SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Canucks are making buy another gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Canucks are making buy another gun Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Damn Canada and their firearms laws!

Planning a road trip with a friend this summer making a big loop out of Anchorage to Haines, AK, ferry to Skagway, AK and then drive back to Anchorage. Going for photography of the Tormented Valley north of Skagway and brown bears in Haines. Well, we have to cross the Yukon Territory on the way over and then clip a corner of British Columbia before crossing back into Alaska. Then after leaving Skagway we have to cross the Yukon Territory again before crossing back over into Alaska.

So what about protection while out photographing brown bears in case one gets more interested in us than salmon? Well, a handgun with anything less than a 4.1" barrel is, "Forbidden" to transport in Canada. Which means my 629 Mountain Gun has to stay home.

So now the search starts for a Ruger Redhawk with a 4.2" barrel. In this case, size matters...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could do like Canadian cops and shout, "Halt!" as you show him your badge.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When we drove through BC and Yukon to Alaska in 2000, I took my 18" barreled 870. No issues at the border, I told them all about it and nobody batted an eyelid. It was always slung over my shoulder when we were out fishing or whatever. I don't know what changes in their laws may have happened in the 20 years since then, though.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Is there any way to take advantage of all the newly outlawed guns that will be for sale in Canada? 1/2 priced ARs should be available I'd think?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
You could do like Canadian cops and shout, " Halt, eh! as you show him your badge.

FIFY, haha.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you mail your gun to yourself in Alaska?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I think the USA should annex whatever land is needed to allow free unencumbered travel to/from Alaska and Washington State.

Posts: 11813 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I think the USA should annex whatever land is needed to allow free unencumbered travel to/from Alaska and Washington State.

THIS! And Vancouver (and all the other west coast islands) Island too!

And now you can justify a 10mm 1911 5" purchase. Totally legit now!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to say that a handgun is not allowed to be used in Canada anywhere but an approved range. The only exemptions are for those with a "trappers permit",which are few and far between.
As you may have seen in the news lately firearms owners and their rights in Canada are under attack right now. Under the new prohibition on "assault" rifles it has been pointed out that 10 or 12 gauge shotguns with a removable choke are now prohibited under the new poorly written legislation due to bore size restrictions.
The list of prohibited firearms is a complete joke and includes mortars, stinger missiles and one airsoft rifle.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that Canada's won't allow
US citizens to transport a handgun in Canada. Been a good number of years but my Sister and her Husband moved to Alaska for 6 years when he was transferred to Eagle River AFB. They decided to drive up with the kids and when he got to the Canadian side he reported that he had his fathers S&W model 59 with him. He was told to turn around and go back to a trading post about 30 miles back and ship his handgun to a gun shop in Anchorage. Actually the Canadian Border officers were very helpful and even told him which gun shop in Anchorage to use.

I'll also note that if Canada's new legislation actually bans 12 and 10 gage shotguns they have gone and squarely shot themselves in the foot. Because there is a lot of Tourism Hunting and Fishing in Canada and you are not going to find many hunters going after Geese or Ducks willing to do that with a 20 gage. What they will do is find lodges here on the US side to hunt from. In addition this ban will close down the Canadian Shotgun teams because you don't shoot Olympic Skeet or Trap with a 20 gage.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Like they care that the Olympic Team is screwed if they don't care about all that hunting tourism money.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kxc223:
I'm sorry to say that a handgun is not allowed to be used in Canada anywhere but an approved range.

Wasn't planning to use it in Canada. Was wanting to have it for carry when in Haines, Alaska. Unfortunately I have to transit Canada to get there and have to apply for a permit to transport.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
It's my understanding that Canada's won't allow US citizens to transport a handgun in Canada. .

Not true. US citizens can transport handguns across Canada. You have to apply for a permit to transport in advance and have it approved. It is a PITA, but the process is straight forward and I had no issues at all when I drive the ALCAN to get up here.

Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Under the new prohibition on "assault" rifles it has been pointed out that 10 or 12 gauge shotguns with a removable choke are now prohibited under the new poorly written legislation due to bore size restrictions.

Because sporting over/unders are a danger to society.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
__________________________________________________________________________________
You could do like Canadian cops and shout, " Halt, eh! as you show him your badge.
__________________________________________________________________________________

It's from a children's book entitled "Good Families Don't." It's hilarious, my kids loved it when they were young. (Don't fart, that is.)

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Take a 12 ga with slugs...zero issues.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Take a 12 ga with slugs...zero issues.

Exactly!
I hope to go to AK. next month and after researching the laws decided a 12 gauge pump action gun was the easiest and best solution. Bought some Berneke slugs and I’m good to go. Now if the damn border would open up...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We should just give California to Mexico and then claim British Columbia and the Yukon Territory as our 50th state.

Posts: 471 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I heard you can have ‘animal defense’ spray in Canada? I realize they don’t want you to have human pepper spray.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
My brother does a not of fishing and I've asked him what caliber pistol the guides carry when is is in remote parts of Alaska. He said they rarely have a pistol - generally a shotgun (~20" barrel) with slugs. Don't know if this info helps but thought I'd pass it on.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post