SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I don't care what anybody says, that's COLD!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't care what anybody says, that's COLD! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I like the cold. I just don't like the wind AND the cold.

It really wasn't that cold today in Northern New England - it's just that we have enjoyed relatively mild temps and weather this winter so single digits came as a bit of a system shock.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Today temp showed 48*F / wind chill felt like 42*F / humidity at 83% / with north wind @ 14mph. Felt very chilly even as far south central Louisiana........................ But with Uncle Sam as the travel agent have slept outside on the ground in down filled sleeping bags inside each other at temps around -45*F and acutually saw -82*F(pure temp) w/chill factor of -127*F. NOW that was a cold night. Ft. Greely/Delta Junction, Alaska. But one summer did see +80*F for 2 days running and some people went swimming but I was not able to get past knee deep water before heading back to dry land. ......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
The difference is y'all Yankees have enough scar tissue from last year's frostbite that it doesn't hurt as much. If we liked snow I'd live in Maine! Big Grin

Us poor Southerners were subjected to some of your temps a couple weeks back. Got down to 1 degree one night with 10-15mph winds, and I was pretty sure it was the end of the world. May happen to y'all all the time, but in Memphis it ain't welcome.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:
Its nice we have, at least in some cases, options of where we live.

In all cases we have options about where we can live unless we're incarcerated or in the military.

A lot of people like to pretend they're stuck and can't move, but the reality is that they don't want to move but they can.

I've lived in 9 States, some of them 4 different times, some 3 different times, some 2 and some 1.

I live where I want to and so can anybody else who's honest with themselves.

This here^^^ I have lived in the heat & humidity all of my 75 years but now I'm moving west: We leave this week. I can't stand sweat running down my eyeballs anymore! At least in the Sierra, you expect it to be cold all winter. And the dry heat of the desert really is a thing: Kinda like a pizza oven. In the Florida panhandle, we were not ready for 28 degrees 3 days running. Found out my heat pump doesn't work no more. And hurricanes. Damn hurricanes!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I also have 2 brothers in Arizona and my parents retired to the Phoenix area. Never visited in the height of Summer (and don't intend to!) but reports from them have convinced me that "it's a dry heat" makes no difference. It's still freakin' HOT.

I'll dispute that. After 16 years in the Greater Phoenix area I find I don't even start sweating until it's over around 110 degrees and cold bothers me much more than heat in spite of the fact I was born and raised in some of the colder parts of the U.S.

Humidity over around 10% absolutely kills me, so dry heat is a thing.

You are sweating, it's just evaporating the moment the moisture hits atmo. I was stationed in ABQ, NM for a few years and they actually had a negative heat index where the air was so dry, it felt less hot than it actually was because the environment was evaporatively cooling your body by sucking the water right out of your flesh.

Know what else is a dry heat? A convection oven. But I don't want to live in one.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It was so cold the politicians had their hands in their own pockets.

It was so cold the young punks had their pants pulled up to their waist.

It was so cold the cows gave ice cream instead of milk.

Any of y'all care to add a few?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
Know what else is a dry heat? A convection oven. But I don't want to live in one.

Exactly. Razz Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen around -60 Fahrenheit in Fairbanks Alaska.

Now that's cold.

When I was 55, I visited Alaska, I had always dreamed of going there. Had this crazy notion years afterwards of wanting to move to Alaska.

Now at age 69, I hate the cold, forget any foolish notions about cold places.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
What a difference a few days make. A couple of weeks ago it was -27 without the windchill and now the sun's shining and it's in the high 40's. I like this weather!

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Same here...Mid-30's today but there's still that damned wind, so not real comfortable.

But then...March...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I took my IDPA SO class at Phoenix Rod & Gun Club, in August. Typical 115 heat for that time of year. I'll tell you, in that weather, sitting down on a black porta potty seat is a new experience. I don't think I've ever jumped up so fast.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

But then...March...

Yup. Waiting for the other shoe to drop..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week it was -17 here here Grayling MI. Next week to will be in the 50's. I really can't complain. We generally get two or three weeks where it will not get much above zero. This year we had about four days.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
It was so cold the politicians had their hands in their own pockets.

It was so cold the young punks had their pants pulled up to their waist.

It was so cold the cows gave ice cream instead of milk.

Any of y'all care to add a few?

It was so cold the flashers were showing pictures.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post