoned in on that area because it's rich with food for them..

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The reason armadillos are killed on the road has to do with an instinctive response.

I most often saw them as roadkill (when I lived in TX). Reminds me of a humorous definition of a possum: "Small furry animal often born dead on roadsides".

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post