SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I don't care what anybody says, that's COLD!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't care what anybody says, that's COLD! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Born and raised in Michigan, lived in far Northern Japan and Iceland, been through a few Winters in my 70 years, but...

Today it's 6° and winds gusting to 50-ish MPH and I'm here to tell ya, that's COLD! Walked 100 yards from the house to the chicken coop and back and I think I got frostbite on my widdle face!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My sister moved back to Houston from the Brewer ME area back in October, she definitely doesn't miss the cold (as we have the coldest winter in 100 yrs here).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Ball shrinkin' cold!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
So it’s 36° out this morning with a high of 68°. I find this to be rather cold. Cold enough I will definitely be remote starting the Jeep so it’s warm, and the seat and steering wheel heaters are on and warm. It’s damn cold here.

Paul, I don’t think I could handle your weather. Maybe once for the experience, but to have to live in it, no thank you.

I guess the flip side is that you look at my spring/summer/fall and probably think the high temperatures are uninhabitable, hostile living conditions, similar to how I view the lows of your fall/winter/spring.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've seen around -60 Fahrenheit in Fairbanks Alaska.

Now that's cold.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
So it’s 36° out this morning with a high of 68°. I find this to be rather cold. Cold enough I will definitely be remote starting the Jeep so it’s warm, and the seat and steering wheel heaters are on and warm. It’s damn cold here.

Paul, I don’t think I could handle your weather. Maybe once for the experience, but to have to live in it, no thank you.

I guess the flip side is that you look at my spring/summer/fall and probably think the high temperatures are uninhabitable, hostile living conditions, similar to how I view the lows of your fall/winter/spring.

Thanks to Uncle Sam, I've had the opportunity to live in hot, humid places. The Philippines, Virginia, Florida and South Carolina to be precise.

I also have 2 brothers in Arizona and my parents retired to the Phoenix area. Never visited in the height of Summer (and don't intend to!) but reports from them have convinced me that "it's a dry heat" makes no difference. It's still freakin' HOT.

I long ago discovered that I handle cold MUCH better than I handle hot and humid. In fact, there's usually a couple weeks - up to a month - of weather here in Maine that's much hotter than I prefer.

I'd be a happy camper if I never saw the high side of 75° again.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spent 60 days TDY in Minot in Jan-Feb back in the late 80's. That is where I learned the meaning of really cold.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I met a family from Siberia once. Was having dinner with them and listening to some very interesting stories.

Learned about the 30/30/30 rule from them. (That's 30 below + 30mph wind = 30 sec. to freeze exposed skin.)

It was just a part of daily life in the winter months.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wind chill is a bitch.

I'll take wet and cold over, windy and cold any day.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I also have 2 brothers in Arizona and my parents retired to the Phoenix area. Never visited in the height of Summer (and don't intend to!) but reports from them have convinced me that "it's a dry heat" makes no difference. It's still freakin' HOT.

I'll dispute that. After 16 years in the Greater Phoenix area I find I don't even start sweating until it's over around 110 degrees and cold bothers me much more than heat in spite of the fact I was born and raised in some of the colder parts of the U.S.

Humidity over around 10% absolutely kills me, so dry heat is a thing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I can handle the cold better than the heat and humidity.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
My brother recently took a job that moved him to a small town near Augusta Maine.

He called today to report that it is COLD!

He never complained about the cold in Idaho...

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:

I long ago discovered that I handle cold MUCH better than I handle hot and humid.

As I've said to many of my Southern friends "I can always put on an extra jacket when it gets cold, but there are laws preventing me from taking off any more clothes when it's hot"

I'll stay up here Smile

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:

Aw, quit bein' such a puss. Temps way up around 80 are OK if the humidity isn't too high. Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Aw, quit bein' such a puss. Temps way up around 80 are OK if the humidity isn't too high. Big Grin

Well, 1 or 2 days, just to remind me how much I hate the heat... Razz

Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I'll dispute that. After 16 years in the Greater Phoenix area I find I don't even start sweating until it's over around 110 degrees and cold bothers me much more than heat in spite of the fact I was born and raised in some of the colder parts of the U.S.

Humidity over around 10% absolutely kills me, so dry heat is a thing.

Dry heat is definitely thing, other than hot steering wheels and building entrance handles, I can take anything up to 115 in Arizona, no problem. The humidity and heat is a killer. Cold is not so great either.

Its nice we have, at least in some cases, options of where we live.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I still stand by the fact that most folks will go about a month of cold before they start saying screw this. 1 maybe 2 days of 110 and most folks are longing for a cold snap. Smile. I am Eskimo boy at heart though and FAR prefer the cold down to about -2 to -6 or so. Past that you start getting into stupid cold or as a friend of mine would say. “Colder then an ice witch’s titty on the shady side of an iceberg”. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
My sister moved back to Houston from the Brewer ME area back in October, she definitely doesn't miss the cold (as we have the coldest winter in 100 yrs here).

I work in Brewer. Other than today(insanely cold/windy), the winter hasn't been that bad(by Maine standards).

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm buying what you're selling. Preach it brother!

The heat? For turtles and lizards, not us warm blooded folks!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:
Its nice we have, at least in some cases, options of where we live.

In all cases we have options about where we can live unless we're incarcerated or in the military.

A lot of people like to pretend they're stuck and can't move, but the reality is that they don't want to move but they can.

I've lived in 9 States, some of them 4 different times, some 3 different times, some 2 and some 1.

I live where I want to and so can anybody else who's honest with themselves.