SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Parents creating competition where there wasn't any
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parents creating competition where there wasn't any Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
It's not the kids it's the parents. It's why I don't do pediatric nursing and what causes most of my angst in coaching. We recognize our archers on the team for tournament wins, major tournament appearances, awards, etc. One set of parents takes exception when someone else besides their child is the center of attention. It's creating a false competition, it's not direct competition on the range, it's competition for attention and recognition. It's ugly and it needs to stop.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Vicarious happiness on the part of the parents??

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Youth football might be the absolute worst when it comes to this. I've never coached, don't have the desire to and never will volunteer for such an awful task. I've had close friends who did and the problems came from the parents more than it did from the kids.

Why not just let the kids play, have fun and let the results speak for themselves?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patriot_1776
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Why not just let the kids play, have fun and let the results speak for themselves?

Heaven forbid! What happens if Junior is only mediocre? That realization, and the shame may impact him for the rest of his life.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1616 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not familiar with Archery, but football, absolutely.

In youth football the coaches son would carry the football and get 4 yds a try. We had a great team.
4 yds a run is really good. My son would carry the football and he averaged a TD every 3 carries.

The coach said that scoring on 3 plays was not a good way to win..
So, the only time my son carried the football is when we needed a quick score.

In high school our team did not play the best kids. My son played, but there were 3 others who sat the bench, while kids played who had the "right" last name, but were not very good. We went to the state semi finals. I just wonder what could have been, had we actually played the best players? I am not sure if it was just the coach or parents who had a hand in it?
I never was in with the "in" crowd.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The leagues need to write rule for parental behavior into an agreement that they need to sign for their children to participate. If they refuse to sign or if the parent violates the rules, their kid is out, no questions asked.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Vicarious happiness on the part of the parents??
Yup, I didn't so little Johnny or Susie will, by gods.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Little League - City police have call outs to the fields almost every night.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot_1776:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Heaven forbid! What happens if Junior is only mediocre? That realization, and the shame may impact him for the rest of his life.

Worse, if you don't play little Johnny now, he'll not get into a good college or get scouted by the NFL.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
my ex golf buddy is a high school coach he starts looking for recruits when they enter the first grade. I kid you not, with all the leagues and teams that travel every where it's just stupid. the kids are not having fun.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post