SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Two tires in one day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two tires in one day Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Took the Jeep by the local Discount Tire to have a slow leak patched.

Turned out to be a nail near the sidewall that I hadn't found. Too close for them to fix, but close enough for me to plug myself and feel comfortable to keep as a spare until I need to replace all 4.

Driving home from a dinner out with the wife tonight and hit a pot hole in her car. Hard.

Got home and looked and you could see the location of the hit, but the tire and wheel looked good. Drove about 2 miles to and from the store and looked again when I got home--sidewall is bulging.

At least it's one of the pair with the most wear...

But really...ugh. That's two new tires tomorrow, and 5 new ones sometime in the future for the Jeep.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I feel you Chongosuerte! After one of our major hurricanes here with an extensive amount of damage to homes. Large piles of house debris were stacked up in piles out in front of the homes for county removal. They used a bulldozer to push all the piles of debris out into the roads for removal by the large trucks. Problem was for so many, pushing all the roofing debris loaded with roofing nails left large amounts of tire hazards. I ended up eventually replacing two and repairing 4 flats total within a month.

I know the feeling Frown

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't even be so aggravating if I hadn't been doing car stuff the last two days.

Wife's tires rotated, oil changed.
Jeep-attempt to patch, state inspection, oil changed.

Now I get to spend who-knows-how-long sitting at Discount Tire tomorrow getting the two tires replaced. Even with an appointment, I expect at least 2 hours. Today it was over an hour before they got to me, with an appointment. Not my Saturday plan.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I know where you are coming from. A few months ago the tires on my truck were looking kinda sad. The other truck had at least one plug in every tire.

I wound up buying 8 tires in 8 days. With any luck, you didn't have to shop for 20"s.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
When my wife's van had less than 200 miles on it, a sharp piece of gravel ruptured a tire and made it irreparable. Fortunately, the van came with road hazard protection and the tire was replaced free of charge. A few hundred miles later, the same tire had to be replaced due to a piece of metal causing a big slash in the tread.

I hope your day wasn't totally ruined today!

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’m actually pleasantly surprised. 2 tires for the wife’s car, minus the road hazard protection credit and the credit for the good tire, and including their road hazard certificates for the new ones, slightly over $200 OTD.

The Jeep will be closer to $1,500 when the next tire goes. Doh.

-JALLEN

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I just found out that DISCOUNT TIRE offers an online appointment process. Not sure if it saves any time or not, but it might be worth a try.

I also spent a couple of hours at DISCOUNT TIRE yesterday with a roofing nail in a tire. The construction business in northern AZ is booming, but they're slobs.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

I just found out that DISCOUNT TIRE offers an online appointment process. Not sure if it saves any time or not, but it might be worth a try.
The appointment process is now working very well at the Discount Tire store that I go to in Apopka, FL.

The first time I used it, a few years ago, it was worthless. I had an appointment for 11:30. I arrived about ten minutes early and was told it would be an hour and a half before they got to me, as they were still processing walk-ins (who did not have appointments) who arrived before I did.

That was over-the-top aggravating. I went home, wrote a letter -- actual letter in an envelope with a stamp, not an email -- to the CEO of Discount Tire Company in Scottsdale AZ.

A few weeks later I was visited at work by the southeast regional VP of the company. He apologized, and went WAY beyond what was necessary to make it right.

He also informed me that the company had received numerous complaints similar to mine about the appointment process. They issued firm instructions to all store managers, and were in the process of revising the software that handles the online appointment process.

The system is now running smoothly and properly, as far as I can tell from the half dozen visits that I have made since then, all with appointments. My vehicle has been pulled into the bay and work started within five minutes of my appointment time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post