SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I want a Dog
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a Dog Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Why are you so set on a female?

Wife is surrounded by 4 boys and wants a female.

But also we both prefer the temperaments and personality of females. All my goldens were boys and great dogs. But all my females just had a different connection seemed much closer and entune to me. The boys tended to be hardheaded and did what they wanted more often.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We’ve had males and females over the years. We find positives and negatives with both.

In our experience the females have been easier to train. The males seem to be lower maintenance but have been more hardheaded.

In our house Greta is bonded to my wife and Buddy is bonded to me. That said they love everyone and every thing...cats, kids, all people and other dogs. Only squirrels and bees do not make the cut. Big Grin

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
I lost my best friend Spark last May. He was a rescue from Animal Friends, a local shelter that does good work. He picked us when he was about 2. Spark was 12 and had a good life with us. I miss him everyday.

I recommend considering a rescue dog, there are some great ones out there.

I am struggling with wanting another dog. I am turning 65 in two months. Retirement is later this year and we want to travel and will likely relocate.
My logical thoughts say: this isn;t the time. My emotional: I want a dog.
My secondary emotional? I have had the privilege of living with 8 dogs over the course of my life, all good boys and girls. Each one took a little bit of my heart with them, I don't know if I can to that again.

I will be volunteering at Animal Friends to get my dog fix. We'll see if that is enough.

Get your dog, imho. My 2 best dogs ever were rescue mutts. That being said, I was childless both times, but they were awesome and even tempered.
Sadly, though, I ended up having to euth 1 another of my favorite rescues when my son was very young. She was unplaceable due to her unpredictable aggression, and also had seizures (separate issue that we spent years and $ verifying and trying to treat). *Note that when she was turned in, there wasn’t a word about either the seizures or the aggression. It was discovered over time, and when the person who turned her in was contacted to ask about these new pieces of information, then, and only then, was it acknowlegded that this was part of why she was dumped.*
I kept her w me, per the vet our rescue would be liable if she ever bit anyone in the home she was placed) and we understood her issues. Even when I had sitters she went after them unpredictably. Last straw was when she snarled at the baby crawling across the floor to her and I couldn’t get between them fast enough. No harm to the child but it became too much of a risk and stressor for me. It still saddens me to think about it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5318 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
We couldn’t even think about having another dog after losing our Coco 18 months ago, but we’re dog people and need a new best friend, so we’ll be picking up a little female chocolate lab in 4 weeks.
In the past, we’ve always wound up with young adult dogs, but this time, we’re going to try our hand with a puppy. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos by a trainer out of Kentucky by the name of Stonnie Dennis. I might just try his training style; it seems to work pretty well.
The way we are feeling, you’d think we were a couple of ten year olds. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
A Basset Hound WILL grace my residence once I retire. I've loved those dogs since I was a mere youngster...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
A Basset Hound WILL grace my residence once I retire. I've loved those dogs since I was a mere youngster......

Gotta love them "droops"!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just keep scanning Petfinder and you’ll have one in no time.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Another potential place to look would be places that train service dogs. Many do not make the cut for one reason or another. That's how we got Carl. He was 2 when we got him and it was only due to an injury that he was removed from the program. He's incredibly smart and has been a great addition to our house!

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
A Basset Hound WILL grace my residence once I retire. I've loved those dogs since I was a mere youngster...

On my Third, one when I was a young child, and two since marriage, current one is 10, we've thought about adding a 4th..... Great dogs, love being with people and other dogs, lets the kids climb on her, great family pets.

Our Current one as a pup...

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My 2 cats will be a little over 9 years old when I retire. How will they react to a Basset pup??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
We have not had a dog in the house since Sweet Pippy died a few years ago.

I miss her, I miss having a dog, but at 83 it's not going to happen. I do not have the energy to meet a dog's needs. With my hip, and my balance problems, I don't think I could even take a dog for a half-mile walk.

SIGforum member Paragon gave us a cat that was terrorizing its mother and siblings. I have never liked cats very much (I do not hate them, but I just do not really connect), but my wife and the cat have bonded.
. Have you considered using a dog walker to help with the excercise demands?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post