SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Good attitude or good at the job?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good attitude or good at the job? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
There is a balance of course, but I'd rather take a little longer and have someone decent to deal with than an ass that's amazing at his job.

The attitude and entitlement and whining is just getting to me.

Edit for terminology.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve found as often as not that bad attitudes go along with incompetence and poor performance. There are exceptions of course, but I believe that attitude problems are very often a result of 1. the individual’s recognition that he doesn’t really know how to do the job properly and is therefore defensive about it, and 2. learning that he can avoid criticism by being unpleasant to people who offer it. The unfortunate fact is that people who are difficult to get along with and push back receive less criticism because no one wants to deal with them. The people who accept criticism gracefully when it’s justified tend to get more of it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Technical may have been the wrong term. Nothing computer or tech related in which I refer.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'd take good attitude and basic skills. What I do isn't rocket surgery.

I can teach someone what I know as I'm very good at what I do. But I can't teach someone good attitude and dealing with people.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always keep at least once smart ass "bad attitude" person around. Most often he/she is the one likely to let me know when I'm about to step off a cliff. I just have to learn how to hear what that person is saying.

Someone who knows the job well and has the guts to tell me I'm wrong is of great value to me.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'd take good attitude and basic skills. What I do isn't rocket surgery.

I can teach someone what I know as I'm very good at what I do. But I can't teach someone good attitude and dealing with people.

Agree completely. Stupid as it sounds, learned this training dogs. My trainer would always tell me, it's easy to bring an excited dog "down", but it's really hard to bring a timid/frightened/unhappy dog "up".

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve found as often as not that bad attitudes go along with incompetence and poor performance. There are exceptions of course, but I believe that attitude problems are very often a result of 1. the individual’s recognition that he doesn’t really know how to do the job properly and is therefore defensive about it, and 2. learning that he can avoid criticism by being unpleasant to people who offer it. The unfortunate fact is that people who are difficult to get along with and push back receive less criticism because no one wants to deal with them. The people who accept criticism gracefully when it’s justified tend to get more of it.

I agree to a certain extent. If someone is difficult to deal with and has superior skills in a technical area, I will give him an allowance for a lack of social skills. I will not tolerate a bad attitude if he or she is dealing with people in a job that requires much personal interaction. Some people are just assholes, others are socially awkward and some are just plain unskilled in dealing with people.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
You can turn a nice person into a good Plumber. You cannot turn a good Plumber who is an asshole into a nice person.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
You can turn a nice person into a good Plumber. You cannot turn a good Plumber who is an asshole into a nice person.

I, for one, fail to see the relevance of what being nice has to do with properly fixing my plumbing.

Given the choice of a nice guy who may or may not be able to fix my problem (at all?) or an asshole that will have it fixed in an hour, I'll take the asshole EVERY TIME.

Not to mention, but what about the jobs that just *can't* be taught? They do exist, and I'm not talking about artisans or tradesmen. There are some jobs that require such an incredibly high level of intelligence to accomplish that you take what you can get.

When I was in college, one of my goals was to be SO damned good at my job that I would be that guy that no one would ever see. *IF* anyone ever did see me, I'd be wearing flip flops and a hawaiian shirt in a board room full of suits, and they would all listen to what I had to say, and pay attention when I said it.

Let's say it's a heart surgeon - would you want a mediocre surgeon who is a "really nice person", or would you want the absolute best in the business, but has the bedside manner of a mortician? I know who I'd be picking (see above).

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I strongly disagree. Some people myself included simply have poor eye hand coordination and lack performance skills. I was born that way. Takes me forever to put things together despite knowing how it is done. There is no changing that. You might turn me into a plumbers helper but never a plumber.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I, for one, fail to see the relevance of what being nice has to do with properly fixing my plumbing.

Given the choice of a nice guy who may or may not be able to fix my problem (at all?) or an asshole that will have it fixed in an hour, I'll take the asshole EVERY TIME.

Not to mention, but what about the jobs that just *can't* be taught? They do exist, and I'm not talking about artisans or tradesmen. There are some jobs that require such an incredibly high level of intelligence to accomplish that you take what you can get.

Let's say it's a heart surgeon - would you want a mediocre surgeon who is a "really nice person", or would you want the absolute best in the business, but has the bedside manner of a mortician? I know who I'd be picking (see above).

Yeah agree. Just saw your post. I know lots of surgeons and many are very disagreeable individuals. I would not want to be the First Assist or a scrub nurse with them, but they could have superior performance skills.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

Can't say as I've ever met a heart surgeon who wasn't a raving arrogant asshole. Wink

I think they must go to the same charm school as neurosurgeons.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
You send a rude asshole to a customers home it will usually be the last visit from your business.
I will not tolerate that in my home and would not expect others to put up with it.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
But do remember that a bad manager can change a good employee into an asshole too.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can't say as I've ever met a heart surgeon who wasn't a raving arrogant asshole

Nicely put. Agree completely.

Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Some people develop a bad attitude because their coworkers suck and they always end up doing the bulk of the work. The boss may prefer someone with a great attitude, but unless they are going to pick up the slack personally, they should really be focused on balancing the workload instead of "who is smiling today".

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work with a guy who has a great attitude and is an absolutely useless turd. But he's a happy turd with a good attitude.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
What I do and our employees do ISN'T "rocket surgery" as quoted from above. That's why I'd take the good attitude. I've dealt with enough people with pissy attitudes, and in this field, I don't need it, as I typically can't train it out of them.

Granted, you need a reasonable amount of intelligence. But plenty of people on the planet have that. I don't see why wanting a cheerful demeanor is too much too ask, and with all other things equal, I'll take that over a technically superior employee with a shit attitude that I have to keep finding other employees to work with (cuz everyone else keeps quitting dt aholes attitude). Mine is a equal playing field teamwork environment.

A plumber or heart surgeon isn't the same. They are solo players (maybe not plumbers, so much, but I rarely see two at my house unless one is training in). Everyone else is a peon to them. And iirc, that is how heart surgeons are trained. They HAVE to believe they are superior- they literally hold a life in their hands. If you ever get a chance, sit in on a med school lecture regarding this- they are told- everyone in the operating theater is depending on what you do and tell others to do - the support staff, the patient, everyone. Carry that load on your back, and I bet you'd be a bit more direct in your conversation, too. No time to waste.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I'll take solid work from an ass hole any day over a nice guy with poor skills.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I'll take solid work from an ass hole any day over a nice guy with poor skills.

You would LOVE my ortho surgeon. Complete and absolute prick who did *stellar* work on me.
I had some issues with him but damned if he isn't a great surgeon.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post