SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I miss Purell hand sanitizer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I miss Purell hand sanitizer Login/Join 
posted
Oh how I miss the regular old Purell / Germ X hand sanitizers. It seems everyone in the world is making sanitizer but no one can match the consistency or odor free formula.

Back when this first started I ordered the Chemical Guy sanitizer but it has residual odor from the chemicals they made and your hands reek and its unusable.

The vodka style sanitizers are ok but you spill half on the floor.

The aloe vera base ones are sticky and dont absorb well.

Most of the others I tried have always seem to have some kind of odor.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah... I use hand sanitizer frequently, and all the hand sanitizers nowadays seem to reek like cheap vodka.

Likely just using cheaper/easier/simpler formulas in order to speed production to meet demand.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We made our own with aloe gel and 90% alcohol. TBH, in using it, I can't really discern much difference between it and the Purell I used to use ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The smell makes me want to vomit. Smells like aristocrat vodka or tequila.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Our local Meijer has had a bunch of Germ-X lately and excellent prices too - 8 oz pump or flip top bottle for $2.99 and 32 oz for $6.49. I stocked up and got enough for probably a couple years worth. Keep in several places in the house, each car, 2 oz carry with size, and a couple 32 oz refill bottles. Good stuff! The Mexican made stuff I tried was nasty and most of it recalled for having methanol in it.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GermX at Meijer is your best shot of finding some of the good stuff.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped in CVS to get a birthday card and low and behold stumble across some Germ X.

Ask and you shall receive.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m lucky. A coworker’s mom works at Purell and supplies us with the good stuff!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Best stuff I have got during all this was just a few weeks ago. A gallon at Costco, for $16.99. no nasty smell. Just smells like sanitizer and inexpensive. I've seen the smaller bottles go for the same amount and be like 10-12 oz.

You think what you have is bad. I was down to almost zero of the stuff early on. I went into my local grocery store late one night and caught the stockers. They had just put some sanitizer on the shelf. Not travel size, but the bigger bottle. Like when I could finally get TP I was happy, right up until I used the stuff. It smelled like a fish's ass hole. I mean, literally, like you caught some fish in the pacific, and never took it out of your boat, only to return in say 2 weeks and discover you forgot. It's called "ocean fresh" and man is it ripe. The customer service counter at the grocery store is where I pay for my tags for all my vehicles. I went in there shortly after and they have a bottle of it there for them and for customers to use. I called it fish's ass hole sanitizer and the lady behind the counter almost fell over she was laughing so hard. There is some real bad product on the market right now. And I still can't find rubbing alcohol local. Not that I need it anymore after scoring that full gallon.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I live 5 minutes from Gojo, the maker of Purell, and it's still sold out around here.

I too, don't like the off brand stuff. I had 2 32 oz. bottles of GermX prior to the panic and recently had to buy a 32 oz bottle off of eBay Frown

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Germ-X too...was lucky to score several smaller bottles at Wally World (WalMart) last week.

so, there is some out there...just keep yours eyes open.

Posts: 186 | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Is Palmer's Advanced Hand sanitizer any good?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Amazon has Germ-X in stock for excellent price if one is good with 4 32 oz bottles for $18. Ships free and sold and shipped by Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Germ-X-...id=1599178090&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Germ-x-...id=1599178226&sr=8-1

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Had some at work that smelled like tequila and felt like lube. You'd probably only mistake it for lube once though.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Amazon has Germ-X in stock for excellent price if one is good with 4 32 oz bottles for $18. Ships free and sold and shipped by Amazon.

Lots of reviews saying this stuff is fake with water as the first ingredient rather than true Germ-X which has water way way down the list.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Lots of reviews saying this stuff is fake with water as the first ingredient rather than true Germ-X which has water way way down the list.

First "inactive" ingredient is water for Germ-X as it is on Purell as shown on back of package. Unless Meijer has been selling bogus Germ-X and Purell, though I seriously doubt it. I supposed they could have changed formula a bit too over time. Ethyl alcohol content is 62 percent.

Currently it is shipped and sold by Amazon and it would be highly unusual for them to sell any ship fake stuff.

Picture of back of bottle from Target website also shows water as top inactive ingredient.

https://www.target.com/p/germ-...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

The Germ-X linked to on Amazon has ethyl alcohol 62% listed as the primary ingredient. One of the pictures shows the label on the back, with a list of ingredients.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
The smell makes me want to vomit. Smells like aristocrat vodka or tequila.

The stuff they provide at work smells like rot gut tequila. *bleeeech*

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
The stuff that the inmates at NYS prisons are making smells like urinal cakes. Nobody uses it because of the smell. Honestly, I’m not using much sanitizer anymore. I’m quite over this scamdemic.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rushfan65
posted Hide Post
I work for a large pharmaceutical manufacturer, largest generic globally. We use so much of it that each site makes their own now. Pretty much all alcohol, but your hands are really clean, lol. I think if you came near an open flame, you would probably ignite!!!

Posts: 379 | Location: Margate, FL | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post