SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Harry's razor is selling out to Schick
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harry's razor is selling out to Schick Login/Join 
posted
Harry's is now in the process of selling out out to Schick for a billion dollars. This cant be good for the consumer. I didnt know Dollar Shave Club sold out to Unilever a few years ago. Would you believe prices went up after the sale.

Link

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Everybody ends up selling out.

No matter what they tell you, the dollar is still the only thing that matters.

I just switched to Harry’s from Dorco after they stopped selling direct and if prices go up, I guess I’ll be switching again. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
wife uses Dollar Shave Club and still enjoys it. I didn't know they'd sold out to anyone else. but parent companies aren't something that I always, if ever, realize i guess. The wife hasn't complained about the blades from DSC, i guess.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I guess that's better than selling to Gillette ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I guess I’ll be switching again. Roll Eyes

The problem is who are you going to switch to?

I went from Gilette (years ago) to Dorco. I just switched to Harrys about a 2 months ago.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

The problem is who are you going to switch to?

Probably a multi blade disposable. These higher end disposable razors have gotten really good anymore and seem like a good deal for the money.

I refuse to pay $3-4 for a razor cartridge.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Probably a multi blade disposable.

I humbly suggest that there’s a better way. Wink

And you wouldn’t even believe how much cheaper it is compared to even disposables.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It’s called Capitalism for a reason.

The owners didn’t start a company to virtue signal, they started to make $$$$$.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
It’s called Capitalism for a reason.

The owners didn’t start a company to virtue signal, they started to make $$$$$.

Oh don’t get me wrong, if I started a company from nothing and was working my ass off and someone came by with 1.5 billion dollars, I’d be jumping on that too.

posted Hide Post
Well, it figures. I quit Gillette and agonized over the Dollar Shave Club, Dorco or Harry's and just got my order from them, after I settled on Harry's.

As another poster said, at least it wasn't Gillette.

This stuff always happens to me. I suppose we can hope Schick keeps Harry's as is.

Regardless, I ain't ever going back to the old double-edge. Still have one and some blades to use whenever I think a bleeding might cure whatever is ailing me.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad, Harry's sold a good product.

I prefer: Merkur DE razor, Van Der Hagen (German) blades (Walmart/Target) about $3 bucks and Barbasol or Aveeno Gel.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
GM is Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac, etc. If Schick is smart, they will leave Harry's alone and allow that business to "take" business from the big guys and still bank the profit Harry's makes.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
Regardless, I ain't ever going back to the old double-edge. Still have one and some blades to use whenever I think a bleeding might cure whatever is ailing me.

Bob

Bob, I’ll shoot straight with you. If you’re bleeding from a DE, something in your technique is off. What have you got for a DE and blades? Might even be better to migrate this conversation to the thread I linked above.

I was “taught” how to shave by my father, and he did such a “great” job at it that I basically never shaved in the following 20 years until the Internet truly educated me about it.

With a DE, SE, or one of several straight razors that I own, I can get a better shave, without drawing a drop of blood, than I EVER did with a multi-blade modern anything. It’s all possible, man.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! I have so enjoyed Harry’s razors and blades. Schick please don’t cheapen the product. Please.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I went Dorco - watched for sales (40-50% off) and now have enough razors and handles to shave 20 years after I die.

I already had a 20 year supply of all the typical blades/brands before I bought the Dorco stuff.

Dollar Shave Club IS Dorco products, anyway - just at higher cost. You're just paying a middleman.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
DE works, but for me take too long. I hate shaving, I have dainty skin that gets razor burn easy so I tend to not shave often. When I do its because I have to and usually don't have a lot of time, so a disposable seems to work faster for me. I am not someone who would ever take time to make foam or anything like that.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Hell, isn't that the fantasy? Start your little ol' company and have one of the big guys come in a buy you out for life changing money.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Hell, isn't that the fantasy? Start your little ol' company and have one of the big guys come in a buy you out for life changing money.

Yes, but I have a problem with starting a company on the basis of stop over paying for razors from the big companies then sell out to the big companies.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
DE works, but for me take too long.

Just curious: Which aspect of it?

quote:
I hate shaving, I have dainty skin that gets razor burn easy so I tend to not shave often.

I can heartily relate. I have a heavy beard and a face that's always been sensitive to a razor. I've come to realize that it was a combination of bad training that led to poor technique, combined poor equipment. With a good DE loaded with blades that work with your face, you can get consistently better shaves than you can with the multi-blade disposable plastic stuff. The difference is night and day. I've found that with the lightest touch I can use with a good DE or SE, I can get a great, quick shave in two, or even one pass. Like, "go to work at the office" shave. Three passes, and I can go two days without a hint of stubble, and I can grow a full beard in a matter of weeks.

With one blade, you get one pass per stroke. With five blades, you get five passes per stroke. Each pass strips extra skin cells off your face. The "lift and pull and cut" thing is what leads to so much irritation and ingrown hairs. You don't get that effect with a single blade, and your skin will be in better shape afterwards.

quote:
When I do its because I have to and usually don't have a lot of time,

I take this to mean you shave in the morning? I humbly suggest changing it up a little bit. Shave before you go to bed. Take your time, treat yourself. I used to absolutely hate shaving, to the point where I didn't let a blade touch my face for close to fifteen years. Now I love it because I taught myself to make it not hurt.

quote:
[...]so a disposable seems to work faster for me.

Bro, I'm cringing here. No wonder you hate shaving. There is a better way! Big Grin

quote:
I am not someone who would ever take time to make foam or anything like that.

You don't have to. Barbasol is USA made, was designed for use with a DE razor and formulated to not clog it up the way the modern gel stuff does, it's cheap, widely available, and they market their stuff for men, not transgender girls taking hormone therapy who suddenly don't like having beards.

posted Hide Post
P220Smudge:

I guess I just don't like to shave. I have always had a light beard, but for the last 12 or so years I have had a goatee, which I love.

In 2015, I was diagnosed with throat cancer and, as a result of the radiation treatments, I have no-zero-none at all-beard on my neck or under my jaw or chin. It is smooth as a baby's bottom.

So I only have to have to shave the sides of my face, the areas below the hair and sideburns down to the top of the jaw. And, since the radiation, it is very light, so I can get away with shaving only once or twice a week.

I hate doing it, and generally used a Gillette disposable, but now have dumped them for Harry's. I have an old
DE but I have generally avoided using it for the last 50 years since I got out of the service. I always kept a styptic stick nearby.

Now I don't even have to use shave creme, but I do, sometimes.

So, anything more than a cheap disposable is way too much.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post