SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who bring their (sick) kids around.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who bring their (sick) kids around. Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted
"Oh, he's had that cough for a couple days."

"Oh, he shouldn't be contagious anymore."

"Oh, it's just the sniffles."

About to drop kick the SIL for bringing the carrier monkey and his baby sister over to the property, repeatedly. And of course I'm the inconsiderate one for having our health in mind, yet I'm the one to never gets sick?

"Wanna hold the baby?" - Not while they are sick

"Wanna get eat dinner with them?" - Not while they are sick

"Wanna go to the pool with them?" - Not while they are sick

But of course the wife and kids are sick anyway, from just 'holding the baby' or being around the grandparents (who hold the baby / play with the monkey).

I've had it out with this SIL once before, but since there is concern she'd likely jump off a bridge or something if I gave her both barrels of the truth (she's on plenty of 'bitch be cool' medicine, or so I'm told), I have to take my attack to the flanks and pepper the In-laws and the BIL with heavy indirect fire.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift, but your rant reminds of the insanity I feel when I run into parents who will not immunize their kids.

Last week I was sitting at the doctor's clinic with one of my kids.

All parents and patients were required to wear masks throughout the visit. (To prevent spread of measles).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's just the continuing saga of disconnected parenting.

Said parents think it's the two sets of grandparents responsibility to figure out who is watching said patient zero kid, since they both want to work.

Said parents subscribe to the "stop, or I'll count to 3 again with no repercussion" method of parenting.

Said SIL wants as many family events as possible (not at her house, mind you) so she can ignore the kids and read a book on her phone.

I feel for you up there in the land on insanity (MN, right?) and all that madness. The mask thing hasn't hit down here, yet.

posted Hide Post
When my kid was in day care and later in elementary school, we were all constantly infected with something. Kid sick? Fine! Ship him off to someone else to deal with. And infect!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm obviously used to the school infection thing. But my kids have been out of school for going on 3 weeks now and this carrier monkey has been out of his 'Pre-K' deal for the same amount of time.

But his mom drags him to all the little kiddie play places (can't sit at home with him) and he is always sick as $hit. So she drops him at the inlaws and eventually it makes it's way over to here. But I've put a kibosh on the kids going to the grandparents until this shit has cleared up.

And then the MIL says "we haven't seen the kids in weeks" - Ah, you're sick, they are (now) sick, reality check please.

"Oh, so and so says you should bring them over to swim" - Oh, the family with the sweet 95 year old great grandma? Sure we'd love to see her but we aren't gonna be the family to give her the flu and knock her out for the count, thank you very much.

Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that drives me insane. These parents that either push off responsibility to someone else, or refuse to miss an event. I couldn't tell you how many times we haven't been able to do something, or had to cancel an event last minute because of a sick kid. It's called being responsible.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Slight thread drift, but your rant reminds of the insanity I feel when I run into parents who will not immunize their kids.

Last week I was sitting at the doctor's clinic with one of my kids.

All parents and patients were required to wear masks throughout the visit. (To prevent spread of measles).

Hang on? What? So, you & yours had to wear masks in the docs office, because someone there didn't immunize there kids? It wasn't some sort of special case where the kid couldn't receive the vaccine?

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hang on? What? So, you & yours had to wear masks in the docs office, because someone there didn't immunize there kids? It wasn't some sort of special case where the kid couldn't receive the vaccine?

Not quite.

1> You've got the anti vaccination folks who spread misinformation about vaccines and use dopy Hollywood types as their 'scientific' reference.

2> And a bigger problem, is that Minneapolis/St Paul is one of the (if not the) largest Somalia population in the United States. They are not exactly embracing vaccination and have had a recent area outbreak traced to them.

https://www.pri.org/stories/20...s-gaps-public-health

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
People who bring their sick selves around (work) suck, too.

I'm sorry if your hacking cough and snotty nose and fever are getting in the way of your vacation plans, but keep your nasty junk away from healthy people in the office.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not quite.

1> You've got the anti vaccination folks who spread misinformation about vaccines and use dopy Hollywood types as their 'scientific' reference.

2> And a bigger problem, is that Minneapolis/St Paul is one of the (if not the) largest Somalia population in the United States. They are not exactly embracing vaccination and have had a recent area outbreak traced to them.

Wow. Though, now that I think about it, it's probably not the worst thing to wear a mask in the Pediatrician's office to protect you from the crud.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
quote:
quote:

Not quite.

Wow. Though, now that I think about it, it's probably not the worst thing to wear a mask in the Pediatrician's office to protect you from the crud.

Yeah, but mask should be on the non-vaccinated carrier.

I'd love to tell these idiots:
Don't want a mask? Here's a shot.

Don't want the shot? Here's a mask. Oh, and stay out of public places.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:

Yeah, but mask should be on the non-vaccinated carrier.

I'd love to tell these idiots:
Don't want a mask? Here's a shot.

Don't want the shot? Here's a mask. Oh, and stay out of public places.

Agree completely. I just meant all the OTHER crud in these offices.

posted Hide Post
I guess I'll have to be the voice of dissent. Not about the other issues you mention with the SIL, but about the sick kids.

Unless it's a gastro bug or something a doctor has advised you to avoid people for come on over germs and all.

Granted this is usually in relation to people we want to visit with, and not someone we don't want to see anyway. Smile

We like to have "play dates" with other parents and their kids and have many times either theirs or ours has something "going on". Seems to be status quo for a kid in day care. When it's ours we always tell them in advance so if they want to bow out they can, but to date I don't think we or anyone has ever declined. Exposure is good for the immune system, or something like that Big Grin

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Children are simply portable biological warfare development facilities which bear slight resemblance to small human beings. Keep them away from me unless they've been in quarantine for a few weeks and have a clean bill of health.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I remember growing up in the late '50s, one mom would let it be known that her child had chickenpox. Our moms sent us over to play....

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1960's when I was a lifeguard at a private pool we charged $40 for membership for the whole summer. We were open on weekdays from 12 noon til 9 pm. We had parents who would pay a baby sitter for the morning then drop the kids off at the pool til they got off work. Did not give a damn what happened to the kid. We closed the pool and sent everyone home if there was a thunderstorm. Those parents would not come and get them. Til we told them that we charged $50 a hour to baby sit after we closed down the pool.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
If you sneezed without covering your nose/mouth in their direction, I bet the parent will move their kid away from you.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post